Land Transport

Have a feature request for SRGW? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

Draken
General
Human: Yes

Land Transport

Post by Draken »

Considering that the vast majority of the land units in the map will be leg infantry, is there any plans to implement a land transport command similar the sea transport?
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"
-
Si vis pacem, para bellum
-
It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere.
Voltaire
SGTscuba
General

Re: Land Transport

Post by SGTscuba »

Draken wrote:Considering that the vast majority of the land units in the map will be leg infantry, is there any plans to implement a land transport command similar the sea transport?
This is actually a good idea for the time. And don't forget the London buses!
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Not specifically, but rail transport is being considered. Nothing I can share yet.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Post by way2co0l »

Personally, I can see advantages for basic land transport, but I won't be hurt not to see it. Rail transport though is something I'd very much like to see. Even if it's as simple as adjust the speed modifier for moving over a hex with rail in it. It's obviously an imperfect solution, but it's one I'd be happy with. At least, as long as AI pathfinding chooses that faster route when trying to traverse the span of the Russian empire lets say. If there's a rail line to get from west to east, I want them using it. I'd be receptive to other options as well, but this feels like the simplest acceptable solution to me.
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Any update on this? I would love to have it still.
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Only that there will be some kind of rail transport. Details not released yet.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

After playing the game for a few days now, I can say that I actually like the "tempo" that using leg infantry forces into the game. It made us to be careful with timing the deployments.

Not sure if it helps but how I see the rail transport working is something like this:
Upon the "rail transport" command is given to a unit (using normal "move" commands mechanics) and the destination is selected, then the unit(s) will proceed to the closest town/railroad node to the unit's current location.

Once, the unit arrives to that initial "railroad node", it will "embark" and move to a destination "railroad node" (closest town to the "rail transport" command destination" using the railroads. Of course, both, the initial and destination nodes must be on the same railroad "network". In other words, in order for this work, there has to be at least one path between both nodes...

Of course, while the unit is embarked, it cannot fight. If attacked while in this "embarked" mode they would disembark and defend themselves but they should suffer some sort of penalty for a short while.

Now, if for some reason, the destination node becomes unavailable (capture by the enemy, destroyed bridge in the path, etc), then the unit will debark in the new closest node to the command destination.

Now, George, go and dust off those Graph theory books... :D

AH! before I forget: for bonus points, make an unit moving to a rally point use the "rail transport" command if possible !!!
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"
-
-
It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere.
Voltaire
geminif4ucorsair
General

Post by geminif4ucorsair »

Balthagor wrote:Not specifically, but rail transport is being considered. Nothing I can share yet.
There are lots of historical reasons to advance and implement a simple system for Infantry, Cavalry, Engineers to be able to "board trains"......

* Implement: Unit must board at a city or other population area that has a Railroad;
* limit of 1 x battalion per day loading, at any given location
* like any other kind of unit, destination can be determined by Player, with AI choosing the "best route" (depending on Player Option settings).

* Each country would have a limit on the total number of boardings possible, maybe based on total RR milage built within the country.

* Don't believe providing a count of RR rolling stock in each country would be a suitable criteria but its intriguing. One reason: In new Soviet Union after the Civil War, there were 10,000 rolling stock sidelines for lack of repairs, breakdowns, etc., out of a total of 100,000 or less, within the whole of USSR. Would seem impossible AI could come up with decent numbers, once a country goes to war.
Jason z.
Sergeant

Post by Jason z. »

Altho very slow in great war supply trucks can carry a few infantry. In ultimate i sometimes use supply trucks to transport infantry if i need to get them somewhere faster then they can walk
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Post by evildari »

Jason z. wrote:Altho very slow in great war supply trucks can carry a few infantry. In ultimate i sometimes use supply trucks to transport infantry if i need to get them somewhere faster then they can walk
either that or i would mod a transport chopper to use it wheels only :lol:
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

in my ideal vision trains would be transport units that can only travel on hexes with rails. Making them vulnerable to destruction. Downside would be unit count bloat..and the AIs less than stellar track record with using transport units... [_]O
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

Yes, im totally not in favor of bringing in features that ai cant cope with. They should be able to use the rail tracks tho, just same speed as road. I dont understand why this should be made hard, just to make it easier for the player. Russian AI cant even move their troops to borders before they declare war, instead army has to come from the other side of the world as soon enemy capture a land piece..
Gameplay 1st
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

While moving units AI shoul'd prefer rails.
Rail hexes are allways in supply, as long as rail line is uninterrupted (can be traced to the city).
Rails do not need boardin (simplification), but every unit on the rail have speed of e.g. 60km/h
Please teach AI everything!
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I tend to agree that adding features that the AI cannot use is not exactly ideal. Simulating railways simply by giving units a set speed while moving on rails would be entirely acceptable to me. That the AI appears to pick the fastest path it would make it more likely to go along railway tracks which as said have supplies reducing the chance of all of the Russian and PRC army getting stuck somewhere.

That said having units that can be bound to rails like a transport train would be could give us some possibilities such as having armoured trains, railway cannons and for later times things like Peacekeeper garrisons. I suspect the AI might at least be able to use the first two to some degree.

I really do wish we had more modding options for the AI though as that might help alleviate the problem of features the AI cannot use.

Return to “Suggestions - SRGW”