Supplies

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Supplies

Post by mrgenie »

This also applies to the other supreme ruler versions.

In wars between China vs India
as well as USA vs Argentina

In late game when most little countries are conquered there's a lot of places where the AI doesn't advance anymore due to lack of supplies.

China can't get over the Himalaya,
south of the mountains are the rivers it can't cross
and between is jungle with no supplies.

Same applies to north vs south Americas and few other places.

So my hypothesis:
-1) AI can't build bridges and/or doesn't use bridge units
-2) AI doesn't build new facilities like supply depot to increase supplies to regions without
-3) AI doesn't build roads/railroads to spread the supplies

To test this, I cheated some bridges, supply depots and railroads into the game at voila, suddenly the war which stalled for 10+ years suddenly continues and
armies advance!

So the AI, how smart it is I must agree, has a huge deficit here as it can't handle supply distribution properly nor does it really actively assess where it's needed
the most and build it.

So my requests:
-1) make the AI build and use bridging vehicles properly
-2) make the AI to assess regions where 10+ units are stuck and evaluate:"stuck & nosupplies?"
if yes, roads/railroads already within 5 or 6 range?
if yes, obviously infrastructure there but just nearest supply center not good enough, build 1 more supply depot at nearest city close to infrastructure
if no, path to build railroad to that plot

-3) if bridging vehicle is necessary.. use it, but also, add an implementation to build new infrastructure "road/railroad" to cross the river later after the front has moved

these 3 points I wish to see added to the new SR engine

Or make like civ parts of the code open source and I'll add it for everyone.
[UI-MOD] All-In-One viewtopic.php?f=91&t=31906
mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Supplies

Post by mrgenie »

Ok, uploading a file here nerves!

First the 2 files are 2.3 and 2.05 MB and I get a message:"can't exceed 2MB!"

So I downsize to 1.3 and 1.5 MB

Then I get the message: "can't exceed 1MB!"

So I downsize to 0.55 and 0.78

now I get a message larger than what I want to post:

"The image must be at least 0 pixels wide, 0 pixels high and at most 1280 pixels wide and 1024 pixels high. The submitted image is 2422 pixels wide and 1393 pixels high."

Could you please change the forum so ALL the restrictions that apply are shown instantly when a user is trying to upload something so I don't have to redo the same
work over and over again.

Just show instantly:
-1) Under 1MB
-2) 1280x1024 maximum!

I mean, it's very short info what a user needs to know, why showing different restrictions each time again and again... just show these 2 all at once!
mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by mrgenie »

Next attempt to upload an example

In the zoomed out version you can see Japan is invading USSR. But it stops at the coastal region because there are no supplies.
The AI doesn't understand to use supply ships, building supply centers, if needed build a military complex + supply center, naval yard, etc.

In the zoomed in version you can see Japan invaded an Island in the east of USSR.
But apart from Zeppelins nothing can cross the water there.

it doesn't build a railroad from the south where there is a military complex with naval facilities to spread supplies north.
it doesn't build a railroad over the water to make sure units can cross
it doesn't use bridging units
it doesn't understand that more north you need a new military complex with supply depot to keep
spreading supplies.

it's stuck like this for years and can't advance.

Nor can USSR defend, because it's units can't get east because there is no supply.

This is a major disadvantage for any AI and I as human player can easily exploit it to beat any AI on these matters.

AI needs to handle infrastructure, supplies, building supply facilities and use bridging units much better
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by mrgenie »

In this pic you can see the Japanese advances..

completely stuck.

On the Island tens of thousands of troops (represented by several hundred units ) stuck without supplies
and the other side of the channel supply trucks without much armed forces but they ran stuck and without supplies
also anyway so no good even if the major force could use bridge units.

BG really needs to work on
-1) bridge units
-2) building bridges
-3) building roads/railroads/infrastructure
-4) building supply centers

also, I have supply airplanes, 10 - 120t.. they don't do anything! haven't seen the AI using them either.

Why can't a plane drop supplies?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
evildari
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

Post by evildari »

i wonder what may be up there - cause the german army moved from west to that northeast black hole, without considering better targets.
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 72&t=27609
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)
mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by mrgenie »

The Question what may be up there is a good one. The military advances of the AI are sometimes what you'd expect from an army general smoking crack.

But that's a very much more difficult issue to solve. My issue is purely related to the supplies. Something that can be overcome programmatically much easier with a few checks.

Or even not checks, have an event:"unit stuck for period of time.." trigger the checks to keep low on CPU performance.

Return to “General Discussion - SRGW”