3D modelling

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Nerei
General
Human: Yes

Re: 3D modelling

Post by Nerei »

I found a picture of an Italian KC-767 and given that I already had the majority of the work in place I decided to adjust the Japanese version into an Italian variant.

Yes my reason for doing this is pretty much entirely the tail art. There might be further tweaks but overall it is pretty much done.

I also did some minor tweaks to the texture setup so making regional versions is now easier and there are some shading adjustments. There are also minor changes to the UV map so it will need a re-export. I might do further shading tweaks also.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

tail art looks mega mate
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I decided to take a break from PLAN and PLAGF to get some old models originally intended for the Japan collection done. Turns out there whee a C-130 among them so add that to the list of western models.

The setup is rendered with only ambient lighting so it should resemble what it would look in-game. The C-130 and YS-11 in particular still need some work. Also none of them have anything but Japanese regional textures for now. There will also be a KC-130 and YS-11E (I still have to decide if it will be EA or EB) variant.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

c-130 is a very welcome addition the in game model isn't far away but wont be a patch on yours!
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I honestly do not look at what models are already there. I mostly just make models I like making be they requests or something I want to see. Half of the reason I like making these models is that I can try and make the aircraft look realistic. That is going to be far harder with some of the BG models.

If you look at say the F-4 phantom model large parts of it is mirrored and with the camouflage pattern it has I do find it noticeable. Now this makes sense from an economic perspective. It is faster to make the texture and in general you can get higher resolution on what you are making.
The problem is well, it is mirrored. You cannot really put text on the model and complex camouflage are likely to be very visibly mirrored.

I have the luxury of being able to use whatever time I want to make a model which I do. If it takes 5 hours more to make that C-130 to my preferences rather than just "good enough" I will do just that. BG cannot afford that approach if they want a decent selection of unit models.

To take the in-game C-130 model in as an example it mirrors almost everything except for the wings from what I can tell. That really puts limitations on what I can possibly do.

As an example here is a picture of an Indian C-130

Notice the large text on the fuselage saying "INDIAN AIR FORCE". That would look horrible mirrored.

Also it is written in sanskrit on the other side so I would have to decide what to skip which makes it less of an Indian aircraft.

Here is an example of the YB-60 US regional texture on a completely mirrored model. It is an extreme example but it should also highlight the limitations on an in-game model

Really this is why I do not just make re-textures of existing models as the models for the most part are not bad. I just cannot create say an Indian C-130 properly from it and if I cannot do that I really do not see a point in doing it at all. The improvement is too limited.

That YB-60 even have all the different engine pods mapped to different parts of the texture map so if I want to create a camouflage pattern at a later time that has different colours on them I can do it. It is however not done on any of the currently existing regional texture maps.

That is not to say I do not map different parts of a model to the same parts of a UV map. I do especially with warships and on that C-130 the propellers are all identical as I feel I can easily get away with it.

So in short (yes too late I know) I just have the luxury of dedicating the time I need to not have to impose limits to the models which might later limit what I can do with them.

Also with regards to the C-130 if there are any suggestions for regional textures ideally with pictures feel free to suggest them. The number of operators means covering everything is probably not going to happen right away so I might as well pick something people want.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

pretty please? :D

Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

That should be doable. I have done anniversary paint-schemes before on models. Both JSDF F-15 models are examples of that.

I will probably make a more subdued KC-130 version and people that prefer to not have giant Union Jacks on the vertical stabilizer can do a bit of file replacement. Their UV map difference will be minor.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

i look forward to it :D
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

It might be a bit as I am working on something else that will take some time. It should hopefully be worth it though and it is related to this. But more about that when it is ready.

In the meantime here is an attempt at making an Atago/Arleigh Burke style vessel more in the size range of Kirov.

Also I will continue to make UGBITS icons despite them being somewhat optional now as honestly I really do not like the new system.
Demonius
Lieutenant
Location: United States, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Post by Demonius »

hey nerei can you please post a picture of the your Yamato - Aegis Conversion unit picnum so i can see what it looks like, i might use that model for a fictive/future battleship for my mod. also if the above model gets added by BG i'll definitely be using that one if its added
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Sure
I am making a few changes to it though. Mostly I am cutting down the number 76mm cannons, replacing the fore and aft 127mm cannons with heavier artillery and a roughly 10-15m Jumboisation midships. It is also getting a bit of a texture polish.
Demonius
Lieutenant

Post by Demonius »

i really like that so im definitely gonna use it thanks
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

You are free to bundle models not added to the core game. I have yet to see any ID change as I largely just add to the 1536-1999 range and so far all I have made have been included eventually even if they are not used in the core game.
I really should probably just send the latest set of models to BG as they should really be functional. At least I do not remember hearing anything to the contrary.

I have a document with documentation about the models I have made if you have not seen it yet.
link
part of it is locked as I have had problems with people doing inaccurate edits to public documents I had posted but like for everyone else if you think it would be good to have editing right to those cells let me know.

Also this is the updated version (notice the number on the helideck and hull now matches ^_-).
I have cut 4 76mm as they where really overkill and replaced the fore and aft 127mm cannon with turrets taken from the Hiraga battleship concept (pretend they are not form the 1930's please) which should better allow it to engage enemy light vessels beyond the range of the smaller cannons without having to rely on anti-ship missiles or the main cannons. Half the deck mounted ASM tubes where badly positioned so they have been removed. They could just go in VLS cells anyway and I installed a few more on the deck edge.
The hull have been lengthened to better fit the new secondaries but I am using the excuse of it allowing better space for machinery and increased length-beam ratio.
Actually creating these fictive models are quite fun as it allows a more creative approach.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Quick question:

Anyone got suggestions for modern Italian vehicle camouflage ideally something that is not too close to either
or

All I can find is like the below image which is fairly close to these two or just a plain green and I would prefer it being more distinct from those two as I have already used them for French and German vehicles.
Basically is there a cold war camouflage pattern that is different or something like that as I would prefer not going back to world war 2 either.
Really I would prefer if everything is not 3 tone NATO camouflage or plain green. If there is no other good historic options I think we will put it to a vote for either green, NATO 3 tone or fictive (if fictive please suggest).
Demonius
Lieutenant

Post by Demonius »

do you happen to have a page like imgur or something that has pics of all your new meshes on it?

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”