Beginner tutorial - help needed

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

andyinkuwait
Sergeant

Beginner tutorial - help needed

Post by andyinkuwait »

Having never played this before, I was looking forward to the tutorial.

Instruction 1) Press the highlighted ACCEPT button

No ACCEPT button to be seen anywhere on screen. Quit with a shrug.

I'm thinking that if you are trying to attract new players that this is probably not the way to go

Can anyone help?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: Beginner tutorial - help needed

Post by Balthagor »

When I start tutorial 1 I get this;
tutorial.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
andyinkuwait
Sergeant

Post by andyinkuwait »

Firstly, I get Ottoman Empire Tutorial as the first tutorial and this is what I get. If I scroll the tutorial there is no accept button
Screen.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Thanks for the clarification, I used SRU's first tutorial since that's the section we are in.

If you open the objectives bar(top centre) it will have the accept button and be highlighted. It seems the message giving the player background on the storyline is taking priority over the popup. I'll see if I can adjust settings to resolve the conflict. Thanks for the feedback.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
andyinkuwait
Sergeant

Post by andyinkuwait »

It is also not possible to complete the tutorial. The tutorial asks you to build an ore mine on July 28th. The system builds an industrial complex first and then the ore mine. It is not possible that both of these are completed by 24th September. Mine completed on 26th September and I am careful. Hence, the tutorial is an auto fail.

As this is the first tutorial new players come across, it might be a good idea to make sure they can actually complete it. Can you adjust the completion time?

PS I even tried starting the ore mine build at the beginning of the tutorial but it does not pick this up. You have to wait for the prompt on July 28th.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Odd, I'd swear I'd tested that. I'll take another look, thanks.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I just looked at the event set for the tutorial and I still agree with the design. The event is sent on day 30 and gives the player 90 days to complete. Building an ore facility takes only 60 days. There are map positions with existing industrial complexes that can be used to start construction immediately so that it finishes on time.

The goal of the tutorial is to encourage players to learn about the features. I'm okay with users failing an objective or two on their first pass. I will add the following note to the objective;
Ore mines need to be built in industrial complexes.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
andyinkuwait
Sergeant

Post by andyinkuwait »

Right, speaking as a beginner, I didn't know ore mines should be built next to industrial complexes. Hence, good idea to add this critical bit of information.
andyinkuwait
Sergeant

Post by andyinkuwait »

Tried this again and placed the ore mine in an already existing industrial complex (with another, already built ore mine).

My ore mine took well over the normal time to build and failed the tutorial AGAIN.

The task fires on July 28th and the ore mine takes 60 days to build. The time allowed is NOT 90 days. The deadline is September 24th which is less than 60 days. Perhaps you should change the deadline to OCTOBER 24th.

I might also add the graphic is implying the mine should take 90 days to build. See the screenshot taken on August 28th which is more than 30 days into the build the graphic is not near half way. It is behaving as a 90 day build and your deadline is less than 60 days to do it in.
screeny2.jpg
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

The Sept 24th data was incorrect already based on the scripted event, it should have said Oct 26th. I reviewed it and found a flaw in the event itself as well. Fixes to this event might not make it for the next update, files for that are already being tested. Changes have been made that will get into a future update.

Thanks for the feedback on this!
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
andyinkuwait
Sergeant

Post by andyinkuwait »

OK, given up on completing The Ottoman Empire tutorial. Now onto Tutorial 1 China and Japan.

Trade for technology from USA for Lightweight Aircraft Piston Engines. No such technology on offer by USA. Tutorial fail AGAIN.

I cannot emphasise how important these introductory tutorials are for new players.

When they are impossible to complete, new players will feel ripped off.

I really think these should be a priority. Perhaps one of your playtesters could actually play these tutorials and then they would see how rapidly frustrated they can become with the impossible to complete tasks that are set.

So far I am giving these tutorials about 1/10
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I have play tested every tutorial at least once, but content changes. Fixing one thing in an update can cause a break somewhere else. That tech name is likely an example. There are literally thousands of hours of things worth testing and we have a very small team. We do not have any playtesters on staff. I agree with you that it's important, but if you read over the forums a bit, you'll find there are lots of elements deemed important by the community. The best we can offer is to be open to feedback.

I'll give the next tutorial a look and see if I can figure out what happened to that tech item.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
andyinkuwait
Sergeant

Post by andyinkuwait »

I certainly agree that are many things that would be on the list for changes.

New players will see the tutorials first and hence this (at least to me) would be a priority to get right prior to release. If the tutorials don't work, for whatever reason, then what are the chances that the rest of the game is relatively bug free?

This would be a perfectly valid viewpoint of a new buyer. Right now, I think your play testers are actually the new customers.

I am not ignorant in the processes of bug hunting and patching but changing one thing and its ripple effect should be part of the coding documentation. These ripple effects should be no surprise to anyone and should be trackable with efficient documentation.

Good luck with this game. I'm not sure I can face the frustrations of playing, at the moment, but I will return in 6 months when hopefully these bugs should have been sorted out.
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

You tell em Andy, this isnt the first report about the tutorial imho. This isnt high priority this is critical and all updates should be on hold till this is fixed or removed. Keep story for campaign :lol: as far campaign can keep story alive :D
Gameplay 1st
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

andyinkuwait wrote: Mar 26 2018 Good luck with this game. I'm not sure I can face the frustrations of playing, at the moment, but I will return in 6 months when hopefully these bugs should have been sorted out.
just skip the tutorial its pretty easy to get the basics without it

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”