Qwerty's Modern Mod

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

qwerty2316
Sergeant
Human: Yes

Qwerty's Modern Mod

Post by qwerty2316 »

Version 1.25:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v7jj8yl26pav4 ... 25.7z?dl=0
(Legacy versions below)

Hello,

One of my biggest draws towards the Supreme Ruler series is dealing with an otherwise realistic world. The Cold War and WW2 starts have some level of historical realism but the more modern starts have always seemed vague and bland.

This mod is intended to make playing in 2017 more realistic and hopefully more fun. Focusing mostly on the US (for now), the bulk of changes are over its Order Of Battle and its allies. You can look forward to such things as a fully interconnected NATO, Five Eyes, and other realistic diplomatic fixes. The conflict in Iraq and Syria is now actually a conflict, all of the USN's ships are given their correct names, near-future units such as the B-21 and SR-72 are added and modern ones are given more realistic capabilities. You can also look forward to the US's SLBM and ICBM stockpile and silos.
I've had a great time playtesting this mod and hopefully the same goes for anyone who tries it.

Have fun and don't forget to Strategic Nuke someone every once in a while.

Note:
This mod makes the US significantly easier at the start. This isn't all that unrealistic, but if there are any realistic changes I could make to its opponents to balance things out a bit, I would be happy to do so.

INSTRUCTIONS
-----------------
To use the mod, unzip the attached files and put the three folders into your main 'Supreme Ruler Ultimate' folder. They will merge with existing folders, but not overwrite any files.
The scenario can then be launched from the singleplayer sandbox menu.

CHANGELOG
---------

Version 1.0:

Diplomacy:
----------
-NATO alliance network added.
-Five Eyes alliance network added.
-US asian allies added.
-Ukraine now more friendly to the west, hostile to Russia.
-North Korea less friendly to and less liked by the US and Allies
-Iran less friendly to the west.
-Afghanistan and Iraq more friendly towards the US.
-Better relations between Iran and Iraq
-US given full transit treaty with Gulf States.
-US given full transit to Panama and Egypt. (I couldn't give the US access to only the canal zones, so this will have to work for now.)
-War between ISIS and the US, UK, France, Russia, Syria, Iraq, and Kurdistan.
-War between Syria and Kurdistan.
-Kurdistan and Iraq now more friendly.
-US and Mexico now more friendly.
-Misc diplomatic tweaks and fixes.

Military:
---------

United States:
-Land unit overhaul. Proper numbers of M1A1s and M1A2s replace M60s, Bradleys replace some M113s, and number of supply trucks vastly increased.
-Naval unit overhaul. USN given its realistic OOB as of the start date, all units given correct name.
-Air unit overhaul. US squadrons changed to more realistic numbers. A few more F-35s, a lot of F-18Es and Fs replacing Cs and Ds. More Ospreys and Growlers.
-300 of 450 nuclear silos placed.
-US given proper amount of Trident and Minuteman missiles.
-Minuteman missile range increased to simulate actual capability. Damage slightly increased.
-F-35 given a larger, more realistic range.
-EA-18G given larger, more realistic range. Improved land defence value to simulate ECM. Now its actually worth considering.
-F-16C given slightly better AA stats to simulate AMRAAM.
-F-15C crew per plane decreased from 2 to 1.
-B-21 Raider added. Alternative to the B-3 with an increased price, decreased attack value and range, but better recon, stealth, and defense.

-SR-72 Aurora added. Alternative to the U-3 with increased price, vastly increased speed, worse radar, and increased defense.

UK:
-No longer start with Challenger 3 and Rapid Effects System.
-Start with SAS Commandos.

Russia:
-Start with Spetznaz.

Iran:
-No longer start with nuclear weapons or designs.

Belarus:
-No longer start with nuclear weapons.

Syria:
-Fixed bug where some air units would die on start.

Domestic:
---------
-Villiage of Al Qaim added in ISIS-held Iraq.

FUTURE PLANS
------------
-Further correct diplomatic opinions.
-Give France, the UK, and China realistic nuclear arsenals.
-Correct OOBs of major powers.
-Name all ships of major powers.
-Return ISIS loyalty to proper countries if possible.
-Remove other futuristic designs that shouldn't be already researched.
-Remove US 'Efficient Fusion Power' starting tech. (harder than you would imagine)
-Tweak North Korean OOB.
-Make Ohio SSGN actually useful.

Thanks for reading!
Please feel free to suggest changes, this is my first mod for Shrew and while I've tested it pretty thoroughly, there could be a bug or two in the mod or in the upload process.
I would also love to see some requests, researching everything is a bit difficult and I'd be happy to expand this mod to other areas where appropriate.

Legacy Versions:
Version 1.2:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/trfccchwct20a ... .2.7z?dl=0
Version 1.1:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gdjscn6siya88 ... .1.7z?dl=0
Version 1.0:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xpfsamql83ysm ... od.7z?dl=0
Last edited by qwerty2316 on Sep 25 2017, edited 6 times in total.
Nerei
General

Re: Qwerty's Modern Mod

Post by Nerei »

If you can make a realistic modern setup that ideally also feels a bit alive then that definitely sounds interesting.

As for suggestions I know YoMomma have made some bug-fixes for the 2020 sandboxes. I know this is 2017 but I got a feeling they are also present in base 2017 and if they are you might be able to get the fixes from there. I do admit though I do not know how easy it would be to merge them in.
It might also be worth checking up on What ID's BG is using for SR:GW so you do not use the same as they do and you might be able to cooperate with Zuikaku and BlackEagle on unit designs. No need to make units if they have already been made by someone else.

No matter what though I will wish you good luck.
qwerty2316
Sergeant

Post by qwerty2316 »

Thanks,
I can't vouch for the late-game, but early game is a lot more fun, especially playing as the US. Something as simple as updating the M60s to M1A1s and 2s (in realistic numbers of course) makes early wars a bit less of a drag.
Also, I got to see Russia declare war on Estonia then proceed to get stomped by a truly multinational army. Instead of, you know, easily destroying them and no one caring. The force stalled a bit away from Moscow, at least until 100k of (my) US troops arrived and 'liberated' it.

Some of the changes in the released version should make fighting Iran (at least as the US) a bit more realistic. Not to mention the US will now always get involved during the Korean war (even if in ridiculously low numbers) thanks to a starting alliance with Korea.

I looked at the other mods you mentioned. There are definitely some things that are worth using, so I'll have to talk to them sometime. However, it doesn't look like anyone else has added the B-21 or Sr-72 yet so I'm good on that front.

I'm probably going to shift my focus towards Russia now. Name all of its ships, tweak its army, get rid of that futuristic BTR, add its nuclear arsenal, fix its diplomatic situation, then playtest it a bit to see where I can go from there. Basically try to, within bounds, make it a bit more competitive with NATO. It should also make strategic nuclear war a bit more fun. I'm not as familiar to the Russian military and documentation is a lot more sparse, but I should still be able to work through it.

A few questions, for you or anyone else:
-How do you create multiple treaties between two countries. For instance: Full Transit and LOS.
-Is it possible to edit how the Canal Zones are treated, for instance so they automatically allow aircraft to pass like they currently do for ships.
-Is it possible to edit max missile size separate from missile capacity.
-How do you create a unit that no region/country can research. On a similar point what makes command units unbuildable, even with the 'allunit' cheat.

Thanks again,
-Qwerty
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

Good to see another modern mod. US will prolly be the last region im gonna fix for balancing reasons, but all the luck to you.
qwerty2316 wrote:Thanks,
1 How do you create multiple treaties between two countries. For instance: Full Transit and LOS.
2 Is it possible to edit how the Canal Zones are treated, for instance so they automatically allow aircraft to pass like they currently do for ships.
3 Is it possible to edit max missile size separate from missile capacity.
4 How do you create a unit that no region/country can research. On a similar point what makes command units unbuildable, even with the 'allunit' cheat.

Thanks again,
-Qwerty
Concerning your questions, ill be happy to answer them, but you should post each of them in a seperate topic. Big change it will be several major posts in your topic.
Gameplay 1st
qwerty2316
Sergeant

Post by qwerty2316 »

YoMomma wrote:Good to see another modern mod. US will prolly be the last region im gonna fix for balancing reasons, but all the luck to you.
qwerty2316 wrote:Thanks,
1 How do you create multiple treaties between two countries. For instance: Full Transit and LOS.
2 Is it possible to edit how the Canal Zones are treated, for instance so they automatically allow aircraft to pass like they currently do for ships.
3 Is it possible to edit max missile size separate from missile capacity.
4 How do you create a unit that no region/country can research. On a similar point what makes command units unbuildable, even with the 'allunit' cheat.

Thanks again,
-Qwerty
Concerning your questions, ill be happy to answer them, but you should post each of them in a seperate topic. Big change it will be several major posts in your topic.
Ahh, I was hoping the explanations wouldn't be too complicated. Anyway, none of them are terribly urgent, I've found a workaround for 1, an alternative to 2 and 3, and 4 was for something I hope to work on in the future. Perhaps I could PM you?

Anyway, the latest version of the mod is currently in the oven, so barring any bugs I should have it uploaded withing the next hour or so.

I would say focus is a bit different from yours. Besides being a different* sandbox, I'm not terribly concerned with balancing. I've spent a bit of time getting the Syrian Civil War looking better, but rather to make the scenario a bit more authentic rather than for balance. Also, adding NATO generally slams the table in the US's favor.

Though really, the only reason this mod exists (and I got into SR modding at all), is because the US was missing a CVN. :P
Hopefully long term I'll gather up the nerve to mess with starting research.

*Different only really in name
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Nice mod, but are these missile silos?

because if they are, I don't think it really reflects real world. Sure, US has many missile silos, but one missile silo facility in the game probably reflects a huge infrastructure of missile silos, because

using just one you can launch hundreds of missiles

and

the way you made it make is look like hundreds of square kilometers of land have missile silos built over them :D
qwerty2316
Sergeant

Post by qwerty2316 »

Kristijonas wrote:Nice mod, but are these missile silos?

because if they are, I don't think it really reflects real world. Sure, US has many missile silos, but one missile silo facility in the game probably reflects a huge infrastructure of missile silos, because

using just one you can launch hundreds of missiles

and

the way you made it make is look like hundreds of square kilometers of land have missile silos built over them :D
I thought about that, but I believe the silos have a delay after firing each missile. The reload time is way too short (maybe I could fix that), but there seems to be one nonetheless.

Also, this is a screenshot from a Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations import. These were my main sources for getting the general shape of the silo fields:

Each of the rectangular symbols counts as a nuclear silo. Of course, there are a few miles in-between each silo, but the scale of military complexes in SR has always been a bit wonky. Also, I'd bet there is a decent exclusion zone around each silo anyway, so while the land isn't paved over there isn't anything significant there anyway.

Finally, I did some calculations on the upkeep for all of my silos and it was ~2x the annual cost of the modern US missile silo force. As such, perhaps the maintenance cost should be halved, but it doesn't really support your claim that each is supposed to represent dozens to hundreds of silos.

If you've found anything different calculation wise I would love to hear it, but this is how I justified the placement to myself.

Thanks for the constructive criticism though! :)

As for why I haven't posted the update yet, the last change I wanted to make before posting it broke a significant chunk of the UI and I've been busy until now today.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Thanks for the reply. As for how missile silos work in the game - I think you can send ~100 missiles like, in an instant. I know I sent ~50 missiles having only 3 missile silos in the game, and they all were sent in an instant. I think the only point of having more than 1 missile silo in this game is to be able to reach places you wouldn't otherwise be able to.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Good to see someone putting time and effort into a modern mod.. something lots in the community like to see.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
qwerty2316
Sergeant

Post by qwerty2316 »

Finally fixed that problem and improved a few other things. It was a weird formatting bug that was fixed by changing the file in Notepad rather than excel.

The new version is now in the OP, but here it is again for convenience.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gdjscn6siya88 ... .1.7z?dl=0

This version focuses mostly on Russia, Ukraine, and the Middle East.
Adds the Russian nuclear arsenal to balance out the US'.

I actually had a bunch of problems naming all the Russian naval units since the naming/numbering system seems extremely counter-intuitive. If I did anything wrong, I'd love to hear it.

Here's the full(ish) changelog:

CHANGELOG
---------

Version 1.1:

Diplomacy:
----------
-Relations between Russia and other countries changed. Russian-Belarussian and Russian-Syrian alliances added.
-Relations between ISIS and other countries changed.
-Relations in north-eastern asia changed.
-Fixed 'Allied to self' bug with 2 countries in NATO.
-Relations between Middle Eastern countries changed.
-Relations between US and Middle Eastern countries more friendly, plus LOS and Transit treaties where appropriate.
-China *slightly* less warmonger-y.
-Switzerland liked more in Europe. No longer quickly attacked by France.

Military:
---------

Russia:
-OOB overhaul. Futuristic units removed, some unit numbers decreased while others increased. Naval units named where reasonable.
-Admiral Grigorovich frigate added.
-Nuclear triad added.
-Stilleto and Satan MIRVs buffed to do more damage than non-MIRV alternatives, range increases.
-Both variants of the Kilo-class submarine nerfed.

Ukraine:
-OOB overhaul. Futuristic units removed, unit numbers changed to be slightly more realistic. Larger naval vessels named.

Syria:
-OOB overhaul. Nerfed around the board. Still beats ISIS quicker than I would like. Considering a buff to ISIS.
-Unit positioning bug fixed.

North Korea:
-Land production slightly decreased.

Saudi Arabia:
-Removed 2 LCS frigates.
qwerty2316
Sergeant

Post by qwerty2316 »

Kristijonas wrote:Thanks for the reply. As for how missile silos work in the game - I think you can send ~100 missiles like, in an instant. I know I sent ~50 missiles having only 3 missile silos in the game, and they all were sent in an instant. I think the only point of having more than 1 missile silo in this game is to be able to reach places you wouldn't otherwise be able to.
I haven't specifically tested it, so I was purely speaking from what I thought I had experienced. Perhaps I should, but the caching process is pretty good at dissuading things like that.

But yeah, that and redundancy; don't want your entire ICBM arsenal rendered impotent by a well placed SLBM.
Fistalis wrote:Good to see someone putting time and effort into a modern mod.. something lots in the community like to see.
That means a lot coming from the master of modern mods himself. :)

Edit:
I just realized that the SR:U update will probably be out before anyone reads this, much less tries this mod.
Ohh well, FOR SCIENCE!
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

qwerty2316 wrote:
Fistalis wrote:Good to see someone putting time and effort into a modern mod.. something lots in the community like to see.
That means a lot coming from the master of modern mods himself. :)
I regret i no longer have the time to put into such a large project.. or even to properly update my old ones... so i'm happy to see someone else picking up the torch and carrying on... the community deserves someone who can do a modern mod justice and with my current schedule in life i'm just not up to the task. Don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions or i can offer any assistance.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
qwerty2316
Sergeant

Post by qwerty2316 »

Fistalis wrote: I regret i no longer have the time to put into such a large project.. or even to properly update my old ones... so i'm happy to see someone else picking up the torch and carrying on... the community deserves someone who can do a modern mod justice and with my current schedule in life i'm just not up to the task. Don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions or i can offer any assistance.
Yeah, life is like that. Thanks for the offer of help, I might just have to take you up on that one of these days.

For now, my current goal is to update the mod to the current game version, which shouldn't be too difficult from a technical standpoint, but is going to require a lot of effort just shifting over the modified unit values. Fortunately, for the time being, the mod remains perfectly playable. There is a single UI bug regarding the allowance of Chemical weapons, but everything else should be perfectly playable. Well, you might be missing some WW1 era units, but that hardly matters in the modern times.
qwerty2316
Sergeant

Post by qwerty2316 »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/trfccchwct20a ... .2.7z?dl=0

Everything should now be compatible with the latest SR:U Update.
Otherwise no actual changes of note.

Oh, there is a little bonus, I fixed a UI bug in the most recent update of the game where there aren't graphics for the elements 'Allow Chemical Weapons' and 'Allow Rail Usage'.
jakers
Sergeant

Post by jakers »

As a Serbian, I'll point out some stuff that needs fixing in the original game related to Serbia and Balkans countries, as well as some nice additions, so if you have time for any of these, it would be much appreciated :)

Relations of Serbia:

In the game, Serbian relations are all wrong in a lot of cases, so from the scale of 1 (xx country hates Serbia), 5 (neutral) to 10 (xx country loves Serbia), I'll write what relations there should be:

Russia +10
Belarus +10
Republic of Srpska (if present, didn't play the game for a long time) +10

Each of these should have the relations good enough for the option to ally from the start.

Greece 8 or 9 (in all SR games Greece hates Serbia, which is the exact opposite of the real world, in real world Serbs and Greeks are great friends, I pointed this out at least 4 times on the forum on different places, but it never got fixed :( )

Ukraine and Georgia 7 or 8 (these also hate Serbia in the game, more than anyone, but it makes no sense, these countries are in ok'ish relations with Serbia)

Poland 5 or 6 (same as above, Poland hates Serbia in the game, but in reality they are neutral at the worst)

Bulgaria, Hungary, Montenegro and Macedonia should also be 5 (neutral)

Croatia, Bosnia (non-Serbian part), Turkey and Albania should be about 2

aaand finally, Kosovo should be 1, or the main enemy.

----

In real life USA has about a 1000 soldiers in Kosovo and some other NATO countries have additional 2 or 3 thousand in KFOR force, thus Kosovo should be allied with USA and USA should have some troops (basic infantry type, nothing heavy) stationed there. Kosovo in game also has no soldiers pretty much, in real world it has about 2500, plus 1000 reservists (it could have even +20.000 in a case of war), but it has no heavy armor, so these could be made of small infantry battalions spread out across cities. This would make a war with Serbia way more interesting than just Serbian army entering a empty territory.

----
Loyalty

North Kosovo and some other places with Serbian majority should have loyalty to Serbia if that is possible in the game, google Serbs in Kosovo for a more precise map.

Same with Montenegro, loyalty to Serbia in the blue regions

(When Montenegro had a referendum on independence from a union state with Serbia in 2006, these blue regions voted against independence and for unity with Serbia, majority ethnic Serbs live there)

When it comes to Serbia, things get a little tricky. See that small patch of Albanian ethnic majority just east of Kosovo? Those are cities of Bujanovac and Presevo (not Vranje, Vranje is Serbian) That should be really loyal to Kosovo. The green area northwest of Kosovo, called ,,Sandzak" should be loyal to Bosnia (Bosniaks live there) and maybe Hungarian majority territories in the north should be loyal to Hungary, although they are loyal to Serbia, but what the heck, it might make for a more interesting gameplay :)

Macedonia, the western part should be loyal to Albania and relations with Albania should be maybe 2, maybe 1. There was a real war there in 2001. with Albanian insurgents.

In Bosnia there are also a lot of Croatians, mostly near the sea, so that could also be made into a Croatia loyal area.

Romania has a huge Hungarian minority, so...you know the drill.

That's pretty much it, there could be a bunch of other things done, but if even 1% of this gets done, it would be great. :)

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”