Text Tech Tree???

Discuss Research and Social Aspects of the game here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

Eric Larsen
Colonel

Text Tech Tree???

Post by Eric Larsen »

Is there a printable text tech tree? Something that might fit on a normal 8x11 page or pages of paper? I found the nice tech tree .pdf file but noticed it would be a job for Kinko's to see if they could print that 96"x36" image. I sure wish there were a tech tree text file that would not only include the tech names but their descriptions and other pertinent info. That would be very useful.
Eric Larsen
BattleGoat
General
Human: Yes

Post by BattleGoat »

The tech tree would not be readable on a 8.5 x 11 piece of paper. Do what we did... Print it out on several pages (I forget the exact size) then cut and tape the pages together!
- David
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

We printed it at 2 pages high, 3 pages wide in landscape format.

Even at that size, the text is quite small, but it is a big tech tree ;)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Eric Larsen
Colonel

Where's the Text???

Post by Eric Larsen »

Balthagor wrote:We printed it at 2 pages high, 3 pages wide in landscape format.

Even at that size, the text is quite small, but it is a big tech tree ;)
Chris,
Yes I could have done the cut-and-paste thing with my spiffy printer but I knew it would be rather tough to read not to mention handle. Plus it would still not give me all that pertinent R&D data I'd like to see. I'm surprised BG didn't do a plain text document of the pages of tech data put together just so that we can have it in one handy document to see what techs there are and what they do.

While the tech tree .pdf file is nice it just is too unwieldy and uninformative. While it shows what leads to what it does not explain what anything is. I sure hope that BG will provide a text document of the tech tree compiling all those nice pages of tech items in the game in a format that would be easier for SR2010 customers to peruse at their leisure.

I mean how else does a budding supreme ruler go about conquering the world if he doesn't have the correct "intel"??? :D

One thing is that your tech tree & R&D routine is light years ahead of hearts of iron's. While you list a "suggested" time to complete a research that does not mean you can just count on it to be absolutely done on that "suggested" day, unlike in hoi where you could just count up the days of the research items needed for the A bomb and know for certain when you'd get it.
Eric Larsen
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Glad you're enjoying the tech tree, we are quite proud of it. :)

You could always look at the source spreadsheet, it should be in the custom folder of the game...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
szabfer
Captain

Post by szabfer »

Cant we have a tech tree where at least the unlocked unit designs are displayed as well. Please, please, please :D
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

well, this PDF does include the entire tech tree. If you prefer, open the techtree.csv in the /Custom folder with any spreadsheet program.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
szabfer
Captain

Post by szabfer »

Yes, I know that all techs present in the PDF, but it is a little bit hard to figure out from the csv files, what tech should I research if I want to get a specific unit type.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

... then I don't understand what you're asking for. You're not suggesting adding unit names onto the PDF are you?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
powercell
Colonel

Post by powercell »

Are you referring to this one?

The 3 buttons at the bottom are (left to right):
Require Technologies
Accessible Technologies or Projects
Accessible Unit Designs

It's pretty nice (at least it is helpful for me). First, you may have to select a tech that is a requirement for unit design. Then, you can go to the last tab, double click on the unit that is greyed out (means you not acheive it yet), it will list all techs that are required before you can research the unit design. Any that is greyed out, you will have to start researching on it.
szabfer
Captain

Post by szabfer »

Balthagor wrote:... then I don't understand what you're asking for. You're not suggesting adding unit names onto the PDF are you?
Well... that is exactly what I thougth :) Maybe it is impossible because the huge number of units for a single tech, but I'm not sure...
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

yes, there are simply too many. There must be at least 60 boats using "Anti-Sub warfare" for example.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Department of Interior - Research and Social Services”