3D modelling

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

russ1000
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

Re: 3D modelling

Post by russ1000 »

The rotation point of the tower is the z-axis provided that it is written to the DEFAULT file.PICNUMS: № MODEL, 0, 1, 2, , -1, -1, -1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, -1, -1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 2, 2, 14, , 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, №MODEL, , , , , , 0.00092, Do not pay attention to the position Of the z-axis relative to the housing, even if the model is shifted laterally. It is necessary to correctly determine the center of rotation of the tower.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I have gotten my laptop back from repairs. At least warranty covered it as paying the equivalent of $500 or more for a replacement screen is not something I find too attractive.

As for turrets rotating the main thing to consider is that Z axis offset is not enough. The turret-well of vehicles such as the CV9040 is offset on the X axis also so that needs to be considered. I know several world war 2 Japanese vehicles had offset turrets like this and apparently so did some german. Chances are also there are quite a few with this feature that I have never heard about.

Honestly though I really am not too bothered by it. I just make vehicles that have these issues one object and it will not happen. Sure they will not turn at all which yes you can say is immersion breaking but really so is say SPAAG with fixed barrel elevation.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

More work done on the ZTZ-99A2
There is still some details missing especially on the turret and around the engine but I would say the majority of details are there.
Also there is still no shading so in-game many details will disappear with the way the texture currently is.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

YB-60 complete with fictive regional textures
Comes with German, Japanese and US regional textures so far at least. All sets are naturally fictive given the aircraft never entered service.

Yes the YB-60 is not an important aircraft historically and honestly for the US there are better alternatives such as the B-47. The main reason I have made it is to have an early to mid (and possibly later) cold war intercontinental strategic nuclear bomber aircraft that is not say a Tu-95 or B-47/52 to use for nations the in theory could have been building such aircraft assuming history had turned out differently.
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

You make nice looking stuff Nerei!
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

The first models I made are not really that good. It has been a learning experience making these and honestly looking at the first ones I do feel a bit like remaking some of them.
Before anyone says something no I do not plan on actually remaking them except the T-55 for practical reasons and the Type 10 Hitomaru mainly due to it being a vehicle I really like the visuals of.

Also I am considering reintroducing the unit requests though in a slightly different form. Making monthly releases is not really feasible right now but it could be by release. Not really sure how much practical difference that would make though without a set deadline.
Right now though my goal is mainly just to clean up old incomplete aircraft models.
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

Nerei wrote:The first models I made are not really that good. It has been a learning experience making these and honestly looking at the first ones I do feel a bit like remaking some of them.
Before anyone says something no I do not plan on actually remaking them except the T-55 for practical reasons and the Type 10 Hitomaru mainly due to it being a vehicle I really like the visuals of.

Also I am considering reintroducing the unit requests though in a slightly different form. Making monthly releases is not really feasible right now but it could be by release. Not really sure how much practical difference that would make though without a set deadline.
Right now though my goal is mainly just to clean up old incomplete aircraft models.
Do you work with Blender mainly?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

No I almost exclusively work with Maya and Photoshop.
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

Nerei wrote:No I almost exclusively work with Maya and Photoshop.
Ah sweet. I've got my student licensed version of Maya all fired up and have done a bit of YT tutorials for it. The UI seems better than for Blender and all the core functionality seems quite good. Figure I'll upgrade once I've got a commercial product.

So you pay for that hefty subscription every year just to make mod content!? :o
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

You can buy a standalone commercial license. At least you could at one point. I have not checked what options Autodesk currently offers. I have no need for the latest version so no need for a subscription. My old version is just fine.
My copy of photoshop also predates Adobes "photoshop as service" creative cloud idea.

For Maya there is also LT. From what I can tell you mainly lose some of the render options but it cost far less than the full version.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Tu-160 more or less complete.
This is also one of the models that have been left half-complete for maybe 6 months.
There might still be some tweaking left.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

You don`t use 3dsmax at all?

Great new units btw! The latest two tanks in particular look like presentation material which is remarkable for this game`s level.
Like what? :-)
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I have actually worked professionally with 3DS Max at one point. I do tend to prefer the Maya UI though but generally they are not that different compared to say Blender. For the record my greatest problem with programs like Blender and GIMP is the UI.

However being almost exclusively a mac and Linux user (3DS is windows only) I would basically have to emulate it through wine or run a virtual machine just to run it.
I have a windows partition on my desktop but except for a few games I really do not use it and generally it is not booted into it very often. My netbook also runs windows but running anything except videos and old games on it is not exactly fun.

With the usual caveat that not all might be finished and there are no current timetable for releases I have:
Mig-23
Su-24
Su-25
Xian JH-7
Chengdu J-7/Mig-21
North American XB-70
Myasishchev m-20 (like with the YB-60 this is intended not just as a supersonic USSR bomber but also as a generic high speed strategic bomber so it will have fictive regional textures)
Shaanxi Y-8/An-12 (and possible some derivative aircraft)
Shin Meiwa US-1A
Xian H-20 (based on CCTV illustrations)
Shenyang J-31.

There could in theory be more that I have missed.
Yes the PRC is a priority.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

You mean the Russians do all these publicity stunts and you don`t care?
http://www.janes.com/article/78119/russ ... from_rss=1
I was under the impression you had it on your list a while ago.

About the MiG-21. If you do get to make it could you please take into consideration a LanceR? In the sense that, if it`s not too late, maybe make the mapping to allow for such camo. Iirc we have the LanceR C in game as a separate unit.
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Romania- ... y0bV/tcDGA
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

As mentioned the PRC is somewhat of a priority which should also be visible from the list.
The Su-57 is sort of a model that would be good to get done at some point but there have not really been any work done on it so far.

By comparison the JH-7 are partly textured.
The Su-25, H-20 and Shin Meiwa are fully UV mapped, the J-31, J-7 and XB-70 are partly UV mapped.
The rest are somewhere between image planes having been configured to they are partly modelled.
Some guesswork is naturally going into the H-20 and M-20.

Looking around I actually found a F-35 that is partly UV mapped so I guess that can be added to the list. I also have a partly done A6M somewhere from what I remember.

There is no issue with making complex camouflage patterns for the J-7. It fully supports these. Just keep in mind that it is made as a J-7G which means it has a few differences compared to the Mig-21. The shape of the wings and canopy in particular is slightly different. I suspect most people will not notice it but they are there.
Not sure if it is worth it to make a specific Mig-21. I can also redo it to be a Mig-21 which would also fit with early J-7 models

Except for warships pretty much all models I make have just about full support for different types of camouflage patterns even if I actually do not plan on using it. I have no plans to make any camouflaged versions of the Tu-160 or YB-60 but the models does support it.
The SHKH Dana also fully support camouflage despite their not being anything but the default green version.

One of the main reasons I do not just make textures for the existing BG models is that they tend to not support camouflage patterns to the extend I want.
E.g. if I where to write USAF on the wings of at least some of the BG aircraft it would appear mirrored on the other wing. Similarly camouflage will be mirrored.

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”