AAR #2 Italy

Share your stories of conquests and leadership successes.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

AAR #2 Italy

Post by Ruges »

Giving the campaign another go as Italy (playing on my laptop while I watch the Seahawks so don't have access to my save). However this time I am a bit wiser to what is needed on the map.

default settings again, with the exception of extended range is off.

This go around I am going for an early alliance with Germany and Japan. and by week 2 I have an alliance with both countries. I have given Germany all my PT boat and fighter planes. I have sent down battlegroup of cv-35 tanks, M14 arty 8 supply planes, 3 bombers and 4 fighter bombers.

My army in Italy will form on the French border along with support troops moving up to Worm Germany. I have created transit treaties with Egypt, Saudia Arabia, and Austria.

May 17, 36
Italy captures Ethiopia's capital. 44 units killed, 3 units (transport planes) lost.

Last half of 36.
Been focusing on getting a few industrial goods factories going. They can only be built 1 at a time due to the high needs of industrial goods to build them. however 6 eventually got built. 5 coal power plants where quickly built after that. and the focus now is to build on oil deposits.

Started out with building more oil rigs. however due to the cost involved with them I had to switch back to building other factories. Built a 3 power plants and 4 industrial goods, and 2 commercial goods. Unemployment has dropped to 2.6 percent. I have also been building new units. namely special forces, artillery, bombers, supply planes/trucks.

Feb 1938
I have moved a defensive force into Germany to watch its western front.
Italy1.jpg
A,B,C each have a stack of special forces, a stack of artillery and a stack of supply trucks. B also has a stack of AA. D/E have a stack of special forces. there is also a bomber wing to support these troops in these troops.

group F consist of 3 armored battlegroups and 1 AA battlegroup. Group G consists of 3 infantry battlegroups and 2 armored Battlegroups. Group H consists of 3 flotillas.

Group F and G will move into southern France and are supported by 2 bomber wings and 1 air logistics wing. Group H will keep Frances southern ports clear and lend support to group G when avail.

3 flotillas and 1 wolfpack have moved to defend the strait of Gibraltar, 3 wolfpacks have moved to the north sea to help Germany, 2 flotillas and a wolf pack have been moved to defend the Suez canal. With other worf packs watching various ports. along with recon planes patrolling the Mediterranean.

June 3rd 39.
WAR
Italy has declared war on Albania. Apparently we need to bring Albania under our arms. Since Europeans armies are already in position for war with France. African troops are brought up, with air support from Italia's mainland. One flotilla and two wolf packs will also assist in the assault.

June 4th 39
Albania falls, Albania looses 25 units, Italy looses none

September 3rd 39
UK and France declare war on Germany after Germany declares war on Poland. Italy invokes its mutual defense and declares war on France and the UK.

OCT 3rd 39
Its been one month into the war. Groups A-E have held there positions, With the only losses being some bombers and a couple rear arty that got bombed (I almost think it was Germany bombing my units to destroy a bridge so French forces could not press across, that or France has some long range arty that can hit out over 6 hexes, or maybe some high stealth unit I could not spot). Group F failed, and lost over a dozen tank units in the process. they have fallen back to the mountain passes and setup a defensive position. Group G has pressed into southern France. They have also taken medium losses, but it was to be expected.
Oct93.jpg
Japan has conquered China, but they are still at war with the dead region? USSR has joined the war against Poland, will they join the axis? they are still neutral to our sphere.

Early in the war I was having supply issues. Infact I had completely run out of military goods for a couple days and had still have occasional lack of supply. Coupled with running out of coal I was in a dire situation. I almost thought I was not going to be able to continue the war. However after 3 or so days I was finally able to make some trades for the resources I needed and everything came back in line. However at this point I was hemorrhaging money. It was then decided that I would lower spending on social services, I also lowered military spending by half at the same time. This brought me a small surplus, but that was only temporary as my lowered services caught up and lowered my income threw taxes and production. I then halted one of the oil rigs I was constructing which brought me back into the positive since I am now able to export industrial goods.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hullu Hevonen
General

Re: AAR #2 Italy

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Japan has conquered China, but they are still at war with the dead region?
They have some unfinished country ressurection feauture, this is part of that.
USSR has joined the war against Poland, will they join the axis?
Well in history they actually invaded Poland togheter with Hitler, but in the end became his sworne enemy

Oh yeah awsome AAR btw :-)
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

OCT 10 39
Germany landed a troop at Martigues France. This means if I advance my troops from the south I will be capturing land for Germany, when I am the one who wants this land. I decide to press forward. However once I get to Avignon I spot 20+ French arty coming down towards me. my frontline troops take a few losses and are forced to fall back. I then position my battleships in a way that as soon as France sends its arty down my ships destroy them.

NOV 13 39
Poland falls to Germany/USSR. Germany and Italian forces press towards the magnet line.

Nov 30, 39
USSR enters the winter war with Finland. Germany sends token forces into France. Northern army has gone past the magonet line. with infantry on the front supported by artillery, and bombers going to counter enemy arty. However the bomber wings have taken losses from enemy fighters. It is unclear what action should be taken to combat these enemy fighters. Ground AA does not have the range. and all the frontline airbases are too full to support more aircraft. Southern Army has taken out all of Frances Mediterranean seaports, and has been halted until arty can be brought to what will be a stretched frontline.
Nov39.jpg

It appears Frances war machine has ground to a halt as I no longer see them making any attacks. UK has won the war of the sea with Germany's navy being sunk. I will need to wait till we secure France before I am able to move wolfpacks into the channel.

My economy is going along well. My greatest savoir was I finished research on my powergrid which increased my energy output by 262 percent. I am able to export about $9M in energy alone. I would like to finish that oil derrik I was working on, but industrial supplies are now being routed to repairs on buildings captured from France. Its interesting that none of Frances or UK's colonies are at war with me or Germany, Guess we don't gota worry about the African campaign.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Good stuff. I recommend researching Improved Power Grid from the start. It is the only thing that can ensure your economy actually works :)
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

Dec 29, 39
USSR wins the winter war and Finland falls.
France offers Peace, Italy rejects.
Italy has secured Frances Mediterranean coastline

Mar 1, 40
Italian and German forces close in on Paris. and all of southern France is now occupied by Italy.
Paris.jpg
Mar 5, 40
Italy annexes France. Italy also claims all of Frances colonies for itself.
France Falls.jpg
April 1, 40
With much of the French industry in need of repair, all new construction in Italy has been halted. There are now major shortages in Com, Ind, and Mil goods. With the Military good shortages, Italy will not be able to press into the United Kingdom. because of this an Atlantic seawall is being built. For the short term infantry units have been moved to all seaports. supported by artillery and supply trucks. More bombers have been ordered for a sky war over the UK. battleships and destroyers are being moved into the channel to support an air campaign. It is still to be decided if we can get fighter support for air dom over the UK. However with the lack of avail airfield (and the lack of industrial goods to build more), fighter support may not be avail.

June, 9, 40
It appears Italy now has Air Sup over the British isles. and full command of the channel. Discussions are being made about an amphibious assault into the UK. however I only have 3 transports available, and all 8 shipyards are busy for the next year building battleships.

Germany has also started the blitzkrieg threw the Netherlands and Belgium, however they are doing it without the blitz.

June 19, 40

Operation U-day. An amphibious assault into the United Kingdom has begun. because all our transport planes are to small to carry any of our airborne troops, all landings must be made by sea. And since we only have 3 transport ships, they will have to come in waves. However since we have full air sup, the UK has no conventional forces left in the region and our only opposition will be garrisons.

Battlegoup 1 will advance and take Plymouth port. Once the port is secure additional battlegroups will land and march towards London.
U-Day.jpg
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

June 21, 40
U-day+2 We have run out of oil. and there is none to purchase on the global market. Our power plants and thus factories have shut down. we lack military goods to send to the frontline.

June 25, 40
We have secured Plymouth and a second battlegroup has arrived. Supply shortages are hampering our efforts to advance as quickly as we would like. Bombers have been ordered to stand down because of the lake of supplies.

July 30, 40
3 battlegroups are nearing London. but it takes several days to capture a single city and they must hold after capture for another couple days as there are no mil goods and oil to send to them.

Aug 4th, 40
Italy takes London.

Aug 5, 40
UK falls to Italy.
UK Falls.jpg
Dec, 40
Japan declares war on my colony of Indochina. I make the decision to liberate Indochina and let Japan have it.

April 25, 41
Italy declares are on Yugoslavia.
With captured structures not repairing it has been decided that Italy will do as little damage as possible to cities. and instead of the standard broad-frontline attack. A single line of troops will advance to the Yugo capital city.
RoadtooBeo.jpg
April 26, 41
apparently the LoN does not like my actions.
LON.jpg
MK4
Colonel
Human: Yes

Post by MK4 »

Germany has also started the blitzkrieg threw the Netherlands and Belgium, however they are doing it without the blitz.
lol
I hope that in the final, polished game version Germany - played by the AI - will be the threat that the player expects it to be, without having to be reinforced by Italy.

Thanks for making the AAR! It`s fun to read and when I`ll finally get the game I`ll know better how to play it. Hopefully, it will also attract interest from people unfamiliar with the game and thus benefit development.
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

I've noticed how the AI just doesn't seem to build a lot of ground units, esp. the UK. Playing as USA, the German AI took them out with the old transport port attacks. Was interesting having to be the only Democracy left at that point!
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

May 10,41
Yugoslavia falls to Italy, Germany, and Hungary.

New objective of taking out Greece. Since Athens is a coastal city there is a fight between the Army and Navy on who gets to assault the City. The Navy has stated that they can do it quicker, With less resources and with minimal damage to the Greece infrastructure. As such we have given the navy authority to do the amphibious assault on Athens.

June 16, 41
Italy declares war on Greece.

June 19,41
Italy annexes Greece. The Navy has shown that it can make successful amphibious assaults on enemy capitals. 2 divisions of special forces made a landing at Glifhada, and where supported by 7 battleships and 3 bomber wings. 1 wing of supply planes where also on standby incase the troops needed supply, however the transport ships where able to provide the needed supply.

Fall, 41
During this period of time work has been going on repairing our recently captured territory. We have also had to deal with many attacks from partisans.

December 11, 41
Cuba has declared war on Italy. A taskforce that had been assembled for another task will be sent to the AO. 3 Battleship flotillas, 2 wolfpacks. 3 Infantry, arty, and supply truck divisions.

May 18, 42
After the 3 month voyage across the Atlantic. Fleet 1 has arrived off the Cuban capital and landed a single infantry division.
Cuba.jpg
Cuba is annexed hours later.

May 22, 42
Mexico declare war on the Axis of greatness. Fleet 1 is ordered to mount up, and refuel to head for the coast of Mexico.

June 13, 42
Fleet 1's landing into Mexico is successful. Half a dozen Mexican units rushed to repel the attacks, however artillery and fire from battleships quickly destroyed units before they even got inrange of the infantry.
Mexico.jpg
June 17/18, 42
Italian forces capture the Mexican capital in the neddle attack formation. Mexico surrenders on the 18th. Which is just in time as our stockpile of military goods had run out.

July 42
Partisans in Mexico have been acting with over a dozen attacks this month. Engineer divisions will be ordered up to deal with partisan activies

Aug 25, 42
Brazil declares war on the AoG. Fleet one has been ordered to head to the Brazilian capital.

Oct 27, 42
Fleet1 ran out of fuel while heading around Brazil. However a single troop transport was able to make it to the Brazilian capital and land. Upon landing Brazil surrendered. Rather then annex the country it was decided to create a colony instead.
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

Feb 5, 43
Fleet1 has arrived off the east coast of the USA. War is declared on the US. Fleet1 objective is to take Washington DC. They will navigate up the Potomac river. With a wolfpack leading the way, followed by a battleship flotilla, then supply ships, then by a 2nd battleship/destroyer flotilla, then the amphibious assault ships, then another battleships flotilla, and finally a wolfpack watching the rear.
PotomacR.jpg
Feb 9, 43
An entire battleship flotilla was sunk while passing threw Alexandria, VA. Becouse of the heavier then expected resistance around DC. Ground troops have been ordered to offload sooner. The rear worlfpack was also destroyed while retreating for supplies.
DC.jpg
Feb 14, 43
Italian ground forces take Alexandria. Heavy losses on both sides.

Feb 18, 43
Victory. In what has probably been some of the hardest fighting I have ever done in any of the SR games. With the capture of Washington DC, the US surrenders. Italy Annexes them. almost 50 units from fleet 1 where destroyed in the landing.
USFalls2.jpg
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

I think that's it for this play threw my economy has collapsed. Civ demand for oil is higher then I can produce/buy (not enough oil in the world). It would take me 10 years to build enough facilities to meet my civs oil demands.

And since civ demand is taken out before production demand I am no longer producing, consumer/industrial/mil goods. And there are not enough of those avail on the world market either. So now my civs don't have any goods. which means they are becoming unhappy, because they get no consumer goods and they lack oil. Which lowers there production, and taxes I collect.

Now my economy has spiraled out of control into debt. I could always liberate Mexico and the US and that might solve some of my problems. But right now production values are botched in the beta.
davidclaywood
Lieutenant

Re: AAR #2 Italy: Resource Development.

Post by davidclaywood »

I wholeheartedly agree.with your findings re Economy. It is severly restricting, I select 'Very Easy' setting for economy and 'Plentful' for Resources and cannot get around the confusing economic issues.

Thank You for thr AAR.
lanceabunch
Corporal

Post by lanceabunch »

I really enjoyed reading your AAR! I haven't got into too many wars so far, and I was worried the AI is woefully inept..

So I'm fairly new to the game, but I encountered a lot of economic problems trying to ramp up my synthetic rubber industry as Germany. This seemed to be mostly fixed when I ramped up synthetic oil production. Have any of you all tried synthetic oil with a country that has an excess of coal? I know this wouldn't help Italy in particular, but maybe after all the countries you annexed..?

Just a thought, I have no idea how the economic conditions work after a country is annexed. Is there partisan activity that hampers production, or do you only obtain a portion of their industry intact?
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

Synthetic Oil is valid if you need oil and cant get any off the world market and all your gas fields are already consumed and you don't want to conquer an oil rich nations.

Synthetic Rubber, don't worry about it. Just import the stuff. there is enough of a global production to meet local demands. and you can import it cheaper then you can produce it (for the most part).

When you annex another nation you pretty much get everything. However there is a production penalty in hexes that are not loyal to you.
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

If I play Germany, I DoW Egypt early on. Make allies with Italy so you can move troops into Libya. All that Oil and the canal make it worth the effort.

Ahistorical, but works.

Return to “After Action Reports”