AI Question

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

Evil Overlord
Sergeant
Human: Yes

AI Question

Post by Evil Overlord »

have been interested in ai's recently, i was wondering when the AI starts to degrade in relation to how fast the game is running, i.e. if the ai is running at 100% at normal speed versus only running at 80% at fast (or what ever the values are for supreme ruler)

as a side question, have there been any thought as to implementing some form of neural network to help guide the ai's?
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Re: AI Question

Post by YoMomma »

Evil Overlord wrote: as a side question, have there been any thought as to implementing some form of neural network to help guide the ai's?
Yes, it's called none volatility. That was pretty much how it was till there became so many complaints of nothing happening besides Russia and China getting owned because of to many war declarations. The rest never declared war, well maybe Germany or one of the Korea's in 1 out of 20 games.
The higher the volatility the quicker your relations with the world goes bad, this is also for the AI. At very high it is basicly within 1 year.

So what i usually do is start of with none, set alliances thru multiplayer and then up the volatility.
Gameplay 1st
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Post by evildari »

in my experience - unpredictable AI stance - works very good:
you have enough time for diplomacy and economic reforms, way more than in the default aggressive stance, but after 1.5 - 2.5 years some warlord(s) - or you - in some (hopefully distant) country emerge and start declaring wars.

to the OP question about neural AI - implementing an easy drop in / drop out Multiplayer would be way easier to program than a semi-hard AI.
(And this type of Multiplayer is quit sure out of scope for the current SR-Engine)
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)
mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by mrgenie »

Evil Overlord wrote:have been interested in ai's recently, i was wondering when the AI starts to degrade in relation to how fast the game is running, i.e. if the ai is running at 100% at normal speed versus only running at 80% at fast (or what ever the values are for supreme ruler)

as a side question, have there been any thought as to implementing some form of neural network to help guide the ai's?
You mean, if the AI at slower speed makes worse decisions? No it doesn't.

But as a side note: compared to human players the AI always makes a worse decision. However, SR AI is the best on the market without a doubt.
But humans are so filled with ingenuity, come up with something no one ever thought about before.
There's no AI capable of doing that, yet! BG might be able to get a much better AI if they make that part of the game open source.

Just like civilization a nice SDK kit so people can add in their views and give the AI other tactical choices.

For instance, I'd have the AI to probe for entrenched stacks. Since that's my "trick" in the game to make sure an army of 20.000.000 modern troops can't penetrate
a small 10.000 troop army :) If the AI were a human player, he'd simply send 20 or 30 artillery and bye bye my whole trick wouldn't work anymore.

Of send in a few bombers to punch a whole.

best:"both!"

or launch a small nuke..

Nothing of these the AI ever considers.

So, I'd simply look how I play, and beat myself.

I'd ask other players to send in save games where they "beat" the AI .. at that point. and what they do at that point to beat the AI..
and I'll just trial and error how to beat that myself and than program it into the AI.

To avoid performance drain, have specific profiles to combat specific ways how humans try to beat the AI.
and dedicated 1 CPU core specifically to search and find these "tricks" on the map and if found.. flag that specific profile :P

That's an AI that'll going to kick human ass after a few years of enogh people sending in tactics and strategies how they beat the AI.

But right now, AI already is very smart in BG.. but it'll never be perfect.
[UI-MOD] All-In-One viewtopic.php?f=91&t=31906

Return to “General Discussion - SRGW”