UI Suggestion: Rename Units

Have a feature request for SRU? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

DasVivo
Warrant Officer
Human: Yes

UI Suggestion: Rename Units

Post by DasVivo »

Hi,

This is a relatively minor suggestion and may not be a high priority for your team but one I will mention all the same.
In the previous installments of SR you were able to rename any unit you had selected if I recall correctly, SR Ultimate unfortunately has made this considerably more difficult by forcing you to have the unit deployed first of all and you can only do it by selecting the unit through the units listing (Eg: can't just find it on the map)

In Armies with large numbers of specific unit types this can prove incredibly tedious and I believe would be improved by just being able to have a unit selected and rename via selecting it from the map..

Cheers
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Re: UI Suggestion: Rename Units

Post by Balthagor »

I opened the game to give this some thought, I really have no idea how this would be done "on map". Can you describe what you mean in more detail? The exact actions you are thinking of?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
DasVivo
Warrant Officer

Post by DasVivo »

Balthagor wrote:I opened the game to give this some thought, I really have no idea how this would be done "on map". Can you describe what you mean in more detail? The exact actions you are thinking of?
Sorry I probably could have written this better.

What I mean is if I want to rename at a unit, at current i have to:

#1) Deploy the Unit
#2) Go to the 'Defense' Tab
#3) Find it under 'Deployed Units'
#4) Rename Unit

What I think would be far easier is if you can select a unit, whether that be under the 'Deployed' or 'Reserve' Unit Sections of 'Defense' or indeed by finding the unit on the map and selecting it, I should then be able to rename it... If I have 200 T-72 it is not necessarily easiest to dig through a list of units that at most shows 5-6 units at a time to find the one in question.... You can make it a little easier by making sure if all the other units are without orders that the one in question is following an order so its text changes color but that is about it....

Again this is a relatively minor complaint, but I do remember it being easier under SR2020 so I imagine it is not such an impossible change
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Well the UI has totally changed since SR2020. It's all about how to make the function accessible.
DasVivo wrote:What I think would be far easier is if you can select a unit, whether that be under the 'Deployed' or 'Reserve' Unit Sections of 'Defense' or indeed by finding the unit on the map and selecting it, I should then be able to rename it...
You still haven't suggested how to this would work. From Deployed, once the unit is selected, you have a button in the UI to rename the selected unit. In Reserve, the UI has a full set of buttons along the right of the list. We can't add it there without taking something out. Are you suggesting taking something out or do you have a suggestion for where else to put the button?

And you said "finding the unit on the map and selecting it", but you don't interact with the units on the map. Once selected, the UI in the bottom is how you interact with them, and again there is a full set of buttons.
DasVivo wrote:You can make it a little easier by making sure if all the other units are without orders that the one in question is following an order so its text changes color but that is about it...
The game already does this. Units with orders have a different colour in the line.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
DasVivo
Warrant Officer

Post by DasVivo »

Balthagor wrote:Well the UI has totally changed since SR2020. It's all about how to make the function accessible.
It has indeed changed, my Point is more that this part of the UI is less intuitive I think
You still haven't suggested how to this would work. From Deployed, once the unit is selected, you have a button in the UI to rename the selected unit. In Reserve, the UI has a full set of buttons along the right of the list. We can't add it there without taking something out. Are you suggesting taking something out or do you have a suggestion for where else to put the button?
I have no idea how it would work because frankly I have no idea how your game engine is built and or its limitations. I can see what you are talking about for a 'Space' for it in the UI, I just have no idea how easy that is to change, whether that could be smaller buttons with an extra added or not I do not know..

An Idea I was thinking which might not allow it for Units in reserve but might help some of the way might be having a rename option under unit orders.... But again without knowing how it all works I cannot really 'suggest' much.. I just thought to share what I noticed what was a more cumbersome aspect of the game, albeit one that may fairly be considered very unimportant
And you said "finding the unit on the map and selecting it", but you don't interact with the units on the map. Once selected, the UI in the bottom is how you interact with them, and again there is a full set of buttons.
No what I meant was that if I want to do anything with a unit that is currently deployed I can select it on the map, there are the 7 Buttons there and there are other Buttons under Unit Orders (Including say the Create Battlegroup Buttons), if in any of that Interface the Rename Unit Option was added, it might provide two means of finding and renaming units.... Either from the Map or from the Deployed Unit List...
The game already does this. Units with orders have a different colour in the line.
Which is what I said.... Looking through the deployed Units List of countless Units this is the easiest way I have found to effectively find the unit I want to rename (I have to give it an order on the map so its name changes colors then I can find it easier in the list, but its still not a great method)

Return to “Suggestions - SRU”