Poor FPS But Good Day Speed

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Beans
Sergeant
Human: Yes

Poor FPS But Good Day Speed

Post by Beans »

Ok, I recently solved an issue that would not allow me to play the game, because the screen kept freezing. Now, I get a horrible FPS- I am talking like 4 FPS. Before, when I was able to play, I was getting around 40 in the same area. When I put the screen over water and put the speed on fastest, the game goes really fast. I have fiddling with the graphics settings a lot, but could not find a solution. Any help would be appreciated... Thanks!

Specs:
i5
8 GB RAM
Intel HD 620
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Re: Poor FPS But Good Day Speed

Post by Balthagor »

Might be related to this discussion;

https://steamcommunity.com/app/314980/d ... 034830994/
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Beans
Sergeant

Post by Beans »

Yeah, I started that discussion
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Oh. Oops.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Leafgreen
Colonel

Post by Leafgreen »

On my old tablet I have found that the fastest speeds I get are either when fully zoomed in, or zoomed out one step beyond country names showing. And then being somewhere where nothing is at, like southern border between Australia and south America. For my work system that gives me about 5 seconds per tic. And limit any line of sight treaties, that slows it a lot if any of the units are in your view field.

Doesn't fix it, just help on how to maybe deal with it.
"That's O'neill, with two l's"
(Holds up 3 fingers)
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Post by evildari »

Beans wrote: Aug 31 2018 Intel HD 620
i would not wonder if even excel had poor FPS with this.
try to get a dedicated graphics card, even a gtx 760 would be better
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

If you got by passmark you can drop down to a GTX 640 and still do better. High end 400 series GTX cards might actually beat it too. It is comparable to the dedicated GPU in my old 2011 laptop.

Really I agree that getting a dedicated GPU is a good idea. It does not have to be high end but the HD620 is really too low performance for just about anything related to playing games.
Beans
Sergeant

Post by Beans »

I’m sorry but I have to disagree. I can run empire total war at 60 FPS. I could run this game well until now. Wargame red dragon runs really welll. This card suits my needs, there is just something wrong with supreme ruler ultimate at the moment.
Beans
Sergeant

Post by Beans »

New Update-
Even though this feature causes the screen to freeze for me, I turned back on Hardware vertex processing. I found that once I turned it on, I got 60 FPS. However, it still freezes. What could this be?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

If my memory is right software vertex processing (which should be what you are using if you are not running with hardware vertex processing) means you are basically using your CPU to do all your graphics calculations instead of the dedicated GPU. The CPU is quite slow at this so you generally do not want to do that ever if you do not have to.
As for what is causing the freezing I have no idea.

The games you mention they are not exactly demanding so they are really a poor measurement of what your GPU can and cannot do.
Empire Total War is from 2009. It is nearly as old as the original SR 2020. It is made to run on a decade old GPU.
Wargame: Red Dragon lists a Geforce 7 series as minimum requirements. That is a 2006 GPU. Hats of to Eugen Systems for making a game that can run on such old hardware but I think it is largely down to the lowest LOD being really low detail.

If you think the HD 620 is fine then that is totally acceptable. It is your choice and your money.
I would however highly recommend being careful buying new games as you are quite far below recommendations for most of those with flashy graphics.
Beans
Sergeant

Post by Beans »

Thank you for the response. Yes I understand the graphics card is not that great. However, it suits my needs. I just don’t know what is going on with the freezing. I am not having this issue with any other games. Earlier, the game ran well, but at one time, and I don’t remember when, it just stopped working. All my drivers are up to date as well. I have tried uninstalling and installing the game as well.
Beans
Sergeant

Post by Beans »

Also, those games are more demanding that Supreme Ruler Ultimate graphically wise. I believe I should be able to run the game with a better fps than 5, even with Intel HD 620.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Beans wrote: Sep 03 2018 ...I believe I should be able to run the game with a better fps than 5, even with Intel HD 620.
That's maybe something to bring up with Intel. We don't make Video cards. It works fine with pretty much everything else.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Beans
Sergeant

Post by Beans »

Yeah I understand that. However, I don’t know what to do because this is the only game it happens with. All the other games I play run perfectly fine. I could take it up with Intel but I fear they would tell me to take it up with you.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

That's fair. But I'm unsure what more we can do for you. No one has been able to reproduce the situation you've encountered. That makes it unlikely that anything we change in our code will have any impact on your performance. That is if we even had any idea what to change, which we don't without more data.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”