1914 war no matter what you do

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

Evil Overlord
Sergeant
Human: Yes

1914 war no matter what you do

Post by Evil Overlord »

trying to play the 1914 sandbox as a grand strategy while trying to avoid war in 1914, but no matter what i do, i cannot stop the war from starting in august 14, really feeling let down by this, there is no way to not play this as a pure war game and having to ignore all politics and economics...
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Re: 1914 war no matter what you do

Post by Balthagor »

Sorry that it's not meeting your expectations, but we had been clear from the outset that the game was set in WW1 and that the start date was the assassination of Franz Ferdinand. Once that happened, our research showed that there really was little chance of avoiding the war.

And I disagree that you can ignore politics and economy, without a solid economy you won't be able to run the war long term and maintaining relations with key regions is also important.

We were also very transparent about the fact that this was a "light development cycle" reflected in the price point of the game. We'd love to have more resources to really expand on the events and interactions, but there just aren't more resources than what we put into the project.

Much of the motivation for this project was a strong push by the community for more content, most often in the form of a request for a WW1 era map. We simply tried to deliver what was asked for within the constraints of available resources.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Evil Overlord
Sergeant

Post by Evil Overlord »

yeah i understand that, not going to grill you over it, i was just hoping that the sandbox (not the campaign) had an option to skip or ignore that line of events to favor the in game engine politics and economics, as once the war(edit: Game :) ) starts there really isnt much you can do to avoid being railroaded into a war, especially if you are playing austria hungary and deciding not to invade serbia as russia will kick off the war on august 10th regardless of any actions taken (even tried to give everything to russia to appease them before the war)
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

If we had more time, we'd have alternate events that, AH not declaring on Serbia would strengthen Russian support from Serbia/Romania and have them start to turn on Bulgaria, who would get German/Turkish support. It would still be war, but a different war. In 1914, war of some kind really was inevitable.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Cdiplayer
Colonel

Post by Cdiplayer »

Can't you just delete all the events in the 1914 scenario? Or do some of them involve border changes? If so, I imagine it wouldn't take too long to just release an event free 1914 that only includes necessary border changes. As I recall you did something similar for 1936.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Cdiplayer wrote:Can't you just delete all the events in the 1914 scenario?
That would be an easy mod.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Evil Overlord
Sergeant

Post by Evil Overlord »

cool, i have not yet started to mod the sr series, but that sounds like a good start to it :)

thank you
mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by mrgenie »

Evil Overlord wrote:trying to play the 1914 sandbox as a grand strategy while trying to avoid war in 1914, but no matter what i do, i cannot stop the war from starting in august 14, really feeling let down by this, there is no way to not play this as a pure war game and having to ignore all politics and economics...
Can also just cheat yourself a bunch of money, "cheat georgeww" once should be sufficient and just keep sending your enemy 2M each offer

after 10,20, 30 offers he's going to like you and you just ask for peace :)

bribery is a valid realistic game changer LOL
[UI-MOD] All-In-One viewtopic.php?f=91&t=31906
billapgh
Corporal

Post by billapgh »

I am playing as the US and so far in 1918 have not joined the war. Interesting to see what will happen. Events such as not seeing Americans die (though one could insinuate that from the various "North Atlantic Convoy attacked" events, and the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimmermann_Telegram not occurring may have impacted US entry.

Return to “General Discussion - SRGW”