Editing a saved game

Have a question about how to mod something? Or have an issue with one of our mod tools? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

HerrDak
Sergeant
Human: Yes

Editing a saved game

Post by HerrDak »

Im having a great game with México starting in 1914... Now is 1945 and the Great War is finally over with France conquering Germany, Austria-Hungary, Eastern Europe and the Balkans with the help of China, an independent Ukraine and the creation of the Soviet Union. At this point France is a "big blob" and China has the biggest military Industry and Army in the world, I have some ideas to make my game more interesting creating a "post war scenario",

Well, now we have 2 Super Powers ,France (a democracy) and China (a Dictatorship), I want to edit the saved game to create a scenario where France liberate the conquered nations and create an alliance between them (like some kind of "NATO") to defend Europe from the Eastern Totalitarism (Soviet Union and China) and an Alliance between these two authoritarian powers to face the West, and, also change the sphere of influence with France and China as leaders of the new factions.

¿Its possible to edit only the saved game? ¿There are some guides to do it? ¿its very hard?

Thank you in advance.
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Editing a saved game

Post by evildari »

I don't know a way to "edit" a savegame to make changes to the regions (countries liberated by france joining them in a full nato-WP-style alliance)
but i guess a small workaround should do it:

1. export your savegame as a new cache (..its just a copy of your .sav file to the \cache folder)
2. make a scenario that uses this cache
(i would take the same scenario file you used to start that game, make a copy of it ,
rename to something like WW1Aftermath to easily identify, edit that scenario file to use your exported cache)

3. then for liberating those countries you could use events:
see vahadars very detailed tutorial http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=26056

4. add those in a custom .csv that is also mentioned in your scenario file.

but for balance reasons i would rather leave France as a big blob.
Don't forget to post it!
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)
HerrDak
Sergeant

Post by HerrDak »

Thank you for your help EVILDARI.

I was making a few tries with your instructions but at this point I cant do the things right.

I edited the scenario file to load the Cache File (My .SAV game) and the starting date, trying to "revive" the regions conquered by france with the events. But, when the scenario starts its exactly the same scenario of 1914 just starting in 1947...

¿What Im doing wrong? I thought that the Scenario would be equal to the Cache File.

All is placed in the correct folders with the same scenario and cache new names.

Thank you.
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Post by evildari »

here a few screenshots:

1. copy your savegame to the cache folder
2. copy the sandboxscenario you used to start your game - in the same folder and rename it
3. edit the new sandboxscenario file: a) input your games cache name without the .sav suffix b) enter new date for extra flavor

(too bad that inserting images just show up the wrong way...)
unfortunately something seems wrong with my install
i get two 1914 and 1917 campaigns - and selecting germany of this mod makes me head of denmark...
but thats how you can export savegames as a new scenario.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
HerrDak
Sergeant

Post by HerrDak »

Thank you EVILDARI, it worked, but, I have your same problem.... When I select Mexico the Game give me a different country, in this case El Salvador.

The two 1914 and 1917 Campaigns was an error from the developers when they add The Great War game as a DLC for Supreme Ruler Ultimate, they will solve this in the next patch I think.

¿Any idea how I can solve the selecting country problem? So I can begin testing with events.

Here are some photos of the Post War Scenario.

evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Post by evildari »

maybe it is an issue with non-existing nations - maybe removing eliminated region helps - i dont know how to solve this.
my mods
HerrDak
Sergeant

Post by HerrDak »

Well, I tried a lot of things today and nothing worked... I will begin a new game with another country and continue this one when I find a solution to the problem.

¡Thank you for your help!
Vonthoma
Warrant Officer

Post by Vonthoma »

Hi, there as I see you are trying to edit a save file ...
would need the same,
but want to import or better overwrite that default.unit data.
that SR1914.sav from SRU has some errors, apart that all AI nations are broken,
because of two reasons

1.) Energyproduction is to few, found out that at least ALL energy plants needs double production, that AI has a chance to survive longer than 10 years
2.) Military production even needs to be 5 times higher, or AI is dead after 5 years

I don't think anyone from BG has ever played that DLC because the AI is broken always after 5 years, started the game as Germany, Japan and Sweden ...
ALL AIs has been dead after 5 years , somehow a joke ...

anyway, edited the default.unit file, when I start a new game, all is fine ...
but IS IT POSSIBLE TO INSERT, that new values into an old save game, which is beeing used as chache file ?

I would need that, for my MP game with my brother, as he wouldn't play a second game with me and we already have played 10 years (most of the time on slow/normal , so you could imagine how much time has been used for that) ...

So I would start the game as a new SP game and insert the data and after that use it as save for our MP game to continue it , any idea ?
THANKS

PS: I don't understand why the BG Devs didn't want to rebalance that production values, when they see SINCE YEARS and I am playing BG games since the start, when the first game has been released, and there WAS ALWAYS THAT ENERGY and MILITARY GOODS problem, which the AI was never able to solve, so what is the reason not to balance the output, that it is possible for the AI to compete longer than 3-5 years against a human ? It would be a simple fix and nowadays the cache building needs only some minutes ... so after one afternoon all cache files would have been rebuilt ? THAT PROBLEM ruins more from the playing fun than it has any reason, why it shouldn't be changed.
So any explainable reason, why we still have that after near 18 years ?
Thanks

PPS: Please make it possible to #insert any data into a cached/save game and if the values are already there, they should be replaced
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Post by evildari »

I think you can already insert at least some data in the .scenario files:
it works at least for the "&&OOF 0," part - was able to inject some facilities to egypt without touching cache or something else.
Should work with the units stats the same way as an overwrite.

Did you manage to inject the &&rawprod section also in that way ? (never tried that)
And could you start your new "savegame" without any problems - i had issues that i got wrong countries in game compared to my selection in the lobby.

if you solve that electricity issue, then you will run into that limited and later extreme expensive rubber production issue.
my mods
Vonthoma
Warrant Officer

Post by Vonthoma »

evildari wrote:I think you can already insert at least some data in the .scenario files:
it works at least for the "&&OOF 0," part - was able to inject some facilities to egypt without touching cache or something else.
Should work with the units stats the same way as an overwrite.

Did you manage to inject the &&rawprod section also in that way ? (never tried that)
And could you start your new "savegame" without any problems - i had issues that i got wrong countries in game compared to my selection in the lobby.

if you solve that electricity issue, then you will run into that limited and later extreme expensive rubber production issue.
As it is for the SRU game , I continued the discussion there.
THANK YOU for giving some hints and help

Return to “Modding Issues & Support”