Seaplane carriers and tenders

Have a feature request for SRGW? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

Jack8193
Sergeant
Human: Yes

Seaplane carriers and tenders

Post by Jack8193 »

RN Giuseppe Miraglia

List of seaplane carriers:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... by_country
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Re: Seaplane carriers and tenders

Post by Balthagor »

It's unclear still how we'll deal with these. As their carrier capacity is less than an actual carrier, we would normally increase stats for ships like these. As there were few of these in service at the start of the war, that may be something we look at post release.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

I was wondering if this would crop up. Maybe just give them a single squadron strength like you did with some of the in the 36 scenario.

I was tempted to say just give them a really good spotting distance like you did with ships like the (modern) Andrea Dorea. But I would like to use them for light attack as well perhaps / fleet defence. If you go for high spotting distance Ig should cover land as well since its spotting from above.
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Jack8193
Sergeant

Post by Jack8193 »

SGTscuba wrote:I was wondering if this would crop up. Maybe just give them a single squadron strength like you did with some of the in the 36 scenario.

I was tempted to say just give them a really good spotting distance like you did with ships like the (modern) Andrea Dorea. But I would like to use them for light attack as well perhaps / fleet defence. If you go for high spotting distance Ig should cover land as well since its spotting from above.
Example: italian Giuseppe Miraglia could carry some 17 seaplanes (originally Macchi M.18, later IMAM Ro.43), and was equipped with two catapults. Seaplanes could be retrieved by means of large doors and cranes at the sides of the hangar.

french Commandant Teste: during trials in 1937, it took three hours to embark or disembark a group of 16 aircraft, 17 minutes to embark a single Gourdou-Leseurre GL-812 reconnaissance floatplane, and seven minutes to launch a section of four floatplanes by catapult

spanish seaplane carrier Dédalo: could carry 2 captive observation balloons of 1,200 m³ volume, 2 Italian-built dirigibles of 1,500 m³ volume, and up to 20 seaplanes of various types over the years, including Felixstowe F.3, Savoia S.16 and S.16 bis, Macchi M.18 and Supermarine Scarab.

japanese aircraft carrier Chitose: could carry 24 × floatplanes and was equipped with 4 catapuilts

geminif4ucorsair
General

Re: Seaplane carriers and tenders - the Half-Squadron Option

Post by geminif4ucorsair »

Balthagor wrote:It's unclear still how we'll deal with these. As their carrier capacity is less than an actual carrier, we would normally increase stats for ships like these. As there were few of these in service at the start of the war, that may be something we look at post release.
* * They certainly emerge during the war in fair numbers.......

* * Why can BG not consider the inventory of seaplanes that can be accommodated [not just serviced] when transporting them, and therefore use a 1/2-squadron rating for most of the Seaplane Carriers when a ship only transports somewhere in the half-dozen or up to ten seaplanes?

Makes more sense than to leave them out of the game initially.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

1/2 squadron is now how aircraft carriers are measured. It's based on "squadron capacity" regardless of size.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Nice, so we get seaplane carriers and seaplanes now?
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

No changes on this, just explaining the limitations. The won't be included at release.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Only superior IJN used seaplane carriers (to some limited extent) as "seaplane carriers". They were mostly used as port assets to help handling and repair of seaplanes in (small) ports and places lacking either ground crews or infrastructure or to just help handling seaplanes in other ports.
Please teach AI everything!

Return to “Suggestions - SRGW”