Gun Emplacement Facility

Have a feature request for SRU? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: Gun Emplacement Facility

Post by Balthagor »

Thanks for the feedback! Anyone else?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

I also think gun emplacements should be more powerfull. In many cases they used decomissioned battleship guns. And since one shore gun is worth up to 10 ship guns, maybe gun emplacements are too weak...
Please teach AI everything!
Cdiplayer
Colonel

Post by Cdiplayer »

One thing I would like to note is that I think gun emplacements should be added into Cold War and all other scenarios as well. i know they aren't as common nowadays but I think they're fun to use. :D
Scoose
Major

Post by Scoose »

Totally agree with other comments about gun emplacements being weak.
Eldin
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Eldin »

I like them a lot but I agree they could be more powerfull. I can think of a few locations where they should be added on the map in Norway.
SoB
Brigadier Gen.

Post by SoB »

Game still installing so I don't know if they there or not but Simmons town has a number of batteries defending it (big ass Battle ship guns) and a few other places had them to. Never fired a shot in anger but they there. Though now they use 76mm not 16" shells.
You plastic soldiers i will turn you in to real soldiers

CPO Mzinyati
Felius
Warrant Officer

Post by Felius »

Further thoughts on gun emplacement facilities: One of the problems I'm seeing with them, in particular with France's in 1936's start, is that since they do not count as units, they don't block enemy units simply capturing the hex they are in, barely taking a single shot in the process.

Edit:
In a different note: Having a future tech equivalent of the gun emplacement could be nice. A "laser emplacement" facility maybe? :P
GreenGoblin
Brigadier Gen.

Post by GreenGoblin »

Felius wrote:Further thoughts on gun emplacement facilities: One of the problems I'm seeing with them, in particular with France's in 1936's start, is that since they do not count as units, they don't block enemy units simply capturing the hex they are in, barely taking a single shot in the process.

Edit:
In a different note: Having a future tech equivalent of the gun emplacement could be nice. A "laser emplacement" facility maybe? :P
This kinda makes sense. I mean, what use is a gun emplacement without a garrison?
Felius
Warrant Officer

Post by Felius »

GreenGoblin wrote:
Felius wrote:Further thoughts on gun emplacement facilities: One of the problems I'm seeing with them, in particular with France's in 1936's start, is that since they do not count as units, they don't block enemy units simply capturing the hex they are in, barely taking a single shot in the process.

Edit:
This kinda makes sense. I mean, what use is a gun emplacement without a garrison?
If I'm interpreting what happened with France in my game correctly, because it's just a single Gun Emplacement instead of a bunch of facilities and/i] gun emplacements, it can't take garrisons, at least not in sufficient numbers. I'll need to recheck it later, but it does seem rather weird, specially with how Germany can simply move through the Maginot line without even pausing, instead of having to bypass it or the like.
Rhaycen
Major

Post by Rhaycen »

I've made good use of the gun emplacements, specially in choke points.

I had a war between Italy and Germany at the Austrian (Germany) and Italian border, I placed a couple of these at the mountain pass that most units funnel through and that emplacement with some additional Ranger & Artillery support held off the initial attack extremely effectively.
GreenGoblin
Brigadier Gen.

Post by GreenGoblin »

I would like to bump the fact that the Maginot line is effectively meaningless in-game. It should really have great strategic value and force the German play to flank through Belgium or Italy.
geminif4ucorsair
General

Post by geminif4ucorsair »

SGTscuba wrote:2 or 3 hexes depending on the range setting in difficulty.
A bit more specific approach should be given to SR-1936, for those installations pre-set in the game.

I am alluding to the fact that several of the sites suggested above did not have the same quality and range of artillery emplacements.
For example:

* U.S. sties mentioned used surplus 16"/50 guns ordered and built for the never completed "South Dakota" class battleships and their performance outclassed the older guns installed at several of the fortifications listed above (as most of those used gun from scrapped
ships or medium caliber guns removed from older BB/BC types (9.4", etc.), partly because these sites were built during WW One and did not have benefit of the latest heavy guns.

The exception was the limited number of German 15" guns used, surplus guns for the "Bismarck" BB class.

I think, whether the game is played as Moderate or Hard, the one, two or three hex criteria for each "pre-sited" location at the beginning of the game should be "fixed", based on the actual gun ranges of guns installed.
geminif4ucorsair
General

Re: Gun Emplacement Facility - drop Singapore

Aragos wrote:Recommendation: Once you guys get the Guns working, I suggest replacing all of the Maginot Line hexes with them. The ML had large, emplaced gun batteries, as well as extensive field fortifications.

Other locations:
--Singapore
Singapore should not be included, as it was not built - all of which was on the north coast to protect the naval base and dockyards
there - in 1936. :-(

More details and hex suggestions will follow on Aragos's suggested locations and maybe another or two (Sveaborg; Sweden; Holy Loch, Scotland; Kronstadt Naval Base (that of naval base "Tallinn" was not completed until 1939. Kronstadt and Sveaborg were the strongest fortification in the Baltic, 1936. In the Black Sea, Odessa and Sevastopol should not be omitted from any '36 listing.

Add to this should also include Narvik and Oslo, Norway (not the prominent German losses during the invasion efforts, including
heavy cruiser BLUCHER).

A useful guide for European sites:
Fortress Europe: European Fortifications Of World War II
By J. E. Kaufmann, Robert M. Jurga
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

geminif4ucorsair wrote:
SGTscuba wrote:2 or 3 hexes depending on the range setting in difficulty.
A bit more specific approach should be given to SR-1936, for those installations pre-set in the game.

I am alluding to the fact that several of the sites suggested above did not have the same quality and range of artillery emplacements.
For example:

* U.S. sties mentioned used surplus 16"/50 guns ordered and built for the never completed "South Dakota" class battleships and their performance outclassed the older guns installed at several of the fortifications listed above (as most of those used gun from scrapped
ships or medium caliber guns removed from older BB/BC types (9.4", etc.), partly because these sites were built during WW One and did not have benefit of the latest heavy guns.

The exception was the limited number of German 15" guns used, surplus guns for the "Bismarck" BB class.

I think, whether the game is played as Moderate or Hard, the one, two or three hex criteria for each "pre-sited" location at the beginning of the game should be "fixed", based on the actual gun ranges of guns installed.
Substantial numbers of guns were specifically-designed coastal artillery. Good examples include the US 'pop-up' guns and mortars at Manila Bay, the Panama Canal, San Francisco and New York City--IIRC, those were actual coastal guns (in general) vice naval guns adapted to shore batteries.
geminif4ucorsair
General

Agree about really old guns being specially built, as with 'pop-up' guns - but most remained removed guns from ships designated surplus during WW One.

Beyond that, the newer guns - more relevant to SR-1936 - were guns built as "replacements" for more modern, post-WW One
completed battleships and a lot of formerly-stored 5"/40 cal guns off destroyers, etc. Those should be considered as part of the capabilities of Fortification - Coastal Defense Sites in SR-36.

References to their locations are easily found on internet, indicating BG did not research this in advance of release.
Unfortunate.

Return to “Suggestions - SRU”