3D modelling

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Nerei
General
Human: Yes

Re: 3D modelling

Post by Nerei »

It is several months since I really played a game so I do not really remember what units the PRC and Russia produces or how many. This really has become a modding game for me and I expect well over 95% of my time related to it is spend in Maya or Photoshop.

As for future models With the usual disclaimer that the list might change and all that my plans for next release is something like this:

T-55
TR-85M1
Boxer (ICV Variant)
Patria AMV (Rosomak variant)
Ajax
PLZ-05
Merkava IVm
ZTZ-99A2
Type 91
YB-60
Tu-22M3
Tu-160
Xian JH-7

Chances of something else making it is not that unlikely though.
Please keep in mind anything after this point are very likely to change.

As mentioned there is CVN-65 and a collection of different naval vessels. Exactly which of these that will be ready when is hard to say.
There might be as many as 10 PLAN vessels but a significant number of them are submarines.

Among aircraft I consider these most likely to be made :

Chengdu J-7/Mig-21 (might make these as separate I have yet to decide also yes I remember the Romanian version)
Shaanxi Y-8
Shin Meiwa US-1A
Xian H-20
Shenyang J-31.

I also have plans for a ZBL-08. I got ideas for more PRC vehicles but when exactly they will happen is harder to say.

I might also make some additional european/russian vehicles but except for the AMX-30 I have not added any specific vehicles to my short term list. Plenty for long term though.
I also want to make a Centurion at some point.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Cool! Always nice to think of all the new things to come while we wait. :-)

What exactly did you mean with the Type 91?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

The Type 91 is the Type 87 SPAAG that I converted into a bridge layer.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

First attempt at updating the main and tail rotors on the AH-1. I decided to redo the rotors from the base rather than work with the already blurred rotors.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

These are the notes we had for how rotors are done for our models;
A system has been chosen for creating a fake spinning propeller;
In 3DS max, on the front view, create a cone with 2 for radius 1, 0 for radius 2, 2 for Height, 1 for Height segments,1 for Cap segments and 12 for size.
Convert it to "Editable poly".
Select the flat round side in "polygon mode" and click on the Box button next to the "Inset" button then "OK" and click on the "collapse" button => that will split the round side in even triangles
Select 1 edge of one of the round side and click on loop to select all its edges
Center the edge loop.
Select all the vertex and scale the object on the Y axis to get a flat "flying soccer" shape.
Unwrap the object using the usual process.
In photoshop, using the 12 sides disc shape reference layer from the object created in Max, create a flat representation of the rotor blade (2, 3, 5,... blades).
Merge the layers to have only 1 layer with all the blades
Ctrl +click on the reference layer with the reference circle shape and select the merged layer with the blades.
Select Filter->Blur->Radial blur in the menu, select "Best quality" and "Spin", increase the "Amount" to 100 and click "OK" => That will create a spinning blur effect on the blades
Duplicate the layer create and rotate the duplicate 180 degrees => The will give the doubling effect illusion when the rotor blades are spinning.
Hide the reference layer with the reference circle shape
Get rid of the black background and save the file as .png like a regular texture file
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Out of interest Nerei, have you seen a site called shipbucket? its good for pictures of various ships.
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Nerei wrote: Mar 31 2018 First attempt at updating the main and tail rotors on the AH-1. I decided to redo the rotors from the base rather than work with the already blurred rotors.
Thank you for this update!

EDIT: btw, I want to say that you`ve really nailed the engines on the Viper version. It looks the part in game.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Balthagor wrote: Mar 31 2018 These are the notes we had for how rotors are done for our models;
A system has been chosen for creating a fake spinning propeller;
In 3DS max, on the front view, create a cone with 2 for radius 1, 0 for radius 2, 2 for Height, 1 for Height segments,1 for Cap segments and 12 for size.
Convert it to "Editable poly".
Select the flat round side in "polygon mode" and click on the Box button next to the "Inset" button then "OK" and click on the "collapse" button => that will split the round side in even triangles
Select 1 edge of one of the round side and click on loop to select all its edges
Center the edge loop.
Select all the vertex and scale the object on the Y axis to get a flat "flying soccer" shape.
Unwrap the object using the usual process.
In photoshop, using the 12 sides disc shape reference layer from the object created in Max, create a flat representation of the rotor blade (2, 3, 5,... blades).
Merge the layers to have only 1 layer with all the blades
Ctrl +click on the reference layer with the reference circle shape and select the merged layer with the blades.
Select Filter->Blur->Radial blur in the menu, select "Best quality" and "Spin", increase the "Amount" to 100 and click "OK" => That will create a spinning blur effect on the blades
Duplicate the layer create and rotate the duplicate 180 degrees => The will give the doubling effect illusion when the rotor blades are spinning.
Hide the reference layer with the reference circle shape
Get rid of the black background and save the file as .png like a regular texture file
That is actually not that far from what I am doing. I personally use the top of an 8 sided cylinder. Likewise I also draw up the basic shape of the rotors.
I do however use radial blur on multiple versions of the basic rotors to create the basic blurred shapes and a more transparent disc.
In Photoshop CC there is also a tool called motion blur which is basically a tool for faking motion blur on say a spinning wheel but should also work for helicopters or prop aircraft.
SGTscuba wrote:Out of interest Nerei, have you seen a site called shipbucket? its good for pictures of various ships.
Yes I have seen it. I have also used it for a few vessels. The drawings are fairly easy to work with as reference. The only annoying part is that it is almost always only side-view. The Forums however also sometimes have reference material posted so it is in general a good place to look.
MK4 wrote:
Nerei wrote: Mar 31 2018 First attempt at updating the main and tail rotors on the AH-1. I decided to redo the rotors from the base rather than work with the already blurred rotors.
Thank you for this update!

EDIT: btw, I want to say that you`ve really nailed the engines on the Viper version. It looks the part in game.
Compared to a lot of models the AH-1Z was actually quite fast and easy to make.

I have been working a bit on PRC aircraft. The Y-8 (and possibly some variants) and J-31 almost certainly should make it for the next update rather than the one after that.
The H-20 though is delayed pending more research as most sources are conflicting. I might also repurpose it into a generic steal bomber and try to push it further away from the B-2/B-21 visually.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Nerei, do you include MK4 adjustment suggestions on model size in your picnums lines or is it something BG is supposed to do when they implement them in the game?
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I am fairly certain Mr. Latour adjusts scales based on his own preferences for the core game. Personally I tend to just add Mk4's suggestions with the next release of models. My scale values tend to basically be placeholders that is not completely insane.

Also not much progress on the AFV's as I have felt more like working on aircraft in the last days. I might have a preview in a few days.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Lately I've been using most of the scale suggestions.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Nerei wrote: Apr 04 2018 I am fairly certain Mr. Latour adjusts scales based on his own preferences for the core game. Personally I tend to just add Mk4's suggestions with the next release of models. My scale values tend to basically be placeholders that is not completely insane.

Also not much progress on the AFV's as I have felt more like working on aircraft in the last days. I might have a preview in a few days.
Care to make camo for region x when/if doing Mig-21?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

That should be doable.

Technically though most of my reference are for later versions of the Chengdu J-7 but at the scale we are dealing with they are basically identical to more modern Mig-21
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Nerei wrote: Apr 05 2018 That should be doable.

Technically though most of my reference are for later versions of the Chengdu J-7 but at the scale we are dealing with they are basically identical to more modern Mig-21
Thanks! But only if you find the time/will...no pressure, as always :wink:
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I am planning a PRC, DPRK, Indian, Russian, East European and Middle east version anyway so having Yugoslavia also is no problem. Yes it will probably beat the F-104 in number of regional textures although in complexity it might not.

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”