"Active Window Focus" Explained

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

George Geczy
General

"Active Window Focus" Explained

Post by George Geczy »

In 9.1.76 in the Graphic Options settings, there is a new option: Active Window Focus (Experimental)

The primary purpose of this is to assist with players that have trouble alt-tabbing back and forth to the game, something that has been reported more often recently with Windows 10 and certain video combinations. This primarily seems to be a Windows / Video driver bug, but this feature is presented as a workaround.

It also has some side-effects, some of which players may even find desirable:

- This will cause the game graphics to continue running when the game is a background window. Previously, the game would continue playing (time rolling), but the visuals would be frozen until you tabbed back into the game. With this setting on, you can run the game in the background, or on another monitor, and see the game running.

- The game will react to "mouse over" (such as scrolling and tootltips) even if the window is in the background. This may be a bit distracting if your mouse moves off the window area, as the map will scroll in whatever direction your mouse is located. This is something we could look at preventing in the future.

- The game will attempt to "capture" your mouse to the game window whenever you mouse over any visible area of the game window, forcing you to alt-tab again to get out of the "captured" area. This is a side-effect that can be a bit bothersome but is otherwise easy to work around.

If you have issues with alt tabbing back and forth to the game, we suggest you try turning on this option and see if it helps. It does not require a quit/restart to take effect (unlike most other graphic options).

-- George / BattleGoat.
Leafgreen
Colonel

Re: "Active Window Focus" Explained

Post by Leafgreen »

I must try this with my tablet, it freezes the game when a popup happens.

Thank you.
"That's O'neill, with two l's"
(Holds up 3 fingers)
Uriens
Brigadier Gen.

Re: "Active Window Focus" Explained

Post by Uriens »

I find it quite difficult to actually escape main window with my mouse. Seems that the feature locks the window a bit too aggressive. Finding it too difficult to move mouse to another monitor. Can we have a shortcut that allows us to lock/unlock mouse to a window/monitor? Some strategy games have it and it usually works like a charm.

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”