Ricent1

Whether you are new to the forums or a long time contributor take a moment and introduce yourself. What games do you play? What versions of Supreme Ruler have you played? Welcome to our forums!

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

Ricent1
Captain
Human: Yes

Ricent1

Post by Ricent1 »

Hi, my name is Doug and I bought SR2020 about 5 years ago at a used book store and have loved it ever since.

I used to call the Civ series "Risk on steroids". Now I tell friends that Supreme Ruler is Civ on steroids!

I love to play as a poor third world country and try to build them I I a superpower. On Sr2020 I tried for 8 months to turn Kosovo into the rulers of the world with all the hardest settings with no allies, no trades, and no cheats. When Ultimate came out I had over 30 defeats as a bigger European power would eventually steam roll me at some point. I have tucked that away and have started Ultimate as Liberia.

I love history and this game has much woven into it. Back in the 80s I played a board game called "supremacy". Similar to risk, but you had to supply yourself with many commodities to wage a successful campaign. Is this where the SR. series came from. My friends and I would play supremacy over months and leave the board set up in a guy's garage and play when we got off work on Friday nights. Great memories. Anyway, love this game despite the quirks here and there. I can't find any other game that satisfies like this one. Way to go Battlegoat!
Ricent1
Captain

Re: Ricent1

Post by Ricent1 »

Spell check changed my question to a statement. Did SR come from the Supremacy board game idea? Thanks.
Ater
Colonel

Post by Ater »

Welcome to the Forums!
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Ricent1 wrote:Spell check changed my question to a statement. Did SR come from the Supremacy board game idea? Thanks.
I don't think so, I'd have to check with our programmer. The original Supreme Ruler game was written for the TRS-80 in 1982.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Ricent1
Captain

Post by Ricent1 »

Thais for the response. Have you ever heard of the board game or played it? Each commodity would be on a number line with dollar values. Every time you bought, you slid the token to the next price up and every time you sold you slid it down. Lots of strategy and back room politics.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I have heard of it, but never gotten to play.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Though I've heard of Supremacy, I've never played it, and it isn't an influence on the Supreme Ruler series.

As mentioned above, the modern SR games are evolved from an original text-based game from 1982 for the TRS-80 computer series, combined with influences from Panzer General, Command and Conqueur, and Civilization.

The original text-based Supreme Ruler was influenced by some earlier text-based games such as Sumer ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamurabi ), and Santa Paravia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Paravia_en_Fiumaccio ).

So there you go!

Welcome to the BattleGoat forums.

-- George.
Ricent1
Captain

Post by Ricent1 »

Cool. Thanks for the info. I found Supremacy on eBay and it's not as close to SR as I thought. Funny how memories of the past change.
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

Wow, you guys have been designing games since 1982. You must be really old? :lol:

I think I had just started High School in 1982 and I'm regarded as "old" among most of the gamer bbs groups I hang out with :-) You guys must be like the Rolling Stones of the game designer set :P

Return to “Introductions”