Mexican diaries

Share your stories of conquests and leadership successes.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Zuikaku
General
Human: Yes

Mexican diaries

Post by Zuikaku »

We moved forward as CV Langley was burning, torpedoed by our submarines, enfulging National City in thick black smoke. At the time I did not knew how many unfortunate souls were aboard the burning ship or in oily waters of the port. Didn't have time to think, moving forward was important. Few surprised border guards and police officers surrendered without the fight. We reached and secured first blocks of buildings when air begun to shudder with thundering noise. While we looked ourselves in disbelief trying to figure out what is happening, a guy from other squad passed by carrying ammo box.
"Can you hear it? It's the Navy working on the ships in port!" - he said in delight before disappearing into the next house.
And then aircraft engines were heard. Many of them. and puffy flak clouds dotted the sky as the fleet started to do evasive maneuvres. The Gringos were after the fleet. But Navy and AA guns from Rosarito beat off the attack, surviving aircraft were seen leaving trailing smoke, with their funny looking fixed undercarriadges they looked like drunken storks.
There were lots of running that morning. Running holding submachine gun tightly in my sweaty grip. Hiding behind the wall. Taking a look at the our fleet that filled the San Diego Bay. Trying to recognize mighty Quetzaquatl or Hutzilopochtly before moving to the next wall, nekt window, next street. It seemed like the one of the endless drills we had. And then first shots were fired at us. Walls become our best friends.
"Avanzar, avanzar, it's only National guard!" - shouted our officers.
"Avanzar, avanzar!" - cracked through our platoon radio sets until we were all deafened by machinegun bursts. We killed our first guardsmen by tossing bombs into the small wooden shed. We didn't even see his face. Next wall was hard to reache, since great number of National guards were firing at us from the large warehouse. We were ordered to stop and hold our position until men of the Legia Latina division get pace with us and secure our flanks. Their divisional artillery was heard working on US position somewhere on our right flank as small arms fire was also getting closer and closer.

Eventually we linked with them and tried to move forward. "Avanzar!" - was heard again and moments later 2 of our men were cut down by enemy fire. As we tried to cover them with supressive fire, another men got wounded.
"God damnit, call the Quetzaquatl for support!" - we shouted at our radio officer. And then mortar rounds landed nearby. We hit the ground as our officer argued with non earthly voice over the radio. Pinned down for ages we waited. Finally, distant thunder was heard. Followed by deafening bangs and shower of dirt, stones and building materials. Quetzaquatl has flattened the warehouse.
"Avanzar!" , and we moved forward, not even bothering to shrug off the dirt from our ,helmets, faces. Cautiously, slowly we have reached the rubble and spotted the next building 50 meters away. And so the bloody business begun again. Over and over, and over again. Duck! Cover! Sneak forward! Flank them! Tossing bombs through the windows or calling Quetzaquatl to flatten the place. That first day of the war I have never seen the enemy their faces. Dead or alive.

Sgt. Cruz Salizar , 2nd Fuerza Especialle Aeromovile,
December 27, 1941

My name is Alessandro Romero. they said our family is of Aztec origins. we are indios and have always been proud of that. and now, I am elected to be the president of Mexico. I'm afraid. I'm a coward. Not worthy of my brave ancient ancestors. I never expected that I coul'd win this. My outrage over ruling politicians and parties that led this country into powerty totaly enfulged me. I held speaches. My friends liked them. and then other people liked them .Soon, more and more people were coming just to hear me talking. Words came out of my heart. Out of desperation, sense of futility. And people listened. They joined my party. I thought we never stood a chance. But obviously most of the Mexican people was thinking like me.

Mexico city is a big and ancient place. Frightening for a guy who hardly left Tuxtla Guiterrez for most of his life. They told me there are many powerfull people who wants to see me dead now. Politicians, old rulers of our country. assasination, that is my biggest concern now. I can rely only on men I know. Men I have grown with. They will took care of my security. and they will be rewarded. My cousin Jose Estrelit is perfect for the job. veteran of many bar fights, knife fights, skilled with guns, real pistolero.

So many time is needed to read all of the reports of different aspects of Mexico. for a week I spent days and nights with my ministers familiarizing myself of situation on taxation, economy, science, investments ,military. Situation is bad, but not hopeless. We can see big oportunity in expanding our oil business. But ssacrifices have to be made. I have begged people of Meexico to have faith in me. for a year, one year they'll have to sacrifice themselves, to get our great nation on feet again. All taxes were raised. Spendings were cut drastically on healthcare, education, law enforcement... only infrastructure got more money. Military spendings were cut. Research projects are cancelled. The hungry year is ahead of us. But I've got the vision. And, God, we need ome outside help!

Alessandro Romero, president of Mexico
April ,1936
Please teach AI everything!
Zuikaku
General

Re: Mexican diaries

Post by Zuikaku »

It was a depressing sight. Broken divisional equipment and charred up trucks lied everywhere, scattered across the barren hills towering over the El Cajon. It was not clear when all went wrong. Just yesterday, all this was part of impressive armada known as Aztecos division. We advanced unnoposed. Undisturbed. And at some point a race started. Every battallion wanted to reach and capture Escondido first and outflank the enemy. Huge clouds of dust trailed behind the endless trucks, guns, and tanks. Our S-35 tanks and Sdkfz 231 armoured cars suffered from poor mobility and were left behind. Artillery somehow managed to take the lead, eager to dig in as soon and as forward possible. Our mounted infantry barely lagged behind them. We suffocated in their dust clouds trying not to overheat our trucks towing heavy 88mm flak guns. And all the sudden, order was given to stop and deploy. We heard first bombs falling on our divisional elements ahead of us through the roar of trucks. We deployed, hastily, clumsily, trained our guns and stood helpless. I have never heard so many curses in my life as we heard aircrafts overhead, buzzing away, but unable too see them through the suffocaating yellow dust. We heard AA guns of Legia Latina division working on them, but we were blinded. Lucky bastards!

Our artillery and forward elements were hit very hard. Gringo aircrafts just kept on coming. dust settled a bit so we finally started to fight back. at first innacourate, but we were learning fast. We were ordered to concentrate on high flying four engined bombers. Many went down, but the situation worsened. Our infantry and decimated artillery with engineers, started to fall back under the pressure of Gringos tanks ,artillery and infantry. Orders came to train our barrels down and cover the retreat. It was terrifying to watch disorganised, broken and demoralized troops fleeing back ,spreading panic. It filled our hearts with terror. Our guns kept on firing despite this, crushing small tanks. And then, Gringos just stopped. Our tanks have finally arrived and attacked Gringos from the east.

Today it is very boring day. Heavy fightings can be heard from the diraction of National City and San Diego. We entertain ourselves by scavaging broken equipment. Some aircrafts also went down nearby. The main anchor of front held by Aztecos Division is now held by our battery and 2 tank battallions. The rest of the division is behind us, trying to reorganise. the best thing that happened to us today is improvised stove from B-17s engine cowling. Hot soup can make us forget about all this mess, at least for a moment.

Pvt. Diego Mendoza, Aztecos Division 1st AA Bn
December 28, 1941

All of the senir officers protested over that insane order, but nobody listened to us. We need to push hard with everything we have, these were the orders. And so, we were forced to send our ill trained and equipped infantry over the Rio Grande bridge to attack El Paso. As soon as they moved across, US armoured cars showed up and cut the men down. As more men poured in to replace the fallen, barrage of intense enemy artillery and mortar fire exploded all over them. Our men were torn apart, thrown into the air and finally the whole slaughterhouse was obscured by smoke, geysers of water and dust. Our field 75mm artillery tried to intervene, but was promptly smashed by heavy US artillery. Attack was called off, but it was too late. Only handfull of survivors, injured and tattered appeared from the bridge. 10 battallions were completely decimated. And soon ,US infantry hidden behind armoured cars that plowed through torn mexican corpses, started moving across the bridge. Chihuahua is our only hope now. Air force can cover us there and there are rumors of reinforcements. We started the long retreat, thirsty, walking, and hoping that doomed garrison of Ciudad Juarez can buy us enough time.

Colonel Adolfo Salinas, 60th Inf Bn
December 28, 1941

While I was delighted that our cooperation with most Latin American countries improved gradually over the last month, there were some concerns that bothered me. Most of our neighbours were uninterested to cooperate with us. Only hondurs , Costa Rica and Panama were cooperative. But these are small countries. We will really profit from improved relations with Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Venezuela.
US embassy is reluctant to improve cooperation with us over our alledged influence on free economy. So I have decided to turn to Europe instead. And the France was the first to show interest.

As the result of first big oil sales profits, our government has decided to gradually expand our oil production. The goal is to achieve daily production of at least 500000 barrels. Today I have personally inspected works on new oil wells near Comalcalco. And the next big shipment of french drilling equipment and building material is expected in a few day. Europe seems to be starved for oil. We can get a really great bargains there.

June ,1936
Zuikaku
General

Re: Mexican diaries

Post by Zuikaku »

They assembled us hastily, formed our division from elements that never cooperated before, forced us to march hastily to the border and then threw us into the fight immediately. Tired, disoriented, cofused. Our objectives: Davis-Montham AFB and Tucson city. As trucks broke the border fence, our Desperado division divided into 2 columns - each with task to take one of the lightly defended objectives (as our intelligence informed us). My unit was responsible of taking the airbase. An terrifying big installation lying in the flat desert. However, we coul'd not see any airplanes on the runway. With a little luck, it might be guarded only with a few men.

As another attack failed miserably, I founf myself trying to unjam my Arisaka rifle in one of shell craters by end of the runway. I dropped the rifle after injuring my hand on the breach jammed with dirt. The rest of my squad was scattered in nearby craters. After I bandaged my hand I just lied there listening to my men talking. The sun was burning my skin, there was no shade here. I have envied damn Americans sheltered behind thick walls (and shade) of airport buildings.
"So, what are we going to do now?" - I asked
"Well, I suppose we'll wait for the next barrage and then we'll move on forward. Maybe our tanks will be more successfull in providing us cover this time." - our sargeant replied and laughed, crazed, deranged from the sun and death.
My throat tightened. I don't even know how to use the rifle properly. Wish I coul'd just see my mother again.

After 3 days of being stalemated at the airfield, we were ordered to withdraw. Americans have brought in reinforcements. Armour and infantry. And it was rumored our attack on Tucson failed as well. Abandoning position proved to be extremely difficult since enemy tanks showed up supported by inantry and halftracks. Unable to move, we crawled in hope to reach our rear, our trucks. It was hopeless. we were pinned down. I have lost all of my weapons. the others did not have any ammo left. all we could do was to spit, curse... and pray. The bullets buzzed above my head and i have wondered how much time it will pass before one hit me. Finally, our Chi-Ha tanks intervened and attracted the attention of Americans. Few of them raced toward us and shielded us with their hulls, shepherding us away to the safety.

Heroica Nogales. that was our new defensive line. we are entrenching city and outskirts for the whole day. There are no americans in sight. Thank god, maybe the war is over. And there are lots of shade here. I like the place.

pvt. Ronaldo Guttierrez, Desperado Division ,3rd Inf Bn
December 28, 1941

They have just coming at us and we just kept hitting and hitting them again! Tanks, halftracks, infantry. Their hulls to weak to withstand our 76mm AT gun rounds but enough numerous to make us worried. I wonderd what woul'd happen when our ammo runs out, but so far our supply trucks were able to deliver us shells at the time. It has been 3 days since we have taken Yuma and Yuca without the fight and we have been under attack for 48 hours now. My unit have witnessed enemy soldiers dying in the hundreds of horrific ways. Smashed inside the armour. Burned to the death. machinegunned. Burned and machinegunned. Ripped apart by artillery. Hit by snipers. It was difficult to watch people die. But after the first two attacks it became normal. There were just no time to show compassion.

Today the enemy tried to wedge itself between us and Maya division holding Mexicali. Hundred of tanks rolled down the right bank of Colorado river. Our 8th inf Bn managed to hold the bridge and we were redeployed to help them. When we arrived tanks have already swarmed their forward positions. Few of our trucks got hit before they managed to deploy the guns. We managed to deploy our gun behind the range of small guns of enemy tanks and started to fire at them. However, we were unable to hold them. Our armour was expected, but it was delayed due to another enemy attack on our east wing. Finally arround 5 PM Stukas have arrived over the battlefield and saved our infantry from destruction. As they dived with their sirens whistling, enemy tanks were obscured by explosions. The ground shuddered. When the dust settled and stukas left the enemy tanks were no more.

Sgt. Pepe Montego, Saguaro Division AT Bn
December 28, 1941

December 28 1941- Jan 3 1942
It is complete Insanity to use our fleet as floating artillery and anti aircraft battery. And although we are greatly contributing in repelling air attacks and providing fire support in San Diego area, this shoul'd not be the function of the fleet. Especially since US fleet is still mostly intact. However, while the whereabouts of US fleet is unknown, our Pacific fleet position is well known. I'm greatly concerned by this situation and have a bad feeling we are just lying here waiting to be executed.

I have failed co convince our political and military leadership to move the fleet out of San Diego bay. They have insisted the fleet needs to support troops along the California coast. I presume the main reasoning behind that is the string of military disasters that have struck the army from Texas to El Paso and Tucson. They just need the success somewhere. And they feel very confident that US fleet is being too busy with IJN, so their main assets are in central Pacific and Asia. I think that is a very bold gamble.

For a days we have been striking US artillery and anti aircraft positions. We are good at this job. However, that reminds me of ancient strategy where fleets were crawling along the coast with troops. Strategy that just needs to be punished in modern times. and today the warning came. US fighters and bombers conducted another attack on the fleet and managed to damage destroyer Diego. It was set alite, but fires were estinguished and I decided to keep damaged ship in formation.

Our submarine Eurydice reported to have torpedoed an US frigate. I walked along the bridge wings long after that thinking about US submarines. There were not any in sight yet. It is only matter of time when some of them will slamm torpedoes into the hull of my admiral ship - the battlecruiser Quetzaquatl or her sistership Hutzilopochtly.

Jan 4, 1942

At night few of US destroyers tried to commence torpedo attack on our fleet in san Diego bay. Our destroyer screen fended them off, sinking 4 of them and damaging another 2. This morning, our submarines reported elements of enemy fleet near Los angeles. Many destroyers and transports were sighted. I have ordered fleet to prepare for action. We are engaging!

Jan 4-5, 1942
As dusk settled, our fleet reached area of Los Angeles. Our submarine screen torpedoed a destroyer in front of Newport Beach and transports at Long beach. Not long after that destroyers signalled the enemy fleet aproaching from the west. Silhouettes of enemy ships were perfectly visible on the bright background, while our fleet was covered by dark and shape of the coast. Main gun turrets were trained toward the enemy.
"Enemy consisting of 2 light cruisers and 10 destroyers"
"Destroyers asking for permission to engage, what should we told them, admiral?"
"Hold the fire, track the enemy!" Destroyers to commence long lance torpedo attacks only! Target the cruisers!"
"Speed to 25 kts, commence the 10 degree starboard turn!"
The bridge erupted with activity. I hoped to remain unnoticed as long as possible to give the gunners best possible fire solutions. Finally, water erupted along the hull of one of the US cruisers and it become enfulged in bright fire. Torpedo hit!
"All ships, commence the fire!"
And then the horizon erupted and the whole bridge became deafened when our main batteries fired. US fleet, obviously taken by surprise did not return fire for a good 2 minutes. By that time most of their ships were already straddled. They were doomed. In a matter of minutes our battlecruisers and cruisers set second light cruiser on fire. And than they begin working on destroyers obscuring them by water geysers. By the 2AM most of enemy ships were sunk or sinking. None of them escaped. Our ammo is expended. Still no US battleships in sight. We are retiring.

admiral Felipe Ortiz

Oil business is just getting better and better. European powers are competing to get our oil. The old continent is really starved for it. Last week Germans offered us excellend price for the oil. Also, the trade agreement is signed with USSR. They are willing to sell us cheap industrial goods and are offering many other great trade oportunities. there were also inquiries from Japanese embassy regarding oil trade. They are very interested in oil too.

As the result of excellent oil trades i have decided to keep my promises and lower the taxes to somewhat make life of my citizens easier.
But although we are opening many jobs on our new oilfields, lots of my people still decide to emmigrate to USA. Hope I'll manage to revert this.

On an closed government session we have decided to increase our agricultural production. Doing this is relatively cheap and we have noticed that there is a worldwide demand for these goods. We plan to establish fruit plantations in south of the country and cattle farms in the northerna areas. Also, the government will encouradge production of specific national goods that have high export potential such as tequilla.

More and more building materials are being stolen from our construction yards. My people are still poor and on the brink of survival. my minister has proposed me to drastically sanction the ones caught doing these thefts. I have refused this. We'll try to improve situation in the country and help these poor people with carrot and not stick.

November ,1936

Return to “After Action Reports”