Long time listener, first time caller...

Whether you are new to the forums or a long time contributor take a moment and introduce yourself. What games do you play? What versions of Supreme Ruler have you played? Welcome to our forums!

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

Wonderdoodle
Warrant Officer
Human: Yes

Long time listener, first time caller...

Post by Wonderdoodle »

Not sure where to put what I wanted, so I figured I'd throw in my hello, I'm here post in with a question/suggestion I have.

First and foremost. I started on with SR2020 when I ran across a copy of it at a haji shop near the town of Numaniya, Iraq. Fell in love right away and being that this was a pirate copy, the first chance I had back in the US to download a legit copy I did. Yeah, I just admitted to a pirate version, but when you're in the middle of nowhere in Iraq on a FOB that's smaller than a football field, and you're sharing internet that's only a 1Mbps pipe with 40 other guys.. You do what you have to for games because most sites like Steam and other game sites were blocked. So now here we are today, I actually own like 5 different copies of SR2020, SR2020GC, and SR2020 Gold through various websites, and CD's. SRCW was so-so, 1936 was better, and so far SRU is pretty decent. I'm pretty hardcore in that I'll actually ALT+TAB and let my games run in the background on my laptop for weeks on end.

What I'm wondering though.. and something I have for a while, but never really asked:
- Is there a way to, or would you consider making a game that is the same setup as you have, but starts off with very small territories with a lot more "countries" and starting time is like 20,000 BC and you start with a few cavemen with clubs and go all the way through to the future techs of SRU?

Anyways.. Rock on! Thanks for the many hours of my life you've taken from me and my family that I'll never get back. LOL.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Re: Long time listener, first time caller...

Post by GIJoe597 »

Empire Earth - http://www.gog.com/game/empire_earth_gold_edition

Look into later versions of it, I have it, bought it back when it came out, it has everything you ask for, but is dated now.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Ater
Colonel

Post by Ater »

First of all, thank you for your service.

Secondly, I found the game Civilization 5 great for starting early, you start in about 4000 BC and you get to advance through technology and expand your empire. Check it out on youtube.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein
Wonderdoodle
Warrant Officer

Post by Wonderdoodle »

Thanks for your suggestions but I've played all 3 Empire Earth's and they're okay, but not what I'm talking about. And I've been playing the civ games since my Windows 3.1 version of Colonization.

The reason I like SR games so much is the format. There was a game I played prior to SR called Super Power and then SP2, and it was great fun to play online even, but it was clunky. Way too much micromanagement involved IMO, and like the EU series, you were always dealing with subterfuge. With SR it's different. The game makes me want to come back and play it over and over again. You can play it with no end in sight really and take any nation and make it a World power.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Welcome to the BattleGoat Forums, and glad to hear that you're enjoying the games.

First of all, I'm amused and surprised that there would actually be physical pirate copies of SR for sale in Iraq. I mean, really... somebody had to say "hey, we have too many of these AAA counterfeits on the shelf - let's pirate something more interesting!" I guess it's nice to know that they thought of us?

(For those that may be interested, Numaniya is too small to appear on our map, but would be at 1117,262 just south of Nasiriyah.)

Regarding your suggestion of playing Supreme Ruler as a "start small and explore" game, that is actually something that has been thought about in the past. Certainly a lot of games that we take inspiration from play in a "4X" style (explore/expand/exploit/exterminate), including those listed above. I myself loved playing Empire Earth, but was always frustrated that even the "huge" maps were too small, and you were always restricted in the number of units you could build.

There are some engine restrictions in building that type of sandbox, but it's nothing that would be impossible to overcome. The AI would be highly confused by it all though. It is something that I myself would like to see someday as a Mod or bonus extra, though it isn't in our short term plans. But it would be cool :)
Wonderdoodle
Warrant Officer

Post by Wonderdoodle »

Thanks for the welcomes. I do want to add a big thank you to those that replied. One of the other things I like about not just SR but the community is that it's an older community. Not just in age, but in maturity. It's incredible how many times you can see someone or myself for that matter that have posted something like this.. not as a "your game sucks and you need to do this instead" post, but as something that's well intentioned as saying "Thank you for the wonderful game, but gee I wish someday I could see a game like X that also has X" and then get attacked by the community for even thinking to make a suggestion like that.

And yeah Numaniya is a small town, but was/is a strategic point. I forget exactly why, but it has something to do with the bridge there. I think it's the Chris Kyle book about his sniper expeditions where he goes into the town and talks about it's importance.

Return to “Introductions”