A kinder, lazier 1936 Germany

Share your stories of conquests and leadership successes.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

SteamSupreme
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

Post by SteamSupreme »

SR2020 must have been sitting in my STEAM library, for years. Tried it out, liked it, made several DEFAULT.UNIT edits designed at heading off huge numbers of late game unit production(esp by the AI) , and got ULTIMATE in the June 2018 sale

I'm trying to figure out why my world leaders are not showing up in my re-cached campaign game where I changed ground and air units to be 5x more expensive (BTW the same happens even if nothing is changed, only recached). Reason I bring it up is because I'm wondering if the game is dropping the world leaders, it might not be pulling some other files and consequently may not be giving an accurate representation of the SR1936 campaign with 5x unit cost. The increased unit cost is present in the game, so it gets the DEFAULT.UNIT changes just fine, though.

The reason for these 5x cost edits(crew, money, goods, fuel, Ur left alone) as above, all things being equal, (except for ships) 2000 units in a fully developed country will have the same effect as 10,000 since every other nation is operating under the same handicap.

The idea its easier to keep track of 2000 rather than 10,000 units.

I let loose the 5xMod on Germany 1936, twice and events first unfolded as intended, but as I built my 5th plane, Italy attacked France in 1938. To my surprise, they took the first French town on their border and kept on advancing. I was amused to watch them take one Maginot line fort after another from south to north. They were unstoppable.

Not long thereafter, Italy controlled all of France. The British coast was awash in Italian Merchant Marines. FYI, the Merchant Marine is a good way of disposing of the issue of boarding ships, transporting, then unboarding, as the AI and even player can get really hung up on that process.

Since France was now controlled by Italy, I went about my real world business and let the game run unattended, setting AI ministers to look after infrastructure trade and so forth. Land tech was the focus of research. I allowed the autobuild of units as this was more of an experiment more than anything to see how many units each side might construct with the 5x cost in place.

After several hours, I looked in on the nation. It was the 1950s and the game said something about successfully defending from the Soviet Union and to move against the west or something to that effect. The borders did not seem to change any. Poland was now controlled by the USSR. I checked to see what I kind of army I had and there was around 1400 total units and it was an assortment of biplane and pz1 junk from 1936 all the way to somewhat more modern PzIVs. No Tigers or Panthers? I attributed this to the fact I had not enslaved half the world and therefore simply lacked the resources to research at a faster pace.

I was looking for the right click contextual selection for "reserves" to see what was actually stored away in a town barracks. That option was GONE. I had to otherwise sift through the interface to access what city had what reserve. I missed that Right click reserve option from SR2020.

I noticed I was at war with the Soviet Union, though no hostilities were currently underway. Taking control, I sent my idle armies and reserves to work straightening out the jagged eastern border Kursk style. Though the Soviets stubbornly defended their garrisons, they fell to my superior numbers and concentrated firepower. Muh-ha-ha.
It did not seem like the Soviet was something I needed to worry about. After taking a few towns in former Poland, I garrisoned heavily in the East and I let the AI take control.

Some hours later, I checked the status and what looked like top-of-the line Soviet tanks drew a crescent half-moon around Berlin. Explosions everywhere and they just kept coming.

After running some errands, I returned to GAMEOVER.

------

Starting another 1936 game, all set everything up as before in Germany with ministers keeping track of most things. I must say, one can play any kind of game they want, uber-control or absent parent, the AI manages competently as a caretaker if serious invasions are not going on.

The game does a good job of prodding one along if they want to follow, for example Germany's path of conquest. , I got some land for stationing a number of troops somewhere and signed the Pact of Steel. Shortly thereafter, Italy and France are at war and this time I want in by helping Italy, as I had a mutual defense pact and wanted to see how it went. I sent over a bunch of PzI's, artillery and assorted infantry. This time Italy was CRUSHED like a bug on a windshield. France took all by 1938. The troops I sent became Merchant Marine (I did not declare war only sent the troops) floating idly in the Mediterranean . With France in uncontested control of Italy, I measured my chances as nil to zero and stayed on the east side of the Maginot.

I let my Ai ministers run things and again disappeared for hours at a time. The game reminded me to attack France, suggesting the best way was through the Low Countries and later to stations some subs near Scotland as well as to bomb Britain. I declined, especially since as France might be quite strong with conquested Italian chutzpa. Besides the Low Countries kind of liked me.

The game unfolded overnight. It was 1963 when I next visited and that to adjust consumer and industrial goods addressing shortfalls. Germany seemed to be doing alright. The research showed they were working on a Panther II, the latest plane in the inventory was an HE-177. Here is a gripe for while the Ju88's seemed to have acceptable models, the He111 were using a Mosquito model. However a He111 model was already present (used for the He177, acceptable in my eyes, as in many ways both were similar, but ok)

Again I noticed I was at war with the Soviet Union, but this time, Poland was still sovereign as well as the other nearby nations. The Soviets did not invade them, perhaps they were bogged down in their war with Japan. I offered peace and the Soviets LIKED me, (3 green bars). I began buying their petroleum hand over fist since they were selling it for less than it was worth and I learned how to use auto-accept deal feature. Germany did not seem to have any issue with the economy and with the Russians content to sell oil, I was content to sell off the stock of He51 biplanes and other assorted equipment from 1937 to Austria and Bulgaria and even Britain who was "hostile."

The research tree is almost maxed out. The unit count is around 2000. This game is about over with a good future for Germany at least.
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Re: A kinder, lazier 1936 Germany

Post by way2co0l »

Sounds like some good fun! I think the devs replied about your image issue as a file that wasn't pushed properly, so I imagine they'll have that resolved in future versions. Looking forward to seeing more. :D
SteamSupreme
Lieutenant

Re: A kinder, lazier 1936 Germany

Post by SteamSupreme »

way2co0l wrote: Jun 26 2018 Sounds like some good fun! I think the devs replied about your image issue as a file that wasn't pushed properly, so I imagine they'll have that resolved in future versions. Looking forward to seeing more. :D
Thank you. Turns out, as I just discovered, the state leaders appear just fine if I go play in the SANDBOX

Return to “After Action Reports”