Tech Tree Mapping

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Tech Tree Mapping

Post by Balthagor »

So this has been an ongoing project since SR2020 development and for the first time in a long time it's presentable enough to share;

Tech Tree Mapping in Visio format

You should be able to view the file with Internet Explorer (download it first if not your default browser).

In some cases both the tech level and the tech ID are shown but not in all. Elements in faded grey are currently inactive but might come back.

I've posted it on the wiki as well, started the Tech Tree page for SR:U
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
mattpilot
Lt. Colonel

Re: Tech Tree Mapping

Post by mattpilot »

wow - that must be the most beautiful thing related to this game i've ever seen.

thanks and 2 thumbs up for delivering on content that helps to understand the game

I guess in a year or so we can expect unit designs appended? :D :D
gavco98uk
Warrant Officer

Post by gavco98uk »

I've always felt the tech tree in SR is overly complicated, and seeing it all graphed out re-affirms this.

You seem to need to research a lot of technologies before you get any kind of meaningful benefit from them. Could these not be grouped into fewer technologies, that each in turn take longer to research?

With most technologies taking around 100 days to research, you seem to be forever managing the tech research queue to get what you want.

Just a thought that I'd like to throw out there to see what others think...
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

gavco98uk wrote:I've always felt the tech tree in SR is overly complicated,...
Its one of the things I love about the game. And its only since 1936 has the tech tree really started to evolve. In the 2010 tech tree it was more traditionalist. where you had lines that you went down. You pretty much researched everything as it came up. In 2020 it started out the same. But as the game expanded they started changing some dead techs into negative techs. (although positive if you wanted to create tension around the world). Then they started added positive techs after these ones. Making you choose if you wanted to go down that line or not. In CW this started to become more apparent. and finally in 1936. there were many breakaway techs, that you could bypass if you did not want. And the funny thing is I don't think it was intentional. Personally I think the tree needs to get larger, much larger.
gavco98uk wrote:You seem to need to research a lot of technologies before you get any kind of meaningful benefit from them. Could these not be grouped into fewer technologies, that each in turn take longer to research?..
Depends on what you mean is meaningful. Depends on what you mean is meaningful. Very few technologies have no bonuses, and no unlocks. Sure some are just a rep boost, or a cost or efficiency on a resource, or a unit unlock you wont ever use, But they are benefits. One thing you need to remember with SR, is its not like other games where you are going to research everything because you can. Some techs you can skip. It is also not a game where you race to the end. Some of the end techs are techs most players will never see. However it is nice that they included them so players who do make it that far into the game still have stuff to look forward to. I have played allot of RTS games where you race to the end of the tech tree and then start your combat side of the game. SR is not one of those games. Grouping more technologies together limits the ability of the player to choose what is important and not important to him.
gavco98uk wrote:With most technologies taking around 100 days to research, you seem to be forever managing the tech research queue to get what you want....

That's what the game is about. Managing stuff. One of the best things about the game is it can all be automated.
Rhaycen
Major

Post by Rhaycen »

I agree that the tech tree shouldn't be made smaller, but it would be nice if there would be ways for less evolved nations to get some kind of bonus to tech if other x-number of nations have already figured something out.

I mean, sometimes it feels like you're trying to re-invent the lightbulb with some nations, and while I understand that in some cases you're not just inventing but also installing something. There remain the problem that at some point I find myself using jet-fighters to shoot down WW1 style bi-planes because the difference in tech between myself and certain AI nations is just so big.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Personally (not a studio official comment) I agree with most of what Ruges and Rhaycen said.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
MrRipper

Post by MrRipper »

Depends what you call positive. There are alot of techs added but they all increase production and lower demand/requirements worsening the economy.

They should be carefull with that. I dont think people realise what this effect is on economy. Production demand is completely out of balance in modern scenario's.

I will open a discussion on some SR2020 techs not in Ultimate! Most have positive effects on social policies or give region more choices too lower Timber/Petrol use. Some have even higher benefits in SR2020, but never a higher benefit in Ultimate!
Ater
Colonel

Post by Ater »

Maybe a 25% faster researched bonus for technology that has been researched by another nation and a 40-50% bonus if it has been researched by an ally?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein
Aelhis
Sergeant

Post by Aelhis »

I really love the tech tree and I really liked techs like Power Grid. I mean it makes lots of sense to me at least as I think of them more as a New ways to not just produce energy but also conserve. 2,3years looks lots of time but on the conservation part it makes perfect sense as the society must be aware and evolve to be more energy efficient as the resources get scarcer, at least in real life and that mimics perfectly.

Also the fact that you can trade techs makes it much more rewarding for you to focus on areas and make alliances. I mean if you are a heavy industry nation and need some fast military techs why not buy from your big bully ally lol!

If there was one thing I wanted to see improvement was on the A.I Part on research. I know it's hard to program and A.I to be smart into what you research but, Like maybe regional differences on choices. I mean like Belgium and Netherlands pretty much on every 1936 start I did never ever research any of their Unit Designs (And they got pretty good ones). Don't know

And also one cool option would be some Tech Agreement, Like other games had and pretty sure countries did on real life. Maybe a tech boost fors some projects or overall... Or a personal flavour I like is, as playing (Especially Russia or pact member on Col War Scenarios as they are all so poor) give away free techs to my allies, or trade with the rich, so they get fast to the same Research point as I am and can help me Research Other techs I'm not focusing. Maybe if the A.I also did that would be lots of fun (can be optional option dunno).
Ricent1
Captain

Post by Ricent1 »

Anti-matter and dark matter warheads! Man, I gotta get to those techs and see how they operate! Can't imagine the kind of craters those bad boys create!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

BTW, this was current for version 9.0.26. There have been some changes since then. I'll update this document at some point.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

What is the trick to "viewing" it with Internet Explorer?
SentosKarum
Warrant Officer

Post by SentosKarum »

Ricent1 wrote:Anti-matter and dark matter warheads! Man, I gotta get to those techs and see how they operate! Can't imagine the kind of craters those bad boys create!
For (1936*) Germany ? Those techs are useless - no designs of an kind are unlocked. (Same for fusion).

Well maybe if the enemy blows up a Dark Matter Powerplant ?

*Which I started as, dunno if this makes a difference.
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Rhaycen wrote:I agree that the tech tree shouldn't be made smaller, but it would be nice if there would be ways for less evolved nations to get some kind of bonus to tech if other x-number of nations have already figured something out.

I mean, sometimes it feels like you're trying to re-invent the lightbulb with some nations, and while I understand that in some cases you're not just inventing but also installing something. There remain the problem that at some point I find myself using jet-fighters to shoot down WW1 style bi-planes because the difference in tech between myself and certain AI nations is just so big.
This. The spread of technology has always worked like this. Basically, someone discovers something, then it spreads. In the modern era, one nation invests in R&D, makes a discovery, then over time (or via theft by spy!) will gain the same discovery with substantially less effort.

Example: Building light aircraft. Any country can do it now, but in 1915, only a handful could.
Ricent1
Captain

Post by Ricent1 »

SentosKarum wrote:
Ricent1 wrote:Anti-matter and dark matter warheads! Man, I gotta get to those techs and see how they operate! Can't imagine the kind of craters those bad boys create!
For (1936*) Germany ? Those techs are useless - no designs of an kind are unlocked. (Same for fusion).

Well maybe if the enemy blows up a Dark Matter Powerplant ?

*Which I started as, dunno if this makes a difference.
I was considering a SR2020 as Kosovo again. I would be closer to it than 1936. So, no units available once that tech is discovered? Really?

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”