3D modelling

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

sparky282
Colonel
Human: Yes

Re: 3D modelling

Post by sparky282 »

whats the name of
1768 Cougar 6X6 MRAP

struggling to find it in units list
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Chances are it is not there. Several of the models I have made are not. The Type 10 Hitomaru (the in-game J-10A is fictive), Type 99 HSP, Izumo class DDH and Strike cruiser are some examples. Of the upcoming models the YB-60 or H-20 are not there either from what I can tell.

Several other models like the Akizuki DDG and Type 03 Chū-SAM was not there either when I made them.

Naturally some of my ideas like turning Yamato class battleships into 21st century VLS armed Aegis battleships or building a Forrestal sized supercarrier based on the Izumo are not there either.

The Cougar 6X6 would probably be best used as some sort of motorised infantry with hardening one step above soldiers in a regular truck but less than an IFV. What units qualify for this I am not sure.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

ok thanks for the info

I guess some thing like the VAB or RN-94 stats would be about right around 20-22 close and ground defence figures
If you think the light infantry in trucks has say 18 for both I think that sounds about fair?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

In terms of protection those are probably not far off given that they are resistant to small arms fire and mines/IED's which is basically the purpose of a MRAP.

There is also a unit called "medium infantry" (ID 607, 630 and 631) with tech level 102-104. Currently these use a HMMWV model to represent them but the US version (ID 607) at least would not use the HMMWV for such a role.
Technically the US would probably use the Oshkosh L-ATV but given that no such model exist and that you can consider the L-ATV an improved MRAP as it basically does the same but on a lighter frame the Cougar MRAP is probably a good fit.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Is Patria AMV still on the table or has it been scrapped?
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Nothing has been scrapped but everything is under time constraints and in that situation I have generally decided to pick models with less time requirements such as aircraft. There might also end up being some submarines as again they are fast to make. Then there is some US Navy and PLAN vessels that are fairly far along so they might also be an option.

The Patria still has an ID on my reference spreadsheet but right now I will not give any timeframe on completion of it or anything else as it will basically just be me making a random guess.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Thanks, I appreciate the answer!
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

something for the FRES of the UK would be cool.
This unit design is nothing like the Ajax we will eventually end up with possibly modified cv90 could do this job? not sure if that more or less work though
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Neri, one more question...how hard would it be for you to use the same shade of green for "international" camouflage of vehicles? So far, most of the ones you made used different shade
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

sparky282 wrote: Mar 04 2018 something for the FRES of the UK would be cool.
This unit design is nothing like the Ajax we will eventually end up with possibly modified cv90 could do this job? not sure if that more or less work though
The Ajax is an interesting vehicle. It will be close enough to the ASCOD that it can probably also pretend to be this. Finding reference for the ASCOD is also fairly easy which is a good thing. Converting it into an Ares APC also appears to be fairly doable.
Instead of trying to turn the CV90 into this I think it might be better to specifically make an ASCOD/Ajax and have a good base.

The Boxer AFV is also a vehicle I am planning to do at some point and given that it was a candidate for the original FRES competition and now MIV making a UK regional texture could be an option.
As with everything though I really will not give any timeframe right now.
number47 wrote:Neri, one more question...how hard would it be for you to use the same shade of green for "international" camouflage of vehicles? So far, most of the ones you made used different shade
You mean using something like this colour for the default texture?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 2009_8.jpg
Assuming I have a value for the colour (which if nothing else macOS colour picker can probably get me) changing a single tone texture set is less than a minutes work (on new vehicles that is).
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Not sure if I articulated what I meant correctly. I wasn't asking for Patria specifically... Currently, if a country without regional textures buys lets say 3 different ground units you made (for example, cv90, t-90 & T-72), they will all be in a different shade of green (if it is not a desert country). All I was asking is if you could pick one shade of green and use that one as international texture for all of your possible future ground units (redoing all the existing ones would take to much of your time so you could leave them as they are) to avoid multiple different shades within the same user...if this is too much of a hassle, ignore my question as this is quite trivial thing. :D
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

It is probably down to my attempts at applying shading to try and make details stand out. The base colour is pretty much the same but the effects layers do change it a bit.

I will try and see if I can make it more uniform.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

Nerei wrote: Mar 04 2018
sparky282 wrote: Mar 04 2018 something for the FRES of the UK would be cool.
The Ajax is an interesting vehicle. It will be close enough to the ASCOD that it can probably also pretend to be this. Finding reference for the ASCOD is also fairly easy which is a good thing. Converting it into an Ares APC also appears to be fairly doable.
Instead of trying to turn the CV90 into this I think it might be better to specifically make an ASCOD/Ajax and have a good base.

The Boxer AFV is also a vehicle I am planning to do at some point and given that it was a candidate for the original FRES competition and now MIV making a UK regional texture could be an option.
As with everything though I really will not give any timeframe right now.
yes thats fair enough the work you are doing is great and its really improved the gameplay for me seeing an actual a400m or merlin fly over is much more fun that merlin model is so good by the way!

glad to hear your interested in the ajax and boxer though I use both if we get the ASCOD out of it as well all the better :-)
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I will try and shift priorities a bit. Still no promises about time.

The Patria will probably be based on the Polish Rosomak to be specific as unlike with the Finnish version is actually a vehicle I can find fairly good reference for. It means it will technically be a turreted IFV but converting it into an APC with say a remote weapons station will be possible.
It will also make it more distinct from the Boxer which will be a fairly standard ICV. I have not decided if it gets a remote weapons station or standard HMG.
I will try and specifically make the Ajax but there might be slight differences as by far the best orthographic reference I can find is for the ASCOD.

I also hope to get the T-55 done within reasonable time. This one is going to be interesting as I will be trying to both get a TR-85 and regular Soviet T-55 working from the same 512 square texture map and also have the option of turning it into a bridgelayer. If all else fails the TR-85 might end up basically being a Jumboisation of the T-55.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

I can say enough how much I appreciate your time and effort put into this project...may life repay you with all the best! 8)

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”