SRGW as a DLC vs. stand alone

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

SRGW as a DLC vs. stand alone

Post by Balthagor »

Hello,

While it seems a bit strange to have this conversation after the release, we continue to be surprised by how much players have asked for this. So we thought we should get some direct community feedback on a idea that we're considering to make SRGW available as a DLC as well. Here is how it would work;

- SRGW DLC would have all the content of SRGW stand alone.
- SRGW DLC would be the same price.
- If a user owns SRGW as a stand alone and owns SRU, the DLC is added to their account for free.
- If a user owns SRU and purchases SRGW as a DLC, the stand alone is added to their library at the same price and vice versa if buying the stand alone.

We have determined that the total development resources to support this are reasonable, that it would have only a small impact on our ongoing timelines.

So, yeah. Thoughts?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Re: SRGW as a DLC vs. stand alone

Post by way2co0l »

I endorse this. I dislike things that take away from my personal priorities but I simply think this needs to be done. And this arrangement sounds like it'd satisfy everyone. I can't think of any obvious issues so I'll leave it at that. :)
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

This is good, very good. Also, where is the cake option?
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

I support this.. but it is worth mentioning i think you should Emphasize a person is getting Both the stand alone and the expansion/DLC for the price... otherwise the "omg 20$ for a DLC" threads on steam are sure to follow.

That being said.. i think it's less that people "WANT" it to be an expansion for SRU and more that it seems perfectly tailored to be such. Especially considering you're already back porting the engine changes. Also it being an expansion/DLC comforts those people who want to see continued development of SRU.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

Lets just say im happy you guys made your money of WW1 and lets focus on SRU :P Some simple modding applications would be nice so we dont have to fiddle with the commas not knowing what they mean besides all the suggestions on this forum.
Gameplay 1st
vahadar
Colonel

Post by vahadar »

I would say yes, add GW as dlc to SRU 8O
I'm working for 2+ years now on a revamped 1936 mod (when i have time), and having the .units file from ww1 interest me much for that purpose.
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Post by evildari »

Nice - i like that a lot - will save me lots of space on my ol' SSD
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

It seems like a fair approach and as someone that prefers modern times over the great war I tend to like the idea that ultimate is not left behind.
Also this way ultimate has a far better claim to being the ultimate version.
vahadar wrote:I would say yes, add GW as dlc to SRU 8O
I'm working for 2+ years now on a revamped 1936 mod (when i have time), and having the .units file from ww1 interest me much for that purpose.
I am fairly sure you already have all the units from the great war included.
ZEvans96
Major

Post by ZEvans96 »

So from what I understand you guys plan on adding a "rail transport" option and are working out the kinks right now, would a change like that be able to to put in to a "dlc SRGW"?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Any engine improvements will be made in both engines even if we just stay with the stand alone. The DLC option really is cosmetic.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

I have no strong position either way. I do however wonder about a few things. If it is made as DLC, would it simply add the 1914 and 1917 starts to SRU? Would you then be able to start SRU in 1914 and play on through 2020 and beyond?

What about the work which was done to make the SRGW save compatible with SRU? Would that time and resources now be wasted? If it is the same price, what really are the Steam kiddies asking for? It makes no sense to me spend time reworking it, if you can accomplish the same thing now by moving a save to SRU. (I notice units and techs which seem to have issues, bad stats, duplicates, etc., almost daily). I have taken to trying to ignore them for now, but I wonder if time/resources should be spent of correcting all these issues?

NOTE: I just drove 1500 miles, I hope this makes sense.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

GIJoe597 wrote:...If it is the same price, what really are the Steam kiddies asking for?...
I remain a bit baffled myself...

But the effort is not massive, it is reasonable to consider doing the work.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Yes please! I really want the Ultimate edition to be the Ultimate edition and have every scenario there is in it and have the latest support. Just like to have everything in one place and knowing for a fact that SRGW doesn't have any improvements SRU doesnt have :D In this way - it will be a powerful statement of not abandoning SRU yet, too. And also who knows, maybe one day you will make another DLC for SRU and make many people happy :)
As a matter of fact making SRGW into an optional DLC might just be a selling point for me because I'm really not a fan of WW1 era so I'd only be curious to play around a little bit and that's all. But if it's a DLC for SRU then I'm definitely interested in having the full and latest SRU with any optionalities it might have without having to install a separate game just to mess around with.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

That is a logical and coherent statement.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Pax25
Colonel

Post by Pax25 »

I already own both, but would prefer to have all the scenarios in one game.
"In any good multiplayer wargame, the only 'house rule' that should be needed, is that there are no rules." -Pax25
GameRanger # 406426

Return to “General Discussion - SRGW”