3D modelling

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Nerei
General
Human: Yes

Re: 3D modelling

Post by Nerei »

Yes I plan to use an alpha channel. I just tend to not use it while working on the texture as Maya is annoying when it comes to rendering photoshop alpha channels.

Also yes it should be possible to convert it into a standard Challenger II. Most parts are already there and stripping the spaced and bar armour from the model will give a lot of additional space to work with on the texture map.
The main difference is probably that the side-skirt on this model is simpler than it should be on a base model but I do not plan on putting details on the vehicle that are not visible and it is currently hidden by the spaced armour.

I might do this at some point. I would probably also strip the model of the camouflage netting and add new props which will be a bit more work but also further distinguish the models from each other.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

The Rosomak is now mostly done. The Texture map has plenty of space so making other versions should be fairly easy
Still missing weathering and dirt.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Wow, looks great! Now, I really can't wait for the next release :D

Can you give us a hint of what units you expect to be present in next release?
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

With the usual caveats that things might change, I might have forgotten something etc. this should be the models that are likely to make it:

ZTZ99A2
Merkava IVm
TR-85M1
T-55
Rosomak
Type 91 bridge layer
Ajax
Boxer
Type 10
TR-85M1
PLZ-05
FV4034 Challenger II
Tu-22M3
Tu-160
YB-60
J-7III/Mig-21
J-8II
JH-7
Y-8
J-31

The main time requirements for these models is regional textures for the T-55, Finishing the Challenger II and PLZ 05 as well as weathering and putting grime on a few units.

Unit models that are less likely to make it:
DD-103 Ayanami
Mashu fleet replenishment ship
F-35
F-22
Mig-19/J-6
Hiraga battleship concept
Type 45 Destroyer
Queen Elizabeth class aircraft carrier
Iowa class battleship Desert storm era
CVN-65 USS Enterprise
Assortment of PLAN and Russian vessels
number47
General

Post by number47 »

And the release is planned for second half of May, right?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I am a bit hesitant to give any dates as I really cannot say when it will happen. Chances are I might go out on a tangent and work on something that delays it.
Most of my time in the past day or two has gone into the Hiraga battleship design.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

No pressure, I was just curious to see if we can expect an update in May. Now I don't expect it in May any more but if it by any chance comes in May, it will be a positive surprise :D
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

It is entirely possible it might be May. I am not ruling that out at all and it is a decent target to strive for. I just do not want to say "yes it will be late May" only to have to change it later.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

No problem Nerei, I understood you perfectly. I'm just playing with my expectations out loud :wink:
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I will try and see if I can have something ready sometime in May but no promises. I might be able to say more sometime in May.

Quick render of the Yuzuru Hiraga late 1920's "treaty" battleship design. Still some work left but it is starting to look like a warship if a strange one.

Originally this was intended to be a Kongō replacement when the Washington Naval treaty 10 year ban on battleship construction ended in the early 1930's but that was scrapped when Japan signed the First London Naval treaty in early 1932. By 1936 when Japan refused to sign the Second London Naval treaty plans for treaty battleships where entirely abandoned.

This would probably be the typical Japanese approach to naval treaties meaning it would likely be as compliant with treaties as the Mogami or try just as hard to bend them to breaking point as the Ryūjō. Possibly both really.

The concept is basically to have maximum firepower on as small a platform as possible typical to Imperial navy designs of this period.
The design of the superstructure and placement of the main battery is to keep the heavy belt armour as short as possible meaning there is probably not enough buoyancy in the main citadel to keep the warship afloat if the lightly armoured bow and stern where to be flooded.

Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

But this ship is not in the game :-?
Please teach AI everything!
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Indeed it is not in-game but neither is the Izumo class helicopter carrier, Type 10 Hitomaru MBT, Type 99 HSP, Kawasaki P-1 MPA, Cougar MRAP, Strike cruiser concept and possibly several other models I have made.
Other models like Akizuki class DDG, Type 03 Chū SAM, Type 16 MCV and again possibly other models where made before they had designs in-game.

Of the models I am currently making I am fairly certain the YB-60 and Type 91 Bridge layer does not have designs either and I suspect my upcoming PRC/Russian warships will add several also.

Really I have made plenty of models not covered by the base game so I am not too concerned by one more. Also to some extend I make models I like and I really like this strange design and have wanted to make it for some time.

If nothing else it can always be used to add variety as right now every single battleship in the game (except for the Japanese ones I have already made) is an early dreadnought battleship (likely HMS Dreadnought), post conversion US Tennessee class battleship or what looks like a 1980's Iowa.
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

I'll try to add some of these for my mod. I planned to add all Japanese pre-treaty designs of the '20s naval plan (like Tosa classs battleship), but then woul'd need to add all of the ships planned for every major power... result woul'd be highly unrealistic game with never built ships. But ,on the other hand, I have added units that were never even in the prototype phase so I don't know what to do.
Please teach AI everything!
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I would probably add them simply for the alternate history scenarios that this series seems to produce more often than not. There is potential scenarios where battleship construction would continue into the 1920's and in those cases nations would have a long period without new warship designs.
Naturally in some cases from what I can tell there was no new designs for quite a few years so that situation might not be entirely avoidable but it would not really be unique to the 1920's and 30's either.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Got a bit carried away and decided to work a bit on a 1930's refit Nagato class battleship

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”