Map Editor works !

This forum has been archived. Please use the new modding forum. If you need to retrieve a thread from here, contact BattleGoat.

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

Fistalis
General
Human: Yes

Re: Map Editor works !

Post by Fistalis »

BuffaloSoldier wrote:Can somebody pls explain to me how to use this magnificent thing?I dont understand the instructions above...
Create a link and add -mapeditor to the end properties of the link.. for SRGW. Haven't looked into getting it to work for SRU.

Figuring out the how to use the map editor once you get in is even more "fun"
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
BuffaloSoldier
Sergeant

Post by BuffaloSoldier »

Fistalis wrote:
BuffaloSoldier wrote:Can somebody pls explain to me how to use this magnificent thing?I dont understand the instructions above...
Create a link and add -mapeditor to the end properties of the link.. for SRGW. Haven't looked into getting it to work for SRU.

I succed it thanks now to create scenario whats the procedure?
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

BuffaloSoldier wrote:
Fistalis wrote:

I succed it thanks now to create scenario whats the procedure?
editor only allows to make map adjustments.. rest of a scenario is going to need to be done the old way. So brush up on old how to's as far as editing files and caching. This doesn't replace the old text adjustment modding..it just gives us the ability to do things we couldn't with the old modding methods. That is.. edit resources, loyalty, etc.. and even go so far as to make brand new maps for custom scenarios..For example a North american map for more localize scenario or a map of Mars etc. But most of the modding for creating a new scenario will still be done via text files. At least in it's current function.. not sure what sort of functionality is planned for it in the future considering it wasn't even ready for release yet in BG's eyes.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Technically speaking, are the maps from SRU different from those of Sr2020/SRCW? Basically would someone be able to load a SR2020/SRCW map and make some small modifications to it with the inbuilt SRU/SRGW editor so that it could then be used in SR2020/SRCW?
Cdiplayer
Colonel

Post by Cdiplayer »

Wait, so we can use this to create new nations and edit borders? Finally!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Be sure that number sequences used in your maps also exist in the .cvp file. ie block 18 owner 08 needs a region 1808 in the cvp.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Balthagor wrote:Be sure that number sequences used in your maps also exist in the .cvp file. ie block 18 owner 08 needs a region 1808 in the cvp.
To expand on this.. much of the data the map editor loads is from the classic text files... in order for instance to replace rubber with another resource you would need to do that in the classic text files first then use the editor. As well as balt pointed out needing to cross reference between the two.
BuffaloSoldier
Sergeant

Post by BuffaloSoldier »

So I've tried and I failed in my atempt...I add more Petroleum in Russia saved the map and just re-cached the 1914.SAV and nothing im missing something here.
bob12333
Lieutenant

Post by bob12333 »

EVILDARI wrote:Just in case no one noticed yet:

try that commandline/link option "-mapedit" like here:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Supreme Ruler Great War\SupremeRulerGreatWar.exe" -mapedit

fully functional mapeditor YAY

with some work like copying \scenario\Custom\mapeditor.scenario it works also with SRU
but i guess that maps edited within SRGW can run with SRU
with a custom mapeditor.scenario it is also possible to load your added facilities in the editor.

be aware that the mapeditor ALWAYS (no matter what you write in the .scenario file) safes to the files Mapeditor.mapx and Mapeditor.oof.

check that little island near greenland
I have supreme ruler ultimate not Supreme ruler great war. Is there a map editor for supreme ruler ultimate? IF not, why isn't there? also if there is 1, how do I get it to work on my Mac?
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Post by evildari »

BuffaloSoldier wrote:So I've tried and I failed in my atempt...I add more Petroleum in Russia saved the map and just re-cached the 1914.SAV and nothing im missing something here.
as i mentioned before the editor does only safe in the "mapeditor" files, even if you changed the mapeditor.scenario to load ie. "1914.mapx" it will safe to "mapeditor.mapx"

copy that mapeditor.mapx file to ie. 1914oilrushinrussia.mapx
copy your favorite 1914 or whatever scenario and give it a similiar name (so you can find it easier) - edit the mapfile to ie. "1914oilrushinrussia.mapx"
recache it then you can play it with your edits.

@bob12333
read my first few posts slowly again - it involves some work but yes the editor is also in SR Ultimate - at least on PC - dont have a mac
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)
defcon252-2009
Private

Post by defcon252-2009 »

can someone make a video on how to do this i'm having trouble doing this.
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Post by evildari »

sorry i cant make videos.

If you have SR GW then you can simply run the editor as shown in first post.

Integrating the changes in a modded scenario takes way more steps.
-renaming map and OOF file
-making a scenario that uses that changed map and use a different cache (sav) name http://www.supremewiki.com/node/59
-caching it http://www.supremewiki.com/node/14

should be enough for small scale edits
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)
vahadar
Colonel

Post by vahadar »

Balthagor wrote:Be sure that number sequences used in your maps also exist in the .cvp file. ie block 18 owner 08 needs a region 1808 in the cvp.
Hmm wait, i have a question there.
Can we create any 2 digits block num we want?
So the limit of countries for each block num is 99?

Ie block num 1 and owner 01 is country id 101 Egypt in .cvp

But will block num 50 and country 01 can be my modded country 5001 id?
Block nums dont go over 30 in .cvp as far i see. That is already 30*99 possible countries or so. What block num can modders safely use assuming Battlegoats wont create any country owner for?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

vahadar wrote:But will block num 50 and country 01 can be my modded country 5001 id?

Yes.

It's fairly safe to use a number range like that. We haven't added blocks since SR2020.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

We had a bit more discussions about the mapeditor recently. One of our barriers was that we have always used place holder images for the mapeditor. While it doesn't need great images, we'd like them to be less confusing. The idea came up that perhaps the community could help with some of this. Anyone feel like making some images? Also, this document my give a bunch of clues on the functions of the different buttons;

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1q2A ... sp=sharing

Any images created should be small enough to post in this thread. We'd welcome any help on this so we can focus on the function, not the visuals.

Cheers.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Modding SRGW”