Money negative while surplus

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

evildari
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

Re: Money negative while surplus

Post by evildari »

mrgenie wrote: Jul 28 2018 10+10+10+10 = 40 wouldn't be 1 calculation.. on a CPU.

Just A + B if I remember correct are 3 operations in assembler. mov, mov and add in assembler..
that's 3 operations..
So the above example would be 12 operations
so for 200 countries that would be 2400 operations just for summarize 4 values.
but operation != calculation
that's why i used the term calculation -
lets make an example that simple addition of already known values like
income , expensese, trades,

for every one of these i would use even 10 operations - even though i think one mov would be enough
so we have 30 operations to get a new treasury value
multiplies that with the amount of regions ill use a max value of 200 - usually throughout a game the number tends to get lower
and lets do it even 1440 times every day (though i would even like just one right calculation, not 1440 wrong per day)
=30x200x1440
=8640000 operations - well that whopping number would take an amiga500 several seconds..for a very non-optimized way to handle this
(in case what can be done with optimized programming search youtube for "64k demo" and check those old demos out)

comparing that to the very complex stealth / sight calculation which has IMO not even a near important strategic impact like the treasury.
i would rather have a more simple LOS calculation, to get a correct treasury calculation.
in my in-game example i could by legions of recon units and plaster the world with radar stations for the unaccounted lost $.

Its almost depressing that one have to defend and beg for a mathematically correct calculation of the most important enabling stat in a strategic game.
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)
mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by mrgenie »

Yes evildari, I agree totally with you on this one that the math must be correct at least what's shown to the user adds up some way.
I just don't agree on the "easy" part or "few calculations" I know what BG team has done to this game is without comparison.
There's no game out there, with over a million of tiles, real time, tens of thousands of units running around.. and then this performance..

it's a miracle what the BG team has achieved. And that's not easy or few calculations.

But yes, I totally agree the numbers must add up.

My point is: if I make visible to the user a surplus of 50 Million and 2 more plus of 11 and 6 Million ( they are already rounded is my best guess to be visible to the user)
so adding these values together, just can't become negative.
the only way that's possible..
is doing different calculations for the total change each day and the numbers shown to the user.

But that would be a design mistake in my opinion. Because you have to show the user the real values.

It doesn't matter much if it's a design mistake.. a rounding issue.. a logical mistake.. a math error..
any of these 4 doesn't matter much.

what matters, is that the GUI output to the user should add up. People can only make right decisions if they see the ACTUAL RESULT of these decisions.

And my best bet is: if I already rounded the values for the income, expenses, trade and show these to the user..
why not using these already calculated values to simply sum them up to the final result I see in the top treasury?
[UI-MOD] All-In-One viewtopic.php?f=91&t=31906
mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by mrgenie »

Some more on this topic.

When i release the areas with no supplies.

The error seems to be gone

When I conquer them again, the error is back.

When I release the areas with no supplies again, error gone.
georgios
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

Post by georgios »

It is said many times that number accuracy doesn't so much matter comparing to game performance. In the same logic, so many economic details doesn't matter too.. Let's remove some of them to make the game faster and more accurate.

For example it is not important to have so many different taxes and social services that in advance have not a serious function to be exploited from the player.

It is better to have few, clear and well working elements than a mess of approximations and errors.
mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by mrgenie »

georgios wrote: Aug 24 2018 It is better to have few, clear and well working elements than a mess of approximations and errors.
2nd that!

Return to “Issues and Support”