Playing Supreme Ruler Ultimate Multiplayer Games

This forum has been archived. Please use the new multiplayer forum. If you need to retrieve a thread from here, contact BattleGoat.

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Playing Supreme Ruler Ultimate Multiplayer Games

Post by Balthagor »

While there are no dedicated servers for online internet play, there are a number of options for multiplayer games;

1. Local Network

These are games where all players are in the same location with a physical or wireless connection.

Host;
- Launch game
- Multiplayer
- Select "Host Game"
- Wait for players to join
- Assign regions, choose settings
- Launch game when all players marked "ready"

Client;
- Launch game
- Multiplayer
- Select game in Available Games list and select "Join"
- Select "ready" when you are ready, wait for host to launch

2. Direct Internet Connection

If a player wishes to host and knows player(s) who wish to join.

Host;
- Provide all players with your IP address
- Launch game
- Multiplayer
- Select "Host Game"
- Wait for players to join
- Assign regions, choose settings
- Launch game when all players marked "ready"

Client;
- Launch game
- Multiplayer
- Select "View Internet Games"
- Enter the IP address for the host
- Select game in Available Games list and select "Join"
- Select "ready" when you are ready, wait for host to launch

3. Hamachi Internet Lan

This system has been suggested for supporting LAN multiplayer games over the internet. Instructions for connecting to Hamachi can be found in a dedicated thread;

Hamachi Multiplayer Games

The instructions were created for SR2020 but have not changed for SR-1936

4. GameRanger Matchmaking

Support was added to the GameRanger system for playing Supreme Ruler Ultimate. Instructions for connecting to GameRagner can be found in a dedicated thread;

GameRanger Multiplayer Games

The instructions were created for SR2020 but have not changed for SRU
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
GreenGoblin
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Playing Supreme Ruler Ultimate Multiplayer Games

Post by GreenGoblin »

Steam multiplayer still in the pipeline?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I haven't been in the office in a while so haven't even got rumors.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Gameranger works great and it is based on open rooms which you can join, so I'd advice everyone to go there if you are looking for people to play SR online with. Already had a few fun games there.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

There has been some investigation into using Steam multiplayer and matchmaking. One reason that this hasn't had a high profile is that most games are single player mode, and multiplayer is small segment of time played.

The big issue, however, is that a switch to Steam Multiplayer would need to be "complete". It does not look like it would be possible to support multiple systems (the current DirectPlay and the new Steam MP) at the same time. So switching to Steam MP would mean that we would no longer be multiplayer playable on Gameranger, Hamachi, or non-steam launched games.

On the other hand, we'd gain Steam matchmaking, the larger steam user base (versus gameranger), and possibly improved connectivity.

Thoughts?

-- George / BattleGoat.

(Note: This message was also cross-posted to the Steam Forums)
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

George Geczy wrote:There has been some investigation into using Steam multiplayer and matchmaking. One reason that this hasn't had a high profile is that most games are single player mode, and multiplayer is small segment of time played.

The big issue, however, is that a switch to Steam Multiplayer would need to be "complete". It does not look like it would be possible to support multiple systems (the current DirectPlay and the new Steam MP) at the same time. So switching to Steam MP would mean that we would no longer be multiplayer playable on Gameranger, Hamachi, or non-steam launched games.

On the other hand, we'd gain Steam matchmaking, the larger steam user base (versus gameranger), and possibly improved connectivity.

Thoughts?

-- George / BattleGoat.

(Note: This message was also cross-posted to the Steam Forums)
Considering Steam is required for the game I personally don't see an issue with using Steams multiplayer. IF there were NON steam versions of the game available then this would be a different conversation. But as it is now I only see a benefit to using steams matchmaking.

As a matter of fact long ago when we had the discussion on steam/no steam I stated that if you WERE going to use it.. at least use the BEST options it makes available to you.. that includes the matchmaking. While I still have my dislikes about steam I'll say again.. it has a wide API available for developers and if you ARE going to use it.. use the BEST of what it makes available.

And to be honest.. I assumed when you decided that Steam would be required that steam multiplayer was a given...

Edit: Also you might want to look into how using steam multiplayer would effect modded games, Some of the mods are rather popular.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Gameranger works great so I don't really care :) Of course, perhaps it'd be better if all players of SR would use one platform to play together. Although I really hate Steam and I wouldn't even have it installed if not for SR series... I've even considered pirating the game and donating the money to BG that it would have cost me to buy it :D but there were no newest versions on torrent sites. But I'm going [_]OT sorry
GreenGoblin
Brigadier Gen.

Post by GreenGoblin »

Please implement Steam multiplayer! GameRanger and Hamachi etc. are terrible. Also half the people using those platforms are pirates...
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

How are they terrible?
Yes, I saw some pirates but they soon realized they couldn't play and didn't bother again.
ricey
Sergeant

Post by ricey »

Whenever i try playing online with a friend we end up having Sync issues all the time, it starts off small then spirals out of control, in some cases he has taken over certain country's, where to me he has lost his army and is losing.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

ricey wrote:Whenever i try playing online with a friend we end up having Sync issues all the time, it starts off small then spirals out of control, in some cases he has taken over certain country's, where to me he has lost his army and is losing.
Never had similar problems. Sounds like they are not related to hamachi/gameranger though.
ricey
Sergeant

Post by ricey »

Kristijonas wrote:
ricey wrote:Whenever i try playing online with a friend we end up having Sync issues all the time, it starts off small then spirals out of control, in some cases he has taken over certain country's, where to me he has lost his army and is losing.
Never had similar problems. Sounds like they are not related to hamachi/gameranger though.

I have tried using both Hamachi/Gameranger, I think the issue may be that my PC is Superior to my friends and if the game is run at a fast speed I believe it causes the sync issues.
Jack16
Captain

Post by Jack16 »

Whenever I have tried playing online with my friend before, I also always ended up having sync issues like this. They escalated into us both seeing "ghost" wars.
kettu
Sergeant

Post by kettu »

Like GreenGoblin said please implement Steam multiplayer!
zero007
Warrant Officer

Post by zero007 »

Im hoping that BG will implement Steam multiplayer and matchmaking in this game. At the moment majority of my friends wont bother playing this game due to router issues. People are just too lazy or unskilled to modifie their routers to use direct ip. Hamachi and similar programs have their own issues... Atleast BG should set up Polls to see what people want. I would vote Yes implement Steam multiplayer and matchmaking.

Return to “SRU Multiplayer Games”