Oceanic Complex Defense?

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Leafgreen
Colonel

Oceanic Complex Defense?

Post by Leafgreen »

I don't like building oil derricks even though I really should, I don't like trying to defend them and you don't want your petroleum production to be vulnerable.

But.. you can build an Oceanic Complex anywhere in your territorial waters, even if there is no oil there. Can't build radar, air defense, gun emplacement, pier, etc or anything else but oil derricks there. So if you just build the complexes to protect a critical coastline wouldn't all incoming enemy merchant marines that have amphibious units on them automatically land on the complexes and get stuck there? Or if they try to avoid them by default you could funnel them into entering your waters where you want, at a kill zone.

Not planning on it, it just popped into my head. If they could detect subs you could even use them as a SOSUS line.

Or what about a Military Oceanic Complex? Could only build air defense, pier, gun emplacements, radar and a new SOSUS facility there. Maunsell Forts. Better yet, can create a new 'short deck carrier' aka helicopter landing pad facility that could be built on them with a capacity of 1-2.
"That's O'neill, with two l's"
(Holds up 3 fingers)
Nerei
General
Human: Yes

Re: Oceanic Complex Defense?

Post by Nerei »

I guess creating the Maunsell Forts could be done by creating an offshore building that takes traits from the trenches, AA guns and coastal guns.

A military oceanic complex could take the form of a harbour fortress or an artificial island.
With a bit of creative use of scale and offsets it might even be possible to create a 6 sided harbour fort and have elements like coastal defence turrets, radars and the like plop down onto the fortress itself.

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”