Unit with bad stats

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Leafgreen
Colonel

Unit with bad stats

Post by Leafgreen »

Y-8T Yungshuji-8

China, Air Transport, 1981 tech, 0 cargo capacity.
"That's O'neill, with two l's"
(Holds up 3 fingers)
Nerei
General
Human: Yes

Re: Unit with bad stats

Post by Nerei »

I wonder what this aircraft is supposed to represent. Sometimes it can be a bit hard to figure out for countries such as the PRC.
The T model of the Y-8 is basically a flying command post but given that it can conduct IFR I guess "T" might mean tanker? The model it uses (276) appears to be a C-130 with wing-mounted refuelling pods which fits this. I am not sure the PRC has ever fielded IFR capable versions of the Y-8 though.
I know there are a few other IFR tankers that does not have cargo capacity so if it is a tanker I guess that is okay. Being based on an An-12 cargo-plane it probably should have though.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Yes, the Y8-T is a tanker, not intended to have cargo capacity.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Renamed to Y8-U Yunshuji-8 Tanker for next update based on wiki page.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

You already got a Y-8U IFR tanker. It is called Yun-8U Yunshiju-8U (ID 14271).

Also while we are on the Y-8 I assume the Yun-8-400 AWACS (ID 13255) represents the T0518 rotodome prototype (date fits with first reveal) as it was based on the Y-8F-400.
The KJ-200 (or Y-8W) also fits with the date of first test flight but it is based on the Y-8F-600.

The KJ-200 would be more appropriate for the PRC as it is in active service with the PLAAF. T0518 does have validity though as Pakistan ultimately bought an updated version as the ZDK-3 (also based on the Y-8F-600).

Then there is the Yun-8 ELINT (ID 13904). Not really sure there where a 1981 ELINT version of the Y-8 given that the basic transport version entered serial production in 1981. Earliest such aircraft I can think off was first spotted in 2004.

Return to “Issues and Support”