Airship question

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

Zuikaku
General
Human: Yes

Airship question

Post by Zuikaku »

I have an question for all of you who have been playing SRGW long past beyond WW1.

How is AI handling airships n '20s, 30s or '40s when they become useless?
Is it still building them? Is it still building them untill helicopters become available?
Please teach AI everything!
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Re: Airship question

Post by GIJoe597 »

I cannot remember seeing any past 1930 or so. But, I also have not been specifically looking for them .
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

GIJoe597 wrote:I cannot remember seeing any past 1930 or so. But, I also have not been specifically looking for them .
If that is true, it is a great thing. Can you take a look if you have a savegame?
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

Unfortunately, the only saves I seem to have are from modern times. Not sure were my early saves are. Not played in several months.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

OK, thanks.

And just one more question: AI still does not build research facilities? 2-3 research facilities per major world power just seems inadequate for the long term games.
mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by mrgenie »

at some point in future as tech advances (I'm in the 50's) the AI won't build them anymore.

But not all AI advances tech fast enough to be realistic. So while I build jet fighters and some AI turboprop
most AI still build these old airships. Of course such an AI will be losing big time and absorbed if it comes to war.

Which leads us to the real point:"research progress"

indeed AI doesn't keep pace with a human player when it comes to research. I usually build 6, as I found 7 research
simultaneously is fast enough to outperform any other world power and thus guarantee I win any future conflict.

With my game in the 50's 100 of my tanks are strong enough to beat 2000 enemy tanks of the next best
AI. Basically I just run the game to optimize economy and see how the game evolves. I just let it run background.

SR really is a tactical war-game and not long-term-strategy-planning. It could be and I'm sure if BG finds the time in future
they might just do that. But currently the game is more or less to fight 1 war and not for long term country development
as even with the Netherlands on the long term you'll be able to wage war against the USA/China/Russia/Japan/India/Brasil/UK/France
all at once and beat the crap out of them even if they attack you all at once.

On the short term, if they attack you even France will kick your ass being NL.

So that's the realistic scenario:"short term, making alliances, defense, hold out long enough for another major power to help you.."
or play GErmany vs France, etc.. that's the realistic scenario where this game is meant for.

But if you're going 30-40 years. You play and win the actual scenario for this game: not loosing the first war...
but after that, that's not where this game is meant for, because you will build infrastructure, industry, roads, railroads, research
and i.e. with Sweden in WWII i joined France, we got our ass kicked, so I gave up France, held out long enough against Germany for
Russia and UK to weaken them. When I got strong enough, i made allies with Denmark and Netherlands. Cut off from Germany piece by piece
while Germany/Austria fighting Russia/UK. Russia/UK weakened they started getting at me again but I build up enough defenses to hold out.
But my advance was halted! Permanently, couldn't move further into Germany, after conquering 5% of Germany.
Germany couldn't reconquer either, but Austria was winning from Russia and UK started to loose on the water! So that
threatened my support from Sweden to my conquered German lands. So I made an alliance with the USA and kept buying troops from the US.
With these troops I opened a new front close to UK, once I established a beach head, UK started to sending in troops it didn't do before, drawing
German troops from my area so I could advance further. But not Italy and Turkey already joining Germany and stalemate Austria/Russia
so again I got stuck, just enough support to keep the defense line up. No chance to advance.
So I started cheap tactics buying military goods from all world markets whatever I could, even if not needed as my army wasn't nearly the size
to burn that stockpile, but it kept the Germans and Austrians from getting enough military goods. thus now Russia pushing back
and drawing German troops to help Austria, again allowed me to gain more..

That's what this game is meant for, that's the first war..

once that's over *in this case me conquering half of Germany, Poland, UK got France, Italy released as new nation, Austria under Russian rule.

I got the economy to build up, then more research as the others. developed artillery with greater range as Norway/Denmark, better tanks as the british, etc.
and declared war on them one after the other.. just very slowly expanding..

Once you reach that point, game over, you won. AI won't increase research. Where I see:"aha oil, but supplies 0 or 10? I build roads, railroads, supply depots, etc.."
AI deosn't do that.

So it's not a nation building long term strategy game *yet*
[UI-MOD] All-In-One viewtopic.php?f=91&t=31906
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

So, in your long term games... AI is still all in railroads? No roads at all... anywhere?
mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by mrgenie »

Zuikaku wrote:So, in your long term games... AI is still all in railroads? No roads at all... anywhere?
Only where I build them. Ai doesn't build them. AI doesn't care about supplies.

This is basically stopping any advance:
USA moving into south Americas simply stops because of the lack of supplies
Japan invading Russia stops before central Asia
Russia defending with units stops in central Asia
China invading Tibet and India stops either in Himalaya or rain-forest south of the mountains.
Wars in Africa/Saudi/etc. stop because of lack of supplies.

No roads, no supply centers..

You need to login to that country using multiplayer, build them for the AI manually, and load
back as your own country to continue playing.
[UI-MOD] All-In-One viewtopic.php?f=91&t=31906
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

And also, AI does not repair facilities!

Thank you for the info.

Return to “General Discussion - SRGW”