What is typical game speed?

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

raxo2222
Captain
Human: Yes

What is typical game speed?

Post by raxo2222 »

I'm playing on 1914 sandbox, currently I have 1937 year and researching 50's/60's stuff.
One day takes 20 seconds.

I'm playing with passive AI, no world volatility and very easy military/economic/diplomatic difficulty.
All countries are at peace.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Re: What is typical game speed?

Post by Balthagor »

If you'd like, send over your savegame and I'll test it out. Please zip the file before sending. Include ticket 21630 in your subject line.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
raxo2222
Captain

Re: What is typical game speed? - 21630

Post by raxo2222 »

Balthagor wrote:If you'd like, send over your savegame and I'll test it out. Please zip the file before sending. Include ticket 21630 in your subject line.
I can upload attachments only up to 2 MB, and save game has 7 MB when compressed.
So I'll use external upload site.

Does it actually matter if I send savegame trough forum post or email?
CPU is Intel i3-3220 and it has nice 3.3 GHz
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I got the file, thanks. We'll do some testing with it to see if we can see anything to optimize.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
raxo2222
Captain

Post by raxo2222 »

It seems like Japan deployed all units....
I'm allied with whole world :p
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Post by evildari »

passive AI and no world volatilty - i would expect world peace

also i play myself at MAXIMUM speed to (usually there is no such thing as peace...)
just the opposite backstabbing AI that attack countries that are already suffering losses - how evil :D
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

raxo2222 wrote: One day takes 20 seconds.
That is considered a norm for modern scenarios and is definitely playable. but I suppose if you started with 1-3 seconds per day then 20 seconds feels like a significant slowdown.

By the way are those 20 seconds on fastest? You should also know that fastest speed circumvents certain calculations in the game making it more simplistic. So if you like to play the game is if it were a real world simulator you might not want to run it at fastest speed. Any other is the same in regards to calculating everything.
raxo2222
Captain

Post by raxo2222 »

Kristijonas wrote:
raxo2222 wrote: One day takes 20 seconds.
That is considered a norm for modern scenarios and is definitely playable. but I suppose if you started with 1-3 seconds per day then 20 seconds feels like a significant slowdown.

By the way are those 20 seconds on fastest? You should also know that fastest speed circumvents certain calculations in the game making it more simplistic. So if you like to play the game is if it were a real world simulator you might not want to run it at fastest speed. Any other is the same in regards to calculating everything.
Yes, I play on fastest speed, I have suspicion, that Japan is slowing down game with deployed units - whole country is covered with them.
There is world peace, so it doesn't make sense for units to be deployed.
Ai is set to passive, no volatility and very easy diplomatic/economy/military diffuculty.
I started on 1914 sandbox with no units. On start one day took 2 - 3 seconds on beginning.
I think game speed during peace would be improved if unit deployement was done as last step for war.

I'm used to other strategies, where up to week passed per second.
On other hand one day was essentially one tick, where in this game hour (or two?) is one tick.
So it seems like this game is 24x (or 12x) times slowed down comparing to other strategies in favor of advanced combat simulation.

Time advances 5 minutes per second on slowest game speed.
Now that is extreme, especially this game coverts 175 years of technological progress, that is more like 50 years, if you have enough money.
What would happen to military combat if one tick would could cover 10x more time?
That is one tick taking like 10 minutes rather than one minute of combat for example.
So economy operates on one day = one tick, while for military its one minute = one tick....
raxo2222
Captain

Post by raxo2222 »

@Balthagor
Did you found it ouy, why Japan has all units deployed?
I'm getting like 5 FPS when viewing Japan :p

I loaded game trough multiplayer... Japan has over 8000 deployed units and it isn't at war.
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Post by way2co0l »

Yeah, that's a little excessive. They're living by the boy-scout code though, prepared for anything!
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Post by evildari »

must be the reason they got nuked (sorry could not resist)
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)
raxo2222
Captain

Post by raxo2222 »

EVILDARI wrote:must be the reason they got nuked (sorry could not resist)
I already know few ICBM designs ;)
amynase
Lt. Colonel

Post by amynase »

@raxo2222

Really nice savegame you got there :)

Besides it deploying too many units, how well is the AI doing in your savegame?
Are they able to keep up with you in terms of research? Are they building units appropriate for the era?
Did the AI repair everything that was damaged in the Great War?
Is the AI able to keep up with you in terms of resource production? Is it building new facilities when it lacks resources?
How much unit production do AI countries have? Did they build a lot of additional ones?
How is the GDP/capita of AI countries? Can they keep up with you?
Is the world economy still stable? Did AI countries run out of any kind of resources?

Sorry for my wall of questions. I am just curious because I am on the fence if I should buy great war and really wanna know if there is economic competition for the player or if you can still just outproduce the AI tenfold in a couple of years like in ultimate. Your savegame just seems perfect to answer my curiosity :D
raxo2222
Captain

Post by raxo2222 »

@Balthagor Did you find any reason why game would be so slow on no volatility, passive ai and very easy military settings?

Also Japan had a lot of units deployed for no reason.
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Japan always seems to have lots of units deployed, out of interest, is Japan at war with anyone or is it also during peacetime?
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040

Return to “General Discussion - SRGW”