my fighter planes do not shoot other planes

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

GIJoe597
Board Admin
Human: Yes

Re: my fighter planes do not shoot other planes

Post by GIJoe597 »

I have used planes extensively in the series, as you may be aware of from my postings and AAR's. I have never had a situation where an aircraft loaded with missiles, regardless of type, would not engage in air to air combat. This is my confusion. I fact, many of the interceptors in game do not even have a cargo capacity, yet still carry missiles.

I apologize, not trying to be obtuse, but what I see in game play is not correlating to what has been typed in this thread. The OP stated Interceptors. If this was FB's which generally have a cargo capacity it might make a tad bit of sense to me.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

How much ammo is displaced IIRC is based on the weight of the missiles. If the max missile capacity vs. per missile weight vs. total unit supply weight works out, full of missiles would not displace all ammo. But it can happen in some cases.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

For example, looking at an F-15 in the modern map, it's missile point capacity is about 220, it's ammo capacity is 108, combat time 12. If you load it with a full load of ground attack missiles, the ammo capacity drops to 61, the combat time to 7. So, still lots of A-A combat capability.

As Chris mentioned this is also a factor of the weight of the missiles, so combinations of planes and missiles may result in no A-A attack capability left. I actually think this is realistic, as such an extreme load-out simulates replacing A-A missiles such as Sparrow or AMRAAM with the ground attack attack missiles. But to repeat the point again, in most cases a full missile loadout will still leave a considerable native AA capability in the unit.

-- George
Uriens
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Uriens »

I personally turn off missile loading for all current of future units in the ROE and then allow it manually for specific units/groups. It's just AI that i'm worried about.
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

Last edited by YoMomma on Jun 30 2019, edited 1 time in total.
Gameplay 1st
Leafgreen
Colonel

Post by Leafgreen »

YoMomma wrote: Aug 04 2018^^
Ditto.
"That's O'neill, with two l's"
(Holds up 3 fingers)
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

Last edited by YoMomma on Jun 30 2019, edited 1 time in total.
Gameplay 1st
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Noticed the link embedded in the post quoted by valentind09?

My guess is valentind09 cares less about the mechanics of the game and more about SEO or search engine optimisation. That is assuming a bot can care about anything as I find it fairly likely that is what that account was made by.
Evil Overlord
Sergeant

Post by Evil Overlord »

George Geczy wrote: Aug 03 2018
GIJoe597 wrote: Aug 03 2018
Balthagor wrote: Jul 30 2018 His loaded missiles had displaced all the ammo. :)
I have been pondering this since it was typed. I am hoping this is a poor choice of words. It has always been the case that aircraft have a built in attack value to simulate its cannon. The missile was a separate thing. Even when loaded with missiles which are not air to air it would attack other aircraft. Mr Latour, do you mean, by your choice of the word "ammo", planes will no longer have any air to air attack value if they have air to ground or anti shipping missiles loaded?

I am hoping you used that word as a layman and do not understand the difference between ammo and missiles. If that is the case, I also hope planes still have an air attack value with any other types of missile loaded.
Well there are a few layers of complexity here, since in SR we simulate any missiles (including AA missiles) as "ammo" if they meet certain criteria (one of which is that they can't be intercepted, but that's not the only one). So loading up items we simulate as "missile units" (ie, Cruise missiles) will naturally displace the capacity to load other missiles.

While it is true this creates an oddity with cannon ammo, that is not generally an A-A attack strategy in modern aircraft. For WWI / WWII it is different, there cannon were the common AA attack, but the planes of that era didn't have missiles. So, there are some edge cases, but the way we simulate is in my opinion the best way to cover 95% of the use cases and it doesn't create an insanely complex system.

-- George.
Cannons are and remain the PRIMARY strategy for A-A attacks, Missiles only was tested in the 60's with disastrous results to the fighters without cannons, even today, the primary tactic in air to air combat is to fire missiles first then close to cannon range in order to assure target destruction.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

The fact I've never noticed this after 950 hours of SRU without even thinking about SR1936 SRCW and SR2020

that kinda says to me it isn't an issue!

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”