SRU Linux

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

SRU Linux

Post by Kristijonas »

Hello, will a Linux port happen any time in SRU development?
Roug
Warrant Officer

Re: SRU Linux

Post by Roug »

Its the only reason i dont use Linux. This game! I would also love a port. Wine/playonlinux works but i hate having 2 steams installed and its not supergood performance
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

The game runs wine bottled on MacOS so really if you install it through wine you are probably not far off in performance from an official version.

The problem with Linux is probably not so much porting it as it is supporting it. The problem is that Linux is unfortunately a minority. Currently Steam hardware and software survey list it at 0.33% total. Adding possibly 1/3 in support for an increase like this might not end up being cost effective. The worst part is that if Steam survey is right the Linux share is dropping. I remember it being over 1.25% at one point. MacOS for the record is the same story. Both appear to be down quite a bit compared to a few years ago.
It really looks like the "Valve is going to make Linux the no.1 gaming system" hype is dying a slow death but considering the great minds that thought up SteamOS is probably the same people that thought SteamBox was a great idea I am not really surprised.

Then there is the very mess that is Steam. It is hard to get noticed there even at the best of times when you release a new title and show up in the new releases section.
This would be a significant investment that basically only the people that noticed the title a long time ago and keeping an eye on it but are holding out buying it until a linux version appears will act on meaning basically none.

As someone that will not make the switch to Windows 10 and are facing eventually not being able to play PC games I would love if Linux would get greater support but unfortunately I do not see it happening.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Adding possibly 1/3 in support
But you've said it yourself - it would probably be just a WINE wrapper, just like on MacOS, so it's probably a few hour work first time and a few minutes of work after each update to just wrap the Windows game into WINE and that's it. I know it can be done manually, but I would really love for this game to have "native" Linux support.

That being said, Steam's statistics are extremely flawed. Moreover, they depend on the game very much and I believe something like SRU could have at least 5% of Linux players among its owners if it was available.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

There is a difference between you doing it and BG selling it.

If I buy a product being advertised as working on Linux I expect it to work on Linux and do so acceptably.

BG has to ensure that. That means you need to create some form of test environment and spend time testing it.
Chances are there is a difference between the MacOS and Linux version of WINE meaning if it works on MacOS is no guarantee at all that it will on Linux.

I remember all the problems BG had some time ago with the Mac version not working well so really there is going to be significant work involved winewrapper or not.

Further the MacOS version is actually a separate compile compared to the windows version and chances are the Linux version would be the same.

No BG cannot just spend a few minutes wrapping it up in wine after each update and happily assume it works just fine.

Yes the Steam surveys might be flawed but assuming nothing have changed in the way they are carried out you still got the problem that it shows the Linux population is dwindling. It has basically been showing a gradual decline for quite some time now.

We can guess about how many Linux users there are. We can also make guesses about how many of them already are dual-booting like me and thus are not actual potential customers.
Chances are that group is significantly larger than the ones that know about the game but a holding out buying it waiting for a linux version which is really the group that will finance this port not you and me as we have already bought the game.

Naturally new people might discover the game but that is putting your faith in the Steam discovery algorithm which is not exactly good.

Again I would love for there to be a proper Linux version but I doubt mr. Latour will see there being economic justification in doing so.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Nerei wrote: Apr 23 2018 Naturally new people might discover the game but that is putting your faith in the Steam discovery algorithm which is not exactly good.
Don't forget me, who would happily spread the news on IRC And Discord Linux gamer rooms :wink: Was waiting to do that for a long time actually. Just kidding though, I'd probably only attract a player or two.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Yes I can probably not drag in many people either and as mentioned I doubt Steam discovery will find many either.

I remember reading that Blossom Tales (decent game if you like classic Zelda style games) on Switch outsold the Steam version by 2000% despite the steam version being out far longer and there being more users on Steam. Seriously when Steam is at its peak there are more users online than the number of Switches Nintendo has sold.

It is examples like Blossom tales that makes me fear that no matter how well BG does a Linux port it will just end up costing them money as very few new Linux users will actually find it.

It might be easier if they launch a new SR title at some point as there will at least be new release attention then which might help drag in new people and if nothing else will be some revenue stream to help do it.

I really think the problem for games on Linux is that Valve promised us the world a few years ago which saw a surge in Linux users at least using Steam but so far has delivered absolutely nothing except a crappy Debian distribution and substandard hardware with most of the disadvantages of consoles and little of the advantages.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Kristijonas wrote: Apr 23 2018 Hello, will a Linux port happen any time in SRU development?
There are no plans for this.
Nerei wrote: Apr 23 2018 If I buy a product being advertised as working on Linux I expect it to work on Linux and do so acceptably.
A good summary.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”