Grand Duchy of Finland

Have a feature request for SRGW? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

Hullu Hevonen
General

Grand Duchy of Finland

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Finland was at this time an autonomus part of Russia, essentially a Vassal. Finland had more independence than the soviet republics later in the century. There was a custom currency, senate, legal system inherited from 1809 Sweden but still the law of the land. Finland even had it's own army unitl 1905, when the last military unit was disbanded, this army fought in the Crimean war. I propose Finland is made a vassal in-game to Russia.

The Economy
The economy was centered around the logging/forest industry (Nokia, the company, got it's start here), while the industry was small by european standards, though significant by Finnish standards. Though the economy was growing rapidly unitl 1916. For example, industril workforce grew from 3,500 in 1820 to 55,000 in 1890, after which the number almost tripled in 23 years to 150,000 in 1913. While the city workforce with their families was over 600,000 in 1910. This in contrast to 3,269,401 population in 1914, most of the people where still living as poor peasants in rural areas. Timber production at 3,7 million square meters per year between 1909–1913. The industry in the cities where often related to producing metal based products or to accomondate the timber industry. While the timber where gathered inland, then transported via the rivers to the cities. Important cities for the timber industry was in Kuusankoski, Jääski, Ruokolahti, Tampere and town around it like, Nokia, Poriin ja Varkaus was also important. The Metal industry where located in Helsinki, Lahti, Oulu, Turku, Viipuri. Paper products constituted alone 148,000t during 1910-1913.

Source:
https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suomen_su ... en_kehitys (in Finnish)(Not that many English sources on the subject)
http://pxnet2.stat.fi/PXWeb/pxweb/fi/St ... 6d0b140a21 (in Finnish)(Pick year in first colum and in second colum "Väkiluku" for year specific population data)

Administration
Finland had it's own laws, bureaucracy, education system, senate, religious freedom etc. Though at the end of the day the Russian Tsar had the same powers essentially that the Swedish monarch had had, basically he was a dictator. Though the Finnish legal system, nobility, culture etc. where generally respected and it was allowed and army of 5600 men. Exept for 1881 to 1917 when Russia gradually started to try and russify the country, though not outright abolishing the autonomy or Duchy. There was considerable resistance to this and some measures where rolled back a few times during the period, due to this civil resistance. This was due to the Finns having developed a strong finnish identity at this point. Ironically Russia had originlly kick started the process of developing a unique Finnish identity separate from the former Swedish one, this was to counter act Swedens influence in Finland, in 1809 the Finns considered themselves Swedes basically, since it had been so for over 600 years. Every time Finland had been occupied, Finns would revolt and harras Russian supply lines. So to prevent this in a possible future war with Sweden, Russia wanted the Finns to develop their own thing, and thus also respected the pre existing legal system etc.

Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Duc ... sification
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: Grand Duchy of Finland

Post by Balthagor »

I've searched out a very large number of maps and not one showed Finland as an independent nation. Currently I still lean towards annexed, but could consider colony. Things like this can also be updated post release without much trouble as we see what plays best.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Hullu Hevonen
General

Re: Grand Duchy of Finland

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Balthagor wrote:I've searched out a very large number of maps and not one showed Finland as an independent nation. Currently I still lean towards annexed, but could consider colony. Things like this can also be updated post release without much trouble as we see what plays best.
Yes, I'm proposing colony status, not independence since independence came in 1917. Congress of Poland had a similar status until 1867, which ended because Poland rebelled against Russia. The relationship was in a sence similar to a dual monarcy, which both share the same monarch, though in this case, the monarch was an absolute monarch, both in Russia and Finland, legally speaking. But in practice it was more a vassal, due to the monarch (through his proxy the general-governer), appointing the finnish prime minister. Similar to how later vassal states worked. Due to this it is counted a part of Russia on maps, Russia was the undisputed stronger partner.

Edit:
The map that I linked in the borders thread show Finland part of Russia, but has en internal border separating it from the rest of Russia, due to this fact.
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods

Return to “Suggestions - SRGW”