In depth analysis of economy?

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

raxo2222
Captain
Human: Yes

Re: In depth analysis of economy?

Post by raxo2222 »

How immigration/emigration work?
Is it closed system - that is total emigration and immigration from all countries are equal?
Or people appear and disappear into thin air?
Is there actual demographics calculated - that is population being divided into age brackets?

Is it possible to have so high immigration, that you can drain population from other countries?

It seems like there is advanced electronics in kids toy.
That is good social/economy simulation hidden so well, that you see only few buttons and couple read outs.
I would like to see whole demographic/economic structure, yearly prediction of GDP/population change and HDI - statistic that uses GDP/c, literacy and life expectancy.

Can be all trade balance be predicted for one year when using annual figures?
For example it could take monthly average and multiply it by 12 to predict income.
If trade balance is stable, then it would be pretty accurate.

What criminal extradition, free trade/flow of labor force treaties do?
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Post by way2co0l »

Well, I'm not 100% certain on immigration. I don't think it's actually a closed system, but I do believe it works relatively similarly. What I mean by that is I believe each nation is competing against the others by a ranked list, and if your country is higher on the list, you benefit more than someone who's worse off. You might have good GDP and DAR, with good social spending and domestic subsidies, but if another country is better in those categories then it will raise the bar on how much you have to give in order to continue achieving the numbers you were.

Now I'll confess, this is pretty much me guessing. I've done no testing on this whatsoever. But I do know that when you start the game with your default taxes and social spending setup and your beginning of game demographic figures for immigration, that if you leave all of those settings alone, your demographic immigration stats will get worse. I believe this is because the AI nations are changing what they started at and are improving which worsens yours relative to theirs. However when you start the game and start improving those categories, you can actually improve on your starting demographic numbers.

Now, maybe this is just me trying to read more into what I'm seeing than is actually there. Or misinterpreting it. Very possible in this instance. That's just my current guess based on passive observations in the past.

As for your other questions:

There is currently no age breakdown.

If my above assumption is correct, you can drain some from the lower countries but other countries which are higher on the list will continue to have a net positive, just not as big a positive as they would if they were higher up, so you really can't drain from everyone. Just the countries that are worse off, and often they will have birth rates which make that inconsequential anyway.

More statistics and graphs is something I'd enjoy as well, but ultimately their resources are limited and have a lot on their plate already. It sounds like a simple thing to add, but would likely require UI work as well as plenty of coding as well for something that's pretty much cosmetic. So it's unlikely right now.

Trade goods being predicted for the year is tough to do, simply because it genuinely does vary quite a lot. If a lot of bulk sales go through one day, it might inflate the yearly average to something quite different than what you'd actually get. I feel there's too much variability to it which is why they don't include that in the annual prediction figures.
raxo2222
Captain

Post by raxo2222 »

I discovered that tax income on Very Easy economy difficulty is cheaty.

Tax revenue to GDP ratio is 1.18 while playing as USA in 1930s, while real values are from as little as 0.02 to above 0.6.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... _GDP_ratio

Lets see Very Hard diffuculty with effective tax rate of 100%.
Its 0.39 here - this is pretty low.

On normal its 0.74.
Hmmmm....
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Post by way2co0l »

Interesting. Yeah I personally never play with economic difficulty any lower than normal. I'm not sure the exact effects so I leave it where it is.
raxo2222
Captain

Post by raxo2222 »

Well you forgot to transfer one question:
What criminal extradition, free flow of labor and free trade treaties actually do?
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Post by way2co0l »

Well, no one really knows the exact effects of them, but they do have minor effects. Criminal extradition has minor effects on crime rating, among other things. Free trade has a minor effect on GDP growth, again among other things. Ect ect. But the exact effects aren't fully known.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

way2co0l wrote:Well, no one really knows the exact effects of them, but they do have minor effects. Criminal extradition has minor effects on crime rating, among other things. Free trade has a minor effect on GDP growth, again among other things. Ect ect. But the exact effects aren't fully known.
They all also improve the relations between two countries...
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

raxo2222 wrote:How immigration/emigration work?
Is it closed system - that is total emigration and immigration from all countries are equal?
I'm absolutely sure they do disappear and appear into thin air from all the testing I've done. Otherwise numbers just wouldn't add up. Every country's immigration/emigration level is calculated separately, independently from other countries so naturally countries are not related. This is sad but you get what you get. This was done much better in Victoria 2 game where immigration and emigration was actual people leaving and coming to a country so you could see some interesting developments, especially in the New World, where your countrymen would begin to live, even if by a few percent sometime, which is exactly how USA was built. But even in Europe for example population movement was rather realistic so you would have more cultural intermixing in border regions for example but very little inlands and it would all depend on various reasons.
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Post by evildari »

Kristijonas wrote:
raxo2222 wrote:How immigration/emigration work?
I'm absolutely sure they do disappear and appear into thin air from all the testing I've done. Otherwise numbers just wouldn't add up. Every country's immigration/emigration level is calculated separately, independently from other countries so naturally countries are not related. This is sad but you get what you get. This was done much better in Victoria 2 game where immigration and emigration was actual people leaving and coming to a country so you could see some interesting developments, especially in the New World, where your countrymen would begin to live, even if by a few percent sometime, which is exactly how USA was built. But even in Europe for example population movement was rather realistic so you would have more cultural intermixing in border regions for example but very little inlands and it would all depend on various reasons.
sounds like an evil idea for a real addon : Supreme Ruler Refugee - now you can watch the population red hex filter moving in realtime...
Maybe its just statistically simulated on a per region level - last time i ruled earth (in SR2020) i had 200.000 people moving out and in.
I don not know yet if it is still there or was removed to gain a few cpu-seconds for 3d...
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

I wish culture, ideology, religion, would exist in SRU. There would be something to fight for then. Now it's just getting plain, faceless territories with uniformed people everywhere.

Return to “General Discussion - SRGW”