Strategic nuke test

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Leafgreen
Colonel

Strategic nuke test

Post by Leafgreen »

SRU, global crisis, January 2020. Russia vs US, around 20 tests using a few hundred nukes of all types.

Yes, the AI will target anything. Military Complexs are a higher priority usually, but industrial complex and cities will be targetted as well. Saw a village with nothing built at it nuked in an opening salvo, so it can be pretty random. A choice of what to target would make it much more surgical and destructive.

Missle Silos will launch 2 missiles each.

I gave the US 300 ss-18 silo icbms then launched at them, they only shot 40ish at me which would account for their non-silo missiles. Personally I have never seen the AI build a silo either.

AI will return fire with every missile it can find a launcher for, so unless the game has been running a lot of years they won't have anything left. If I launched another salvo they only returned fire if they had both missiles left over and a launch vehicle that had returned to reserve.

The choices for 25%, 50%, etc do not work. Every launch is the max it can launch based on missiles and launchers you add to the pool.

Yes, some targets will have multiple missiles targeting them during the same salvo. This may be to ensure the target gets killed, I did not see this happen until I was launching 80 or more at a time. The AI also might take warhead power into account, not sure.
"That's O'neill, with two l's"
(Holds up 3 fingers)
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: Strategic nuke test

Post by Balthagor »

Noted.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Post by evildari »

in my experience the strategic attack targets only hexes which have military buildings inside it (a village with a barracks is a valid target for nukes)
and multiple strikes per hex i think its caused by lack of other valid targets and not to have a 100% (as in the setting) destroyed hex

another experience although i am not sure if that's really the case - buildings with entrench and / or close defense bonus also helps vs nuclear strikes

maybe BG could add a new HOTSPOT action type "Strategic Target" (aka Nuke them) that is used / or can be selected as option instead of that standard strategic targeting selection in the strategic attack screen.

and am i really the only one complaining about the unneeded and annoying white flash while glassing the world ?
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)
bowtie
Lieutenant

Post by bowtie »

i dont mind the white flash. it's a somber reminder that you are killing every living thing on the planet.
dax1
Brigadier Gen.

Post by dax1 »

evildari wrote: Jun 28 2018
maybe BG could add a new HOTSPOT action type "Strategic Target" (aka Nuke them) that is used / or can be selected as option instead of that standard strategic targeting selection in the strategic attack screen.
I like this !!!
Con forza ed ardimento
Leafgreen
Colonel

Post by Leafgreen »

Had 1 more test to do.

Started a game in 2020 World as France, declared war on UK. German government was then Diplomatically concerned, people were Satisfied, war justification 40% towards me.

Ready a boomer, load 'er up, fire 10 nuclear missiles at UK. Wait for the day to change. German feelings toward me were exactly the same. UK does have nuclear SLBM, but no subs that can carry them.... so I don't know if they would have returned fire with nukes. Very doubtful.

This may be a blessing in disguise. I am assuming that the game does not check to see if 'fire missile' is firing a conventional or nuclear missile. If am hoping that you just tell the game that 'when you do popup #22234 (high yield nuclear attack) or do popup #883783 (low yield nuclear attack) check launching country and do preplanned strategic nuclear attack effect'. If it's that easy.

BUT BUT BUT! This makes much more sense, as you don't know if a cruise missile has a nuclear tip on it or not - until it lands. First Strikes are suddenly an option!
Last edited by Leafgreen on Jun 29 2018, edited 1 time in total.
(Holds up 3 fingers)
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

evildari wrote: Jun 28 2018 and am i really the only one complaining about the unneeded and annoying white flash while glassing the world ?
No, very unhealthy.
Gameplay 1st
Leafgreen
Colonel

Post by Leafgreen »

Another test, I had a sneaky suspicion....

Same as last test, France vs uk in world2020 ultimate. Verified that Critical International Opinion is on and Nuclear Penalties = high. Then I launched all 28 nukes at the UK using the strategic launch system, waited for day to end and looked at Germany's opinion of me. No changes. Did it again with Nuclear Penalties = Medium, still nothing. It IS possible that World Market opinion drops, they are outraged and I have 0.0% subsidy before launching though.

So currently I find no change in relations with other countries from using hand or strategic launches.
(Holds up 3 fingers)
d-bassett
BattleGoat Team

Post by d-bassett »

Could you send us a save game before/after so we can test this?
Leafgreen
Colonel

Post by Leafgreen »

Just SRUltimate, up to date version, sandbox, 2020 World, France. Had it act the same In 2020 Crisis, 2020 Shattered World. Easily repeatable, just start a game as a nuclear power and start nuking.

Will have a variety of saves ready sometime between now and Monday 7/9.
(Holds up 3 fingers)
d-bassett
BattleGoat Team

Post by d-bassett »

I did some testing on the relationships when launching a nuclear attack. Starting as France in World 2020 here is the starting relationship between France and Germany.

After launching a nuclear attack on the UK here is the relationship.

I also included the diplomatic relations using the filter before/after for the rest of the world.

Before:

After:

It seems to be working as intended.
Leafgreen
Colonel

Post by Leafgreen »

No.

That is the diplomatic effect for declaring war without casus belli. Launch your nukes afterwards as a separate action, no diplomatic change for launching nukes. Just retested to verify.

Start of game.

Declare war on UK.

And now nukes.

Tried to test using Campaign - Trump Rising - US vs anyone, but only start with ICBMs and no silos to launch from.

Scenario - Global Crisis - Polish Missile Crisis

Start (Russia)

War vs US, highest casus belli.

Nukes.

Last edited by Leafgreen on Jul 06 2018, edited 3 times in total.
(Holds up 3 fingers)
d-bassett
BattleGoat Team

Post by d-bassett »

Thank you for pointing that out, I had completely missed that. We will look into it further.
Leafgreen
Colonel

Post by Leafgreen »

Just popped into my head, a quick side question.

If somebody is nuked and retaliates with nukes, do they get a penalty also?

Example: I don't like the US, France, Russia, Germany, whoever. I launch one nuclear weapon at them. They respond with every nuclear weapon they have, because the 25/50/75/100 system is broken and AI/player launches 100% of their strategic capable nukes. I get away with low penalty and they get a massive penalty?
(Holds up 3 fingers)

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”