Tech Tree - Tech effects and progression.

Have a feature request for SRU? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Tech Tree - Tech effects and progression.

Post by Balthagor »

There has been concern by some in the past that some technologies "have no effect". It's not our intention to have a bunch of dead end effects, but there is also some debate on how much effect they should have or what it should be. In this thread, I'd like those who see a tech that they think is a true dead end to please post its full name and tech year. That's all that is needed, I will look them up and see what their stats are.

Please search before posting to be sure it hasn't been reported previously.

[Edit: The following techs are confirmed dead ends on my list, 20947]
[Edit: 01/06/15 list updated]
  • Flak Towers, 1940 (waiting for mesh)
    Nano Weaponry, 2026 (Large domestic and international opinion hit)
    Controlled Genetic Mutation, 2035 (Large domestic and international opinion hit)
    Commercial Video Gaming, 1972 (Easter Egg)
    Digital Video Broadcasting, 1996 (DAR benefits, but debatable benefit)
    Satellite TV, 1967 (DAR benefits, but debatable benefit)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Zuikaku
General

Re: Tech Tree - Tech effects and progression.

Post by Zuikaku »

There are also many techs without any description of effects they have. Maybe these techs are not dead end or without effect, but we do not know that....
Please teach AI everything!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Such as?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Balthagor wrote:Such as?

Commercial refrigeration. Has no listed any effects at all. So, does it have any effects (like improved agricultural output by 20%) or not?!

And there are other techs which might have unknown or unclear effects....
Nitrous Oxide
Lieutenant

Post by Nitrous Oxide »

Zuikaku wrote:
Balthagor wrote:Such as?

Commercial refrigeration. Has no listed any effects at all. So, does it have any effects (like improved agricultural output by 20%) or not?!

And there are other techs which might have unknown or unclear effects....
I honestly think it's a precursor/prerequisite. There's a tech two levels down from Commercial Refrigeration that actually has an effect.

But yeah, there are a ton of technologies that don't seem to have any real practical effect (unless they're all just prereq techs for one unit as a superpower, not helpful when playing as lesser nations)...

A better method of conveying what purpose the technologies serve wouldn't be bad.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Commercial Refrigeration is need for Commercial Food Processing. As there is no tech level, the only thing that keeps a player from researching lasers and phasers is the techs that precede them.

For those really ambitious people, you can start a game as Liberia in '36, click through the tech tree and add mechs to your research list on the first day. Probably a little too ambitious...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Nitrous Oxide
Lieutenant

Post by Nitrous Oxide »

Balthagor wrote:Commercial Refrigeration is need for Commercial Food Processing. As there is no tech level, the only thing that keeps a player from researching lasers and phasers is the techs that precede them.

For those really ambitious people, you can start a game as Liberia in '36, click through the tech tree and add mechs to your research list on the first day. Probably a little too ambitious...
That gets me thinking, maybe there should be a something that shows all the potential future/not-current-generation units a region can research? It seems like a pain to figure out when I can build planes as Israel during the Cold War (other than the Queen Bee anyways). If there was an easy way to see what paths I needed to take to get certain units, I think it would be pretty invaluable.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Balthagor wrote:Commercial Refrigeration is need for Commercial Food Processing. As there is no tech level, the only thing that keeps a player from researching lasers and phasers is the techs that precede them.

...and Commercial Food Processing is needed for? Or has effect of? Didn't have any before but maybe you added some in SR36/U.

As for Liberia, been there, done that :lol: :lol: :lol:
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

My point is that fhen "effect field" is empty it leaves player confused and under impression that tech is a dead end, has no purpose at all or the only purpose is to waste time and money. So why not filling effect field with some explanations like "tech needed to further improve agricultural output by investing in researching commercial food processing".

Ofcourse, this is a very, very low priority thing on our wishlist cause of... you know... SUT and diplomacy. :D
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Nitrous Oxide wrote:...That gets me thinking...
I'm going to a forum ninja in this thread, I'm trying to accomplish a task. Please stay on topic and post new ideas in new threads.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

number47 wrote:...and Commercial Food Processing is needed for?...
Improved Military Logistics which has bonuses. If you want to confirm prereq links, you can look this up in game very easily now.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Zuikaku wrote:...So why not filling effect field with some explanations ...
A few reasons. Word count on localization. Development time required.
Zuikaku wrote:...under impression that tech is a dead end...
Then they didn't look at the techs it unlocks. Dead end by definition is "goes nowhere".
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Balthagor wrote:
number47 wrote:...and Commercial Food Processing is needed for?...
Improved Military Logistics which has bonuses. If you want to confirm prereq links, you can look this up in game very easily now.
number47 wrote:Didn't have any before (in SRCW when it was implemented) but maybe you added some in SR36/U.
I was taking out of my head since I'm not at home and can't check in-game... :P
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Balthagor wrote: Then they didn't look at the techs it unlocks. Dead end by definition is "goes nowhere".
Not saying they are dead, but players sometimes do not have a clue what are they for or if they are worth effort and money to research (this is again sometimes important when playing smaller regions which can't afford to research everything).
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Zuikaku wrote:
Balthagor wrote: Then they didn't look at the techs it unlocks. Dead end by definition is "goes nowhere".
Not saying they are dead, but players sometimes do not have a clue what are they for or if they are worth effort and money to research (this is again sometimes important when playing smaller regions which can't afford to research everything).
well, you can go through the tech tree to see if it unlocks something important to you...

Return to “Suggestions - SRU”