Chinese becoming a Super Power?

Off Topic Comments Area

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Hullu Hevonen
General

Chinese becoming a Super Power?

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

China has taken a step towards the Super Power title?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-14470882
http://aljazeera.com/news/asia-pacific/ ... 23303.html

EDIT:
China's 'official' view, "No need to be unsettled over China's first aircraft carrier".
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/i ... 040765.htm
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
Chesehead
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Chinese becoming a Super Power?

Post by Chesehead »

They still have a ways off.. Give them 20 years and then talk..
yaron74
Warrant Officer
Human: Yes

Post by yaron74 »

If china want it in 3-4 years it can pass the US
sugarkane
Lieutenant

Post by sugarkane »

How does an aircraft carrier determine a nations status as a superpower?

Even military does not determine a superpower status in the modern perspective.

Quite frankly they will be supporting every other countries economy. This I believe will determine their strength. China have slowly been relaxing their rules over the years. That is not to suggest them becoming democratic.

It will directly effect everything including emigration, business and lets not forget tourism.

China are likely to be the biggest superpower in years to come!

Apologies for not providing any evidential material, its bed time...But I felt it was important to bring this to the debate early. Links to follow in the coming days....
Too bad the only people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and cutting hair

George Burns
Mission Space
Colonel

Post by Mission Space »

As long as they dont invade the Free World im fine.
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Mission Space wrote:As long as they dont invade the Free World im fine.
but.. but.. according to them they 'are' the free world... :lol:
Happy Linux user!
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

How does an aircraft carrier determine a nations status as a superpower?
An aircraft carrier gives a nation the ability to give a show of force anywhere in the world, (well just about anywhere). With a single carrier capable of enough fire power to rival all but a few of the world nations militaries. Its a fully operational movable airfield that can be positioned anywhere in the worlds oceans.
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

An Chinese air craft carrier could be significant to the expansion of the Chinese offensive strategies. Think what China could do with 1 carrier. Say a War starts(or continues) with Taiwan, China could simply position a carrier fleet behind Taiwan and launch multiply air attacks from different directions. Or they could force a smaller nation to bow to their will, like forcing Brunei or Malaysia of their claims on the spratly islands. Or they could put up a significantly harder fight for the US fleets. Though I think missiles is slowly overtaking significance in sea warfare from carriers.
Happy Linux user!
Necrophobia_70
Warrant Officer

Post by Necrophobia_70 »

Taken a step? China is always a superpower whenever the west need to increase their military spending...
Chesehead
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Chesehead »

Hullu Hevonen wrote:An Chinese air craft carrier could be significant to the expansion of the Chinese offensive strategies. Think what China could do with 1 carrier. Say a War starts(or continues) with Taiwan, China could simply position a carrier fleet behind Taiwan and launch multiply air attacks from different directions. Or they could force a smaller nation to bow to their will, like forcing Brunei or Malaysia of their claims on the spratly islands. Or they could put up a significantly harder fight for the US fleets. Though I think missiles is slowly overtaking significance in sea warfare from carriers.
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/p ... 050255.htm
hmmm, could China be a new buyer of the new Russian Stealth fighter?

EDIT:
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/c ... 048645.htm
Happy Linux user!
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

China publishes info about it's stealth fighter
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/p ... 058270.htm
Happy Linux user!
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

Meh Not yet. I really don't think the West is worried about the Chinese military as much as the Press makes out i'm not saying they aren't concerned of course. Yea so what one Aircraft Carrier, It wouldn't make a difference to Taiwan... As the Americans could just reposition a couple of their Carrier Groups there, the Chinese although they would never admit it don't have the balls or the willpower to invade Taiwan.

Maybe in 20 plus years when the Americans have slashed their military budget to hell to pay for their debt then maybe they will flex their growing military might until then...

But still if they did I can't see it been long lasting - unless the west has fully demiliterized and thats Never gonna happen while any of us still breath - because the West is completely politically inept during peace time but in war time, we have a knack for finding a great leader I'm sure between the British, Americans, Germans, French and Canadians etc one of us could pull out at least one great leader that would vitalize the west and knock the Chinese off their pedestal.

In short, Yes but they aren't quite there yet. History has really had only a few "Superpowers"

Roman Empire - Controlled nearly all of Europe and North Africa and they started from a city.
Mongol Empire - Less than 100,000 Mongols (Don't quote me. But i'm sure I read it somewhere) conquered and controlled the largest continual land empire ever.
British Empire - Largest Empire ever. Also we were the first World Police lol (Well the Royal Navy was)
Soviet Union - 4 out of 5 of all Nazi Germany's soldiers died on the Eastern Front. Yes alot of that was weather etc but the Russians - no matter what you think of them now - are one of the main reasons Nazi Germany fell.
The USA - Bankrolled there way into it and did it well. Funded the Allies in the early years and managed a massive military build up in quite a short time. Lend lease program aided the Allies greatly. Massive American numbers allowed the Allies to take back Western Europe much quicker than we would have. I still think the Allies would have won without direct American intervention I.E troops on the ground, but I think Germany and maybe some of France and the Netherlands would have been under Soviet control.

What have the Chinese done? Yes they are buying alot of countries debt at the moment but it doesn't quite have the same effect when there is no major threat I.E bombs falling around you. Yes they have a massive military and if it were possible to apply it all to one battle, I think it would beable to do major damage but there is only so many men you can apply at one point before it becomes a WW1 type shooting fest. Yes they control alot of land but its what the world accepts as China (Maybe with the exception of Tibet but thats 6 of one and half a dozen of the other). Although China is improving its tech, its still way behind the West in General.

Like I said above give them 20+ years then maybe.

**** didn't realise I just wrote that much...
Supporting Nuclear Power in the UK.

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

CptBritish wrote:...[/i]
But, China could put some serious enforcement into it's claim over the spratly islands with one carrier. This would be a step in "becoming a Super Power". I doubt that a combined fleet of Vietnam, Phillipines, Malaysia and maybe even ROC, could gain control of the waters, if China had one operational carrier in the area.
Happy Linux user!
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

Yes it would give them much increased military influence in the area, but as much as I hate bigging the American's up...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... enth_Fleet this is not really far away and would be at the back of any military commanders mind wanting to "Control" the area as this would beable to suppress all the native fleets in the area should sh*t hit the fan.

I'm also not stupid enough to think that the American's would risk war with China over a few relatively insignificant islands (Unless oil is found in significant amounts). But I think the fleet commander would deploy even if it was just in a defensive stance if the Chinese went to invade Taiwan, The Philippines, Vietnam etc

Meh I don't know... we'll see I suppose. I just personally don't think China can really be called a Superpower yet.
Supporting Nuclear Power in the UK.

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.

Return to “Off Topic Comments”